FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Community Challenge: How Good Can You Sound?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildbillkickoff  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Community Challenge: How Good Can You Sound? Reply with quote

I've seen so many ridiculous youtube comments on FC videos compaining about how the person singing sounds awful that it's absolutely infuriating. I'd say that the majority of peope who are high up in the leaderboards actually have a great set of pipes, but because the game's pitch detection is so demanding, we are forced to give the game what it wants for an FC rather than what sounds good.

So, here's your showoff thread-- post a video of yourself singing here, with the following parameters:

1. Score is irrelevant, as long as you pass the song on Expert.

2. Turn the in-game vocal track all the way down. This is about YOUR voice, not Sting's.

3.It must be an original, non-edited recording that scores you for that song-- Billtv's dub of Interstate Love Song is AMAZING, but it's not what we're going for here.

This is basically to hush up the doubters who say that RB talent does not translate into real talent. (They're partially right, but I'm willing to bet a lot of us have both.) Best of luck!

EDIT 12/17/08

Due to the overwhelming success of this challenge (and also due to bandaddy being proactive), I've made a change in how the thread will be updated.

You've probably noticed that the giant list is gone-- it became too cumbersome to manage, which led to me not updating it forever. Bandaddy graciously created the spreadsheet linked below, which is updated through page 20 as of today. He will be taking over the updating-- continue to post new videos in the thread, and he'll check periodically and update the spreadsheet.

The neat thing is you can sort by either "artist" or song title, so you can now compare people and see who does the best "Under The Bridge". Major props to bandaddy for doing this and keeping me from getting 5 PMs asking if I've updated the thread every week.

link removed due to outofdateness

EDIT 9/19/09

I've just received word that maintenance of the database has passed on to Dotdotdotdot (thanks a bunch!). A new list can be found here:

http://www.dottery.net/sound/

Also, as an update as to why you haven't seen me around-- in March of 2009, I was diagnosed with asthma, which is actually completely different than how I understood it. It made it very difficult for me to sing for more than 10-15 minutes at a time, which is why I've pretty much dropped off the face of the planet. However, a doctor was finally able to pinpoint the cause-- acid reflux, believe it or not. This was just a couple of weeks ago, and my lungs have felt exponentially better since that discovery was made and proper medication was prescribed.

So, long story short, look for some Beatles vids soon, and thank God that a doctor was willing to listen.

Last edited by wildbillkickoff on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 12 times in total
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I had a discussion about this with KillerTomatoes a few weeks ago.

I play a little game like this when I'm posting my videos. Whenever possible (and my knowledge of a song allows), I make an effort to make the song sound as good as possible within the constraints of the game's scoring on Expert difficulty.

"In theory" we have about 120-125% of a pie to work with on most phrases, which means we can deviate just a shade from the timing that the game allows (typically for vocal lag), and do some extra things like vibrato or hook entries into words to improve aesthetics.

"In practice" this is so difficult to do on the majority of songs that you can't manage it for more than a handful of phrases even if you're actively trying.

I'll see if I can find some time and knock out Jimmy Buffett's Volcano in a bit; I had good success doing this with Margaritaville, and have high hopes for Volcano, even though it's a faster song.

Things that usually bug me:

- Overdrive activations
Sometimes you are forced to "fade out" at the end of a phrase because you want to avoid hitting an activation.

- Warbles
Talking about any song with lots of warbly phrases like Gimme Shelter or most of the Boston songs, where it's all we can do to hang onto the Awesome, let alone do much with the rest of the phrase.

- Talkies
Sometimes these are OK, but the phoneme detector isn't kind sometimes even when it's not being impossible.

- Ultra fast lyrics
This is a killer. Indestructible is a good example of absurdly fast lyrics where you barely have any time to land a note before it's skipping to the next word. Almost impossible to do anything but just hang onto the combo for dear life on songs like this.

- Songs that are outside my range in parts
Not much choice but to octave shift in these cases for most of us; this particularly ruins aesthetics when you have to octave shift mid-phrase, as it changes the sound of the song completely (Time We Had, Rock and Roll Band, etc.)

For anyone who really wants to try this, I'd recommend using a slower paced song with forgiving charts (Hysteria is a REALLY good candidate for instance).

Also note that in almost all cases, actually singing lyrics hurts your scoring, as consonants will interrupt or alter your pitch, so that extra 20-25% of pie "padding" becomes much, much thinner once you actually start using the words.

Last edited by Icemage on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
HoboBobulus  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In band play I sing the songs as good sounding as I can while "staying in the lines," just to entertain myself. I'm actually pretty good at it too, I even throw in some vibrato in there for kicks. Now, if I actually had recording equipment, then I'd be all over this topic like white on rice and a paper plate in a snow storm. My natural singing voice is usually an octave lower on most songs though.
dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get ready to cover your ears guys ^_^

My YouTube Channel
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not great at non-boring singing (I still get self-conscious just singing at home by myself), but I'll give this a whirl. Now to find a song that is actually good for my range...

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Battle.Monkey  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogfoodnyc wrote:
get ready to cover your ears guys ^_^

Haha, good thing I don't have recording equipment. I sound like Tom Delonge (See It Hurts/All The Small Things) when I sing. Well, young Tom Delonge, whne he sang even worse.

In any case, I hope this takes off. Seems like a really cool idea.
Ouzo  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Community Challenge: How Good Can You Sound? Reply with quote

wildbillkickoff wrote:
2. Turn the in-game vocal track all the way down. This is about YOUR voice, not Sting's.

So does that mean we can't falsetto? I don't like singing the song unless I sound just like the person who's singing.

I love this idea, btw.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to Icemage, I contend with the accuracy/style tradeoff whenever I make FC videos. Sometimes I purposely sing more robotically, just to help people understand what notes they're supposed to hit. But sometimes I'll try to throw a bit of my own style in there during the course of the song.

Funny thing is, I was sort of trained to sing robotically, so Rock Band singing is not *that* much different from my normal singing. I sang alto in an a cappella choir for all 4 years of high school. Not being a soprano, I never got to sing the melody, and since I never sang solo I absolutely HAD to sing very accurately, always the same, and in a very controlled way. Well, at least controlled in the sense that I wasn't supposed to stand out - my voice had to blend in with everyone else's and I had to follow the conductor's directions.

I wish I had access to DLC, as there are a few songs in there that I think would work well for my voice. But I'll see if I can throw something together with what I have.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you also had an obnoxious score duel with Mushy?

I recently posted my first video to Youtube, which I think follows the parameters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbg59zCuFTE

I once mentioned on the Xbox forums that I could FC this song while singing the right words, and the first response to it was "IN FRICKING POSSIBLE! VIDS OR BS." I'm pretty sure he was kidding, but when I got a shiney new capture device, it was the first song I did :-) If I stood up while singing, or my wife and kids weren't sleeping at the time, maybe I'd have sounded better, but it's not bad :-p
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this will be fun. I'll have to try to get recording setup and do this. I already know what song I'm gonna do. Good luck guys!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's my entry into this impromptu challenge.

Me singing solo on Volcano by Jimmy Buffett. 100% GS Expert Vocals while trying to sound good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_6f-kP0p0
Melestrela  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a great idea. I'm tired of all of the people bitching at RB vocalists. I know that I sound like crap, but I know that some of you are actually really good.

Icemage, love it, great job. Love what you say at 3:07.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melestrela wrote:
Icemage, love it, great job. Love what you say at 3:07.

Haha I can't take any credit for that. Credit to Jimmy Buffett, as that lyric really IS in the Rock Band edit of the song.
Koenn  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I -might- consider submitting something for this, as this is a pretty cool idea. Maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: k0enn
Melestrela  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, I feel silly now for not knowing any of the DLC. Still love your vid though.

I want more! Come on peoples!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 1 of 60

Jump to: