FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to hit the "Ow" in Next to You! [Updated 8/18]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboBobulus  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, so far tonight I got maybe half a dozen strongs at 90-95% on the phrase, and several OK's that bordered on strong, yet no awesome. But, there's always tomorrow
trg007  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
wesker-kun wrote:
wooooooooah!!!!

got it on practice , and couldn't in the real gig

i'll keep trying

trg007 , great job!!!!

why would you EVER play a vocal song in practice mode!?!?

When you are first taking a stab at various calibration numbers, it is easier to test in practice mode because you can immediately quit to the main menu if you find that it's not the right setting. Backing out to the main menu from solo tour or even quickplay takes a little longer by comparison. Also, you don't have to sing the phrases leading up to the Ow if you don't feel like it.

HrdCore1337v2 wrote:
this seems to b more difficult for xbox 360 users..
any ideas trg>

I don't know if it's more difficult or if nobody else on 360 has been trying it so far. I figured my 2nd place would be beaten by now, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: G00dByeMrBond PSN Name: trg007
duck  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trg007 wrote:
Also, you don't have to sing the phrases leading up to the Ow if you don't feel like it.

not sure about ps3..but practice mode on 360 for vocals is the exact same thing as just playing the song in a real run..you dont get to choose which part of the song you want to practice.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: I Duckzorz I
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to those of you hitting it...

telling me your final calibration doesnt help me,

how much are you changing it by is the real question, what is it normal offset you have then what do you change it to

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
LUIGI074  

Location: I'm everywhere. That's what happens when you're a geek XD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowlZ wrote:

how much are you changing it by is the real question, what is it normal offset you have then what do you change it to
If you use a CRT TV, setting it to -265 or -270 for A/V will get it. For other types of TVs, you'll need to mess with it a bit from there. Try adding or subtracting your usual A/V lag calibration setting from -265 or -270 and see what happens.

duck wrote:

not sure about ps3..but practice mode on 360 for vocals is the exact same thing as just playing the song in a real run..you dont get to choose which part of the song you want to practice.

It's the same for us PS3 users. No song sections, just the full song.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
trg007 wrote:
Also, you don't have to sing the phrases leading up to the Ow if you don't feel like it.

What I meant was, you can sit there and let the song play until you get to the Ow. If you did that in an actual run of the song, you can probably guess what would happen after a few phrases.

BowlZ wrote:

I'd like to know this from the others who have hit it as well. My normal settings are: A/V 60ms, Lag 15ms. For NTY I have it at -150ms and 0ms respectively, so the difference was -210/-15. I honestly don't know what the Lag setting does or if it even affects vocals at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: G00dByeMrBond PSN Name: trg007
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My normal settings are +35ms and -15ms on the first and second screens.

Moving it to -265ms on the first screen and leaving the second at -15ms let me hit the Ow three times in six tries (exactly 3/10ths of a second earlier).

I use a Sony 50" SXRD rear projection HDTV. DLP HDTV users can probably use similar settings with success, depending on brand.
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
wesker-kun wrote:
wooooooooah!!!!

i'll keep trying

trg007 , great job!!!!

That's a valid question. I suspect the reasoning was that they were changing the lag settings and going back into the song so many times that it was faster and lazier to just go to practice mode and not sing anything until the "ow".
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
Killertomatoes88  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUIGI074 wrote:

If you use a CRT TV, setting it to -265 or -270 for A/V will get it.

yep this is what i used...i just set it to standard CRT settings then did a manual calibration and moved the A/V calibration to -265 or -270, leaving lag compensation alone

...on a side note i was also able to FC it with a guitar player with the A/V setting moved to -260 or -265

Kawigi wrote:
duck wrote:
wesker-kun wrote:
wooooooooah!!!!

i'll keep trying

trg007 , great job!!!!

That's a valid question. I suspect the reasoning was that they were changing the lag settings and going back into the song so many times that it was faster and lazier to just go to practice mode and not sing anything until the "ow".

yea...navigating through all the solo tour menus after every calibration change was annoying
dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure I'll share a bit more detailed description of my run in with this: (I replied to bowlz with this)

I was originally on +40/+40 setting (if you do auto calibration at Rear-projection they will give you a/v sync at +40)

I am using a Philip (Not Toshiba.. sorry ><) Rear-projection HD/DLP TV

I am using the HDMI cable when I played.

Also, I never actually consider changing the LAG OFFSET (the 2nd number when you do calibration) b/c apparently I thought that is simply for drums/bass/guitar and the a/v is for vocals.

I had NO luck hitting anything in real run for about 2 hours and I was so fed up that I didn't want to sing the lyrics so I went to practice mode at about -225 (I started at -150). Then at -265 (seriously as my last try) I hit it in practice mode. I went back to the real run and couldn't do it for about 10 time straight.

I left home to do some errands and came back telling stephen how stupid that was in practice mode. I then try about another 30 mins on real run with -265 and at time I got the "anti-glitch" where I know I made sound in a range where the pie would at least fill abut it just won't move at all. I got that for about 5 to 7 times. Then I got pissed so I went back out to practice mode just to see if this thing was broken only in Real game play.

I was going to film it for the sake of it so I can prove that it was hit even it was in practice mode. I got it on my first time. Then I said let me try again in real game play. And Bang, I hit it. Then I was able to Re-FC it for like 5 times in a roll until my cam's space ran out.

As for why I am using practice mode? B/C I got so tired singing it over (I've done this just like everyone on at least 6 to 7 sessions of 12 hour run back in May, June, and July). And hitting it in Practice mode on -265 but getting the "anti-glitch" for the first time in playing this song EVER, and then getting the repeated for 5 more times really made me think if us PS3 players were screwed on this OW.

However, once I hit it again in practice mode I think I've "Open the flood gate" so to speak. Ow was all of a sudden very easy to hit.

Good luck guys hopefully this helps.

original setting - +40/+40
final setting - -265/+40

My YouTube Channel
HrdCore1337v2  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me, billtvshow, and vixenita have all tried to hit it but maybe its that i cant get the calibration for an LCD or the Xbox 360s ow! has a twist to it...
trg did say he got it on a -150 calibration but i dont believethe game console affect calibration or picture other than definition or quality

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of what the preset calibration settings are numerically, according to this:

AV Lag
-35 -20 CRT
-55 -10 PLASMA
-35 -20 LCD
-35 -40 Rear Projection
-80 -70 DLP

PS3
AV Lag
-35 5 CRT
-95 -20 PLASMA
-85 15 LCD
-35 -15 Rear Projection
-85 -55 DLP

So for the PS3 folks with CRTs that changed it to -265/0, that's a -230/-5 adjustment if they normally use the default CRT TV preset. I'll have to try playing with my settings some more when I get home from work tonight, since my lack of success last night leads me to believe my -150/0 isn't exactly the sweet spot for my TV.

I have the same type of TV as Icemage (60" Sony SXRD) but I also use an AV receiver (Onkyo TX-SR605) that could be affecting the lag as well. My 360 is hooked up to the receiver via component & optical cables and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.
YODAvSIDIOUS  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me what the count of the Ow is supposed to be? I don't know what pattern you're talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YODAvSIDIOUS wrote:
Can you tell me what the count of the Ow is supposed to be? I don't know what pattern you're talking about.

Towards the end of the phrase containing the 'Ow', listen closely to the drum part. There's a quick series of 4 bass hits followed by a snare hit (bum-bum-bum-bum-ch). The timing trick here is designed for you to say the 'Ow' exactly in time with the snare. Essentially, "bum-bum-bum-bum-'OW!!'". This is what I did, anyway.
RB1 :: #3 PS3 Vocalist (8/28/08)
YODAvSIDIOUS  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew512 wrote:
YODAvSIDIOUS wrote:

Towards the end of the phrase containing the 'Ow', listen closely to the drum part. There's a quick series of 4 bass hits followed by a snare hit (bum-bum-bum-bum-ch). The timing trick here is designed for you to say the 'Ow' exactly in time with the snare. Essentially, "bum-bum-bum-bum-'OW!!'". This is what I did, anyway.

Yeah but I can't tell. I think it's on the and of 3 but I'm not sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: