FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Files for each song: audio(/video), MIDI and... what?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craventrio  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Files for each song: audio(/video), MIDI and... what? Reply with quote

So the the popular little thread How to get Custom Songs Into Rock Band-PS2 suggests that DLC songs transferred to custom PS2 discs "work 100%" even though the instructions (as far as I can see, my PS2 is broken so I've only been playing with custom discs to see if they load at all in an emulator!) are only for how to make the vgs and pss files, the PS2's audio/video files, and put them on the disc along with the mid file.

But what about all those other files? On both the PS2 and 360 disc I see usr, vnn, voc, xvocab and gen/_weights.bin, and the PS2 disc also has pan. The naming conventions suggest they were all created manually except the one in the gen folder which was generated automatically from existing data. If any of those are related to stuff like animation there's a good chance they aren't needed on the PS2 disc but are included accidentally(?) like so many other files.. but I'm guessing by the names that at least some of them have to do with things like vocals judging. The pan file is exclusive to PS2, its name sounds like it is to do with playback, and seems weird that it wasn't mentioned in the big PS2 custom thread. Maybe none of them are used at all on the PS2 version though?

What I was originally just wondering was "why are some [360] talkies so incredibly broken". Are they just judged from the MIDI lyric (with it's different little symbols at the end) and/or pitch/velocity/timing info, or compared to the actual vocals audio track somehow, or has it got something to do with that mysterious pile of other files? Whatever the case, I'm curious what all those other files are for and how come customs "work 100%" without changing them.
TNTX  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want 100% working customs, go find a Master Track.

Anyways, you shouldn't have any problems with just the audio and track being inserted. The video won't line up right, but that's about it. I believe XVocab is just telling the game how to judge the talkies, and is the same file for every song. Voc likely has something to do with Vocals, and likely next-gen useful only, as with everything else. Pan shouldn't be a huge deal, from what I've seen in custom videos it has no real large effect on the game.
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Zero0920
craventrio  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more interested in how it works than trying to create customs or copy DLC... fair enough if you mean that DLC on PS2 only works 100% when you copy all those other files too.

Has anyone looked into the format of xvocab if it's known it's for judging talkies? It's a different file for the few songs I've compared, and doesn't have any obvious ASCII syllables from the lyrics that I can see, but that's about as much as I've worked out. Talky judging (for example, why does the Pixies album have all trivially easy talkies... except for one damn song with 90% impossible talkies!) is what I was particularly interested in.

As I said I wouldn't be surprised if most of them were not used on PS2 even though they're present... maybe voc is something like lip syncing animation info for vocals if xvocab is judging info? I've not looked at them very much at all, but I didn't want to duplicate work if someone else has!
laconic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my post in the midi file format thread:
Quote:
xvocab is related to Fonix VoiceIn SDK, so is usr. See here, then download the demo.

My guess is VoiceIn is used for talking parts. Although, I don't think VoiceIn exists for PS2, so it probably judges talking parts a different way.
craventrio  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laconic wrote:
from my post in the midi file format thread:
Quote:
xvocab is related to Fonix VoiceIn SDK, so is usr. See here, then download the demo.

My guess is VoiceIn is used for talking parts. Although, I don't think VoiceIn exists for PS2, so it probably judges talking parts a different way.

Ha, don't know how I missed that, sorry, thought I'd read all of that thread!

So usr, vnn, xvocab are all for the Fonix stuff... presumably for talky judging by the look of their products (demo isn't much use, but you can see the file extensions it uses), even though that probably isn't used in the PS2 port (is mentioned in its manual though) and even though all songs without talkies have all those files too (did they used to do phoneme detection on pitched parts too? must have been a nightmare!). Looking at the Fonix stuff I'd guess phoneme detection does use the text of the lyrics in the MIDI, but in conjunction with the big complicated files generated by some external tools that I've got roughly no chance of understanding unless I buy their SDK, and I'm not doing that :)

voc looks like it's for the face animation thing, that's another third party SDK. No use on the PS2 then obviously.

ui/game.dta mentions "stuff used for autmoated vocal testing and weights generation" so I'll guess gen/_weights.bin is also to do with vocals scoring. It also has stuff for pan file generation, but I don't know what the pan files actually DO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: