FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hammer-ons and pull-offs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malum  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Hammer-ons and pull-offs Reply with quote

I have a bone to pick with these. I've only played the demo version of the game, but if the demo is anything like the real chart style, it's so hard to tell normal notes from hammer-ons and pull-offs. Like, seriously, just make the notes a little bit smaller, but have them all look the same? Figuring out what was a hammer-on and what wasn't was pretty much a guessing game, and I found myself screwing up my combo every single time. Don't know if anyone else had the same problem, but it definitely annoyed me
t4kobuck3t  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with this whatsoever. The HO/PO system is way more fun than GH3's is for me and there is no "guessing game" with me. Maybe GH3's 5000 candlepower Hammer-On's spoiled you?

I'd tap that.
phoenix4417  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I guess im "spoiled" because In the solo's I find my-self strumming almost every single note until its up to a speed where I know it has to be a HO/PO. I can't tell when it is smaller half the time and its not worth it to guess when you can just strum them all.

I wish they made it better but oh well. I really only have trouble in some of the solos though, other than that I can get all the HO/POs. Plus sometimes the star power notes mess me up because they are white and i forget to strum. Ofcourse I only played one song on the guitar so I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Get 100% on 60 songs on expert [x]
Get 100% on 65 songs on expert [ ] (63)

I could easily have all of these goals finished but I never play GH3 much and when I do I am not going for these goals lol. I usually just play coop/PFO.
chillzatl  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the same way the first few songs, but you'd be surprised how quickly your brain/eyes adjust adn you just see the mini-notes as clearly as you ever have in the GH series.
VanekAttack26  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the timing for the HO/PO's compared to the GH games? I have heard you need to be pretty spot on to hit them. Is it pretty similar to GH2's HO/POs?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strum every note anyway because my fretting hand has a tendency to move to the next button early. So I don't like to risk it. But I don't have an issue telling what's a hammer on. Maybe it's the HDTV.
phoenix4417  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah I strum every note that is easy enough to strum when I see HO/POs coming to lessen the risk of messing up. Ive been trying to play GH3 less and less so I can play GH2 and rock band since they are very similar on timing. My friends are pissed though because they wanted me to get my score up to around 650k on TTFAF lol. Oh well.
Get 100% on 60 songs on expert [x]
Get 100% on 65 songs on expert [ ] (63)

I could easily have all of these goals finished but I never play GH3 much and when I do I am not going for these goals lol. I usually just play coop/PFO.
malklavious  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanekAttack26 wrote:
How is the timing for the HO/PO's compared to the GH games? I have heard you need to be pretty spot on to hit them. Is it pretty similar to GH2's HO/POs?

It is a fairly tight window, nothing like GH3's wide open HO/PO window. I'd dare say it's even a little tighter than GH2 but not as bad as GH1. Granted I'm only a Hard player who dabbles in Expert, maybe an Expert pro can give some insight...
Kataris  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The window is slightly more compact than GH2, but definitely more do-able than GH1.

And I believe the formula for HO/POs is the same as GH2.
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
zfigo  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it more compact than Gh2.

I always tried not to play long sessions of gh3 because the wide range of error just makes me lose precision. Its good to have now a game that will increase it from the gh2 style. However I did like that the GH3 are easy to spot, the Rock Band HO/PO's take some time to get used to and spot.
cyk0tik  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not real fond of the ho/po's in this game. Not only the fact that they are somewhat hard to 'see', but also that the window is even tighter than GH2. I don't know why, but it seems like you have to hit the ho/po's early in this game. Like sometimes it seems you can never hit solo sections even a little late.
R3venG  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Harmonix programmer himself confirmed the Rock Band timing window is not smaller than GH2.

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1979
powahouse  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright. great to know all of this stuff for when i actually get the ps2 version this christmas. i was worried that the hammer on/pull offs were simply based on instinct or something. i can't wait...and i hope to god it's as good as some say it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
Powder  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another issue that varies from person to person I think. I play with two other friends. I have no problem at all recognizing HO/POs. One friend can't seem them worth a damn and strums everything. Another sort of finds a middle ground between us.

I think it's just how some people's brains work that affects whether or not they can recognize them. A option to change how they look would be much appreciated by the masses I think.
Jaguar  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the RB HOPOs easier to see than the GH1/2 HOPOs (but obviously much harder to see than the GH3 ones).

In fact, I still can't really make out the GH1/2 HOPOs very well -- I've just learned that when notes are "close enough together" that they're HOPOs and go from there.

My complaint about the RB HOPOs is that it's still really difficult to pick out the random strums from in the middle of a long HOPO chain. I think GH3 needed to make its HOPOs so visible because there were so many random strums; RB doesn't have nearly as many, but they're still annoying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: