FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I can't get descending scales to register!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBigBB  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: I can't get descending scales to register! Reply with quote

I literally sometimes can't hit a single note of the descending scales at the end of Green Grass and High Tides. The timing window is just unfathomably small in this game. I am very good on the guitar so I can get by most of the game comboing even with the small window, but it is not letting me any notes in the end of this song. I can get through the zig-zags but the only way I was ever able to land a single descending scale was if I used the solo buttons on the strat. My best is 60% through the entire solo beginning with the first zig-zag. I doubt I can pass this song. I'd rather do Raining Blood.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't get descending scales to register! Reply with quote

TheBigBB wrote:
I literally sometimes can't hit a single note of the descending scales at the end of Green Grass and High Tides. The timing window is just unfathomably small in this game. I am very good on the guitar so I can get by most of the game comboing even with the small window, but it is not letting me any notes in the end of this song. I can get through the zig-zags but the only way I was ever able to land a single descending scale was if I used the solo buttons on the strat. My best is 60% through the entire solo beginning with the first zig-zag. I doubt I can pass this song. I'd rather do Raining Blood.

Well sure, the timing window for the game that Raining Blood is on is larger than a whale's vagina.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
TheBigBB  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I just found a good technique so maybe I can actually give myself advice. I began to use the solo buttons for this entire part and I just got 67% notes hit which is probably enough to pass.

What I do now is I play right handed over the solo section. On the zig zags keep the lower note held in and tap the middle finger frequently down and try to hit the third finger half as fast, lifting off after each hit. You'll hit a lot of notes there this way if you get on rhythm with it.

On the scales I take my right index and just slide it across the solo buttons over and over, kinda burns. I hit almost the whole thing that way! Especially the end, just slide it over the three notes over and over and you usually get in a combo real easy!

Maybe I will attempt this song again now...
Tomcove  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself am having this problem, I just got to 95% and then failed. Maybe I'll try your advice, so it doesn't just look like you're talking to yourself

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: tomcove6888
TheBigBB  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomcove wrote:
I myself am having this problem, I just got to 95% and then failed. Maybe I'll try your advice, so it doesn't just look like you're talking to yourself

SCRATCH using it on the zig-zags, but if you switch to the solo buttons and just keep running the same finger up them on the descending scales, it usually hits all the notes as long as you are in rhythm.
Tomcove  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOO! That totally worked! I passed it first time doing that! You are my new favorite person!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: tomcove6888
TheBigBB  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomcove wrote:
WOOO! That totally worked! I passed it first time doing that! You are my new favorite person!

haha yeah it works for me too, I almost passed it just now, which is a lot closer than I was before. 95% instead of 92% without this technique. I got really unlucky too at the end, wasn't counting any notes at all, I got this thing, just a matter of time now...
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about doing the scales two-handed, but in a different way. I was gonna keep one hand on the main frets and bring my right up to the solo ones, then alternate scales between frets.

I havent gotten to GGaHT yet, but thats cuz ive been playing BWT more than solo. Ill prolly get to it tonight so I can tell you if it works.

evilgoat  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had trouble with the window in many solos on practice. I wouldn't be able to consistently hit the notes. I've played with the lag and offset extensively, and think I may have found a happy medium where I play the notes right when I hear them. Hopefully when I get to GGaHT (been doing drums!), I will have success.

XBL ragnartheawful PSN Ragnar_the_Awful
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: ragnartheawful PSN Name: Ragnar_the_Awful
TheBigBB  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I have gotten better at hitting things in this game and I was able to pass GGAHT using my sliding around the solo buttons techniques. Actually 4 starred it on my first pass as well. The timing in this game is still insanely precise. You gotta be in the zone to nail tough sections.
ghozt360  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yusuke wrote:
I was thinking about doing the scales two-handed, but in a different way. I was gonna keep one hand on the main frets and bring my right up to the solo ones, then alternate scales between frets.

I havent gotten to GGaHT yet, but thats cuz ive been playing BWT more than solo. Ill prolly get to it tonight so I can tell you if it works.

thats what i do...i usually fail around 85% only song i havent passed and only 4 starred 4 songs, 5* the rest
JWideman  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning descending scales is just like learning ascending scales, only in reverse. You're playing notes by lifting your finger, which is counter-intuitive. It's just a matter of practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: