FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
4 star FC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willay  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: 4 star FC? Reply with quote

so, i was doing a run through of 29 fingers on expert drums, and just for fun i didn't activate OD throughout the entire song. i FC'd it, and didn't get my 5th star until the very last note. so I was wondering if it was possible to FC a song without 5-starring it? has anyone tried this before? and what songs would be best to try to 4 star FC (on or off disc?)

singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver can be passed with 0 points so I'd guess a less than 5 star FC is possible
KEFIOX  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Silver can be passed with 0 points so I'd guess a less than 5 star FC is possible

My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:

i guess fills would knock out about half the notes, lol
would it work better on shorter or longer songs? it skipping fills would probably knock out more notes on longer songs, but longer songs tend to have lower cutoffs (I.E GG&HT).
and does having a high GS cutoff mean the song has a high 5-star cutoff? (I.E seven)

Robtcee13  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willay wrote:
singemfrc wrote:

i guess fills would knock out about half the notes, lol
would it work better on shorter or longer songs? it skipping fills would probably knock out more notes on longer songs, but longer songs tend to have lower cutoffs (I.E GG&HT).
and does having a high GS cutoff mean the song has a high 5-star cutoff? (I.E seven)

Shorter songs have low cutoffs, long songs have high cutoffs, but in this case, short songs would be better. Maybe songs with infrequent notes to keep your multiplier low. Long songs have higher cutoffs because there are more notes. If the cutoff score is still determined by your average multiplier (Which I assume the required one is higher for drums. It goes up a hell of a lot faster), then it doesn't matter the length of the song anyway. The number of notes is more key, and 29 Fingers has... To be honest, not many notes. Only reds and blues, and there aren't too many of those.

And generally, a high or hard to reach GS cutoff doesn't necessarily mean that the 5 star cutoff will be hard to reach. Unless you're on the PS2 version. In which case, songs you don't GS need some serious work. >_>

...Except Seven.
EaterOfCheese  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, it is possible. I got desperate for the Flawless drumming achievement a few months ago and did Gimme shelter skipping all of the fills. I'm pretty sure I ended up with 4 stars and 100%. Don't quote me on that though... my memory lacks... consistency >.>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone FCd Mother on Easy, dropping all the sustains right when he hit them and never using SP, and got 4 stars. I'm sure this can also be done with Silver on bass, possibly even 3 starring it, since it's almost all sustains, and the max multiplier takes over half the song to kick in.

Last edited by machchunk on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Robtcee13  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to consider that it's guitar you're referring to. With guitar, there are sustains that you can drop that won't break your combo, and your multiplier goes up far slower. EVERY note, including 2 that show up at once, raises your drum multiplier.

It might be doable on Easy, but I have some doubts about Expert.
willay  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe just what i needed on drums, because you get OD before you even have a 4X multiplier

stardf29  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Seven?
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things to keep in mind. Shorter songs have one advantage, the beginning parts that are x1, x2, x3 take up a higher percentage of the song. Where looking at a long song, that difference of 75*9 +50*9 + 25*9 =1350 pts really makes very little difference. What is most important is how much of the song is covered by fills. Seven has a high GS cutoff because the number of OD patterns is low, but that doesn't mean the number of Fill opportunities are low.

Essentially to get a 4* FC you need a song to have:

(Max Score (w/o squeezing) - 5* Cutoff)/100 notes covered by fills. This has a slight variance due to how much the 1350 points affects this, so it may go up or down by as many as 13 notes. Since no song has a fill before the 4x multiplier if I am correct, then that does not go into account.

So since this formula depends on Max Score and 5* Cutoff difference, songs where the Max Score is closer to 5* Cutoff are going to be easier to 4* FC, assuming all songs have same amount of fills.

So theoretically, Seven should be very easy to 4* FC, while a song like Dani California may be very very hard if not impossible.

I am almost sure that the math used here is correct, if I can think of an error, look for an edit =).

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
willay  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
A couple things to keep in mind. Shorter songs have one advantage, the beginning parts that are x1, x2, x3 take up a higher percentage of the song. Where looking at a long song, that difference of 75*9 +50*9 + 25*9 =1350 pts really makes very little difference. What is most important is how much of the song is covered by fills. Seven has a high GS cutoff because the number of OD patterns is low, but that doesn't mean the number of Fill opportunities are low.

Essentially to get a 4* FC you need a song to have:

(Max Score (w/o squeezing) - 5* Cutoff)/100 notes covered by fills. This has a slight variance due to how much the 1350 points affects this, so it may go up or down by as many as 13 notes. Since no song has a fill before the 4x multiplier if I am correct, then that does not go into account.

So since this formula depends on Max Score and 5* Cutoff difference, songs where the Max Score is closer to 5* Cutoff are going to be easier to 4* FC, assuming all songs have same amount of fills.

So theoretically, Seven should be very easy to 4* FC, while a song like Dani California may be very very hard if not impossible.

I am almost sure that the math used here is correct, if I can think of an error, look for an edit =).

just what i needed does

Shvegait  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
(Max Score (w/o squeezing) - 5* Cutoff)/100 notes covered by fills.

Using Max Score is quite suspect, because you're using optimal overdrive. For a 4* FC you'd NEVER be using overdrive, so Max Score isn't relevant at all. The cutoffs aren't based on overdrive paths, after all. As you said, what's important is the percentage of notes that can be covered by fills. I'd bet that the song with the highest percentage of notes that can be covered by fills would give you the lowest * score, and I bet it *isn't* Seven!
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, it doesn't matter if there is a fill before the 4x because you will have exactly 9 notes worth 25, 9 notes worth 50, 9 notes worth 75 and the rest worth 100 in every single song. The early fill doesn't break this up, just delays it, which doesn't matter much. What may be a result of an early fill is the fact that there could be a lot of fills in a song, but this does not guarantee it.

You are correct, Max score shouldn't matter, I made a mistake. I was trying to get to the percentage thing, but explained it wrong.

Let each song have X notes.
Let each song have Y notes when you don't use OD.

The score without OD activated is:
1350 + (Y-27)*100

The base score is 25*X.

The 5 star cutoff is 25*X*3.08 for 360/PS3. (3.10 for PS2)

So to 4 star a song you need to have

1350 + (Y-27) < 25*3.08*X
which is 100Y - 1350 < 77*X

or, Y < .77X + 135

Which means you need about 23% of the notes covered up by OD fills in order to 4* a song, with a little variance based on the 135 which accounts for the first 27 notes not under 4x multiplier.

This shows that songs that can be 4* don't matter whether a song is short, long, easy to GS, hard to GS, etc. Only whether there are enough fills to cover up about 23% of the notes in the song.

Sorry for the math, but I figured it was best to include for some. =)

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
RedSharkGuy  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is, I would bet Green Grass and High Tides is 4* FC'able. IIRC if you don't use your OD it gives a massive amount of fills in the second half of the song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: