FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to hit the "Ow" in Next to You! [Updated 8/18]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trg007  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: How to hit the "Ow" in Next to You! [Updated 8/18] Reply with quote

UPDATE 8/18/08: It has been discovered that changing calibration settings to certain values on the PS3 version of Rock Band can induce the so-called "talky glitch" that automatically hits any talky (including Next to You's "Ow") without any player input. Discussion of the glitch and the official response from SH staff can be found here.

At this time, there is no indication that changing calibration on the Xbox 360 version leads to this glitch, although there is still the very rare chance that one could encounter the talky glitch during normal gameplay. As usual, you are expected to use the honor system when posting scores and not post an FC score if you know it was the result of the talky glitch.

I just thought this up tonight and it may be totally crazy, but I think I may have found a method that could slightly increase one's chances of hitting the Ow, given enough time and experimentation. Using Bill's method of visualizing the timing window, I haven't had any luck; I've gotten some good OKs but not a single Strong. I then got to thinking, what if there's a way to use an audio cue to time your "oh" sound with, and it turns out there is a drum pattern that occurs right before the Ow. It's four kicks followed by a snare. Normally, if you say "oh" in time with that snare, you'll be too far ahead of the timing window and probably get a Messy. So here's where the craziness kicks in...

By adjusting the A/V Offset in your calibration settings to the left (negative milliseconds) it's possible to move the timing window so that it's more in line with the snare hit than the actual Ow itself. Obviously before you mess with any of your settings you'll want to write down both the A/V Offset and Lag settings so you can manually set them back to normal later.

The immediate side-effect of doing this is that if you sing in time with the vocal track, it will be way off and you'll miss phrases. The solution? Mute the TV and sing it by memory. I'm sure everyone here can sing this song in their sleep by now. You'll just need to un-mute it at the break before the Ow; otherwise, it would defeat the whole premise of this experiment. You'll want to say "oh" (or whatever sound you use) exactly when you hear the snare, as if you were hitting that note on the drums. Think of it like the "duh, duh-duh, duh-duh" method for There Goes My Gun.

What you need to do is start with a setting for A/V Offset, say -150ms and keep adjusting and re-trying the Ow until you find a setting that gets you closest to actually hitting it consistently. I'd start with practice mode first unless you are afraid of the possibility of hitting it and having it not count for anything since it happened in practice mode.

I already know of a few limitations with this method:

1. Calibration adjustments go in 5ms increments, so the closest you can get to the true timing window is +/- 5ms.
2. While I think it's easier to time your sound to a drum hit, due to human reaction time you won't be sounding your voice at the exact same time every time. Since we're talking about such a tiny (several milliseconds or less) window of opportunity, it will take a LOT of testing and re-testing to find the closest possible setting.
3. Since calibration is dependent on the brand of TV you have, whether you're using an audio receiver, etc., the potential "sweet spot" setting will be different for everyone.

I'm going to be doing a lot more testing when I have time, in the hopes that I can FC this song before RB2 comes out, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else has the time and willingness to try it.

Last edited by trg007 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: G00dByeMrBond PSN Name: trg007
HrdCore1337v2  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is complicated but could work...
but i dont have the timing skill to test it for u

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's an interesting idea. i'll have to give it a try soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: TheTinkerbread
CHawk  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! Def. something I could use in the future!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for me to apply for a patent.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: G00dByeMrBond PSN Name: trg007
dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I've thought of the 4 drum beats and just time it by ear. But you sir, are obvious light years ahead of me. Great props on changing the calibration method and GRATS on the FC!!!!

I will have to wait till tomorrow to see if I have any luck with this.

Again, SALUTE!!!!! ^_^

My YouTube Channel
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
KingGuy1  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol wow gratz! you really deserve it for figuring that one out. Really nice job.
Melestrela  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot! Grats, man. I'll have to try this method in the next couple of days.
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill definitely try this when I get back. Thanks a ton!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Andrew512  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done sir!
RB1 :: #3 PS3 Vocalist (8/28/08)
dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by far my stupidest RB moment ever just happened

Awesomed in Practice mode ><

I was lazy so I used practice mode to test out the calibration

Rear-projection with DLP on HDMI cable

A/V lag setting at -265

I couldn't do it again in actual game mode. I will try it again later when I am home.

Two interesting notes:

1. The Pie spinned like freaking fast it actually left the last slice open. (as if it went over twice) Can you can glitch in practice mode?

2. I tried 10 more times in real game play and on 3 occasions when I inject my OH at what I believe was the ideal spot .... the PIE didn't even register anything?! I mean.. zero.... nada... As if the computer knows that it will never give any PS3 an Awesome even if the spot it hit lol. I felt it was playing a cruel joke to me. But I'll try it again later today.

Thx again 007, that method is good!

My YouTube Channel
Bandaddy  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogfoodnyc wrote:
the PIE didn't even register anything?! I mean.. zero.... nada...

This is what I call the Anti-Glitch.

In my numerous attempts at Sabotage, I have gotten it twice...where the pie does not fill in the slightest for any of the phrases, and you quickly fail.
Something goes wrong and the phenome detector detects nothing at all.

If I could only get the "good" glitch and FC Sabotage, I could finally never, ever sing it again. Got it once in band quickplay, for an easy 100%, but never for solo, where I have yet to GS it.

I am going to try this method, not only for the "ow" but for the other talky songs that I still have sucky scores on. I just can't get them - and have tried every trick listed in these forums.

One method that worked 'fair' for me, was on Timmy, I put a piece of scotch tape on the screen where it seemed I needed to be saying the talkies. Botched a singing line for 99 % and haven't tried again 'cuz I hate the f'ing song and was pissed off.

Anyway, the "tape method" basically moves your "line" rather than changing the calibration, so it might be a useful technique for those of you that can get close on the talkies but have a hard time keeping your "imaginary" line for timing down.
trg007  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogfoodnyc wrote:
by far my stupidest RB moment ever just happened

Awesomed in Practice mode ><

I was lazy so I used practice mode to test out the calibration

Rear-projection with DLP on HDMI cable

A/V lag setting at -265

I couldn't do it again in actual game mode. I will try it again later when I am home.

Two interesting notes:

1. The Pie spinned like freaking fast it actually left the last slice open. (as if it went over twice) Can you can glitch in practice mode?

2. I tried 10 more times in real game play and on 3 occasions when I inject my OH at what I believe was the ideal spot .... the PIE didn't even register anything?! I mean.. zero.... nada... As if the computer knows that it will never give any PS3 an Awesome even if the spot it hit lol. I felt it was playing a cruel joke to me. But I'll try it again later today.

Thx again 007, that method is good!

That's funny, because when I first hit it last night it was in practice mode and I thought "ah crap, what if I can't get it again?". However, I immediately went into solo tour and hit it again after just one missed attempt.

I'm positive it was not the glitch in either case. The disc spins very fast but you can definitely see it spinning; it's not an instant empty-to-full. I've never actually experienced the glitch on any song myself.

A couple other notes:

- I had the mic sensitivity all the way to the left. I use a Vantage mic.
- The sound I made was not "oh" as in "Oh my God" but rather "ooh" as in "Ooh, a piece of candy!". I don't know if the sound you make matters as much as the timing, but for me it's easier to produce an instantaneous sound by saying "ooh" in a low tone.

I hope this method helps others get the FC! I've lurked here for months leeching off of all the OD paths and whatnot, so hopefully this can be my way of giving something back to the community.
Billtvshow  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite creative. Good job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: