FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Epic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Overdrive FAQs [Archive] -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's become customary to share our odd techniques for getting through talking parts in various songs, I got a near FC on this song (not sure what phrase I missed, but I think it must have been an energy phrase, because it seems like it threw off my path) by rapping the very first phrase, and from that point on brushing the microphone rhythmicly against a paper bag (we got dinner from Wendy's tonight, and I used that bag, and it sure isn't going to last forever...). This technique seems to fill the disc for most all-talking phrases a few words before they even end - the only exceptions I've noticed is the first few phrases, especially the very first one, don't seem to register the paper bag as well.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
violinhero86  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh.

I really think that the whole rubbing-the-mic-against-whatever-makes-the-right-noise technique, while clever, is very cheap and I personally refuse to do it. I wasn't going to complain about other people doing it because a lot of the talky parts are really broken, and it might be thought of as a "workaround" until Harmonix decides to fix it. Frankly, the only reason I think this method hasn't been labelled as cheating by the community (as opposed to, say, rubber-banding the green fret for the TTFaF intro, or modding the drums for a double bass pedal - both of which are just designed to make ridiculously hard stuff easier, right?) is because many talky parts don't seem to work properly.

But Epic isn't broken! It's one of the few songs that is a good example of how talky parts should work. It is possible to FC this song by saying the words like the artists says them, and it is possible to do so consistently. No mumbling, no garbling the words or adding extra consonants to satisfy the phenome detector. Just saying the words as they're meant to be said!

*gets down off soapbox*
InsaneAsylum  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with VH on this one. Epic is NOT broken. I've hardly played any expert songs and Epic is one of the few songs I can FC the talkies on a regular basis. It just wants precise emulation of the artist.

EDIT: removed some text about 'rubbing out' as I can't find a concrete source besides an IRC log that I am reluctant to post.
RB2 Vocal FC count: 31 of 84.
Vocalist for 106 Miles to Chicago
HoboBobulus  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna have to agree with VH on this one. Epic is very FCable just by saying the words normally. I haven't personally tried to rub the mic against stuff, but I have had to butcher the english language to get the talkies right in some songs (Ballroom Blitz, WYWY). And while that sucks and rubbing-out may be a good way to get around that, it's isn't at all necessary for Epic. I mean, the "what is it" phrases fill up 2/3 through easily.
Rikuthemaster  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the "Rubbing the mic on the pant leg" trick, and it works very well, but would that be cheating?

Did somebody say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: TTParadigm PSN Name: TTParadigm
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InsaneAsylum wrote:
I agree with VH on this one. Epic is NOT broken. I've hardly played any expert songs and Epic is one of the few songs I can FC the talkies on a regular basis. It just wants precise emulation of the artist.

Yeah, totally... sadly I only miss on the "yeah yeah yeah" singing phrases in this song...

-_-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmswedge wrote:
InsaneAsylum wrote:

Yeah, totally... sadly I only miss on the "yeah yeah yeah" singing phrases in this song...

-_-

... probably because the first "yeah" is a half-step lower than you think it is :-)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
qirex  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also consistently miss *only* the yeah yeah yeah's. However, I find the first yeah to be higher than I think it should be (and by the time I adjust, i've already strong'ed the damn thing.)

which doesn't really match up with the poster above me, so maybe I'm wrong. I did listen to that song *a ton* when it was popular (like.. at least once a day for a year) but it was on cassette in my cheap-ass car stereo, so who knows what pitch I was hearing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had never heard this song before this game, so I had no previous impression of what note it should be. If you start out singing lower on the first "yeah", are you trying to sing the same note for the first two "yeah"s? From watching the song on youtube, it seems like the notes for the "yeah, yeah, yeah" is Bb, A, G, so there's not really a note to sing that's lower than the correct one and higher than the second "yeah".
qirex  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited - realized i was hijacking this thread, when this belongs in technique.
re-posted there.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pretty much agree with what VH said earlier.

if the TPs in a song are just completely broken (when you were young, et al), then i have no problem trying to rub the TPs if that's what it takes to FC, but in Epic, if you say them in rhythm to the song, sort of rapping, then it's very possible to get all the TPs in this song, so I won't rub on this one...

i already had a GS, but i just had a 273k run on this song, and the only phrase i missed was a TP right after i activated OD, lol, but i'll still actually talk the phrases in this song...plus, no need to worry about my arm getting tired

Band=The Blue Devilz (#9 by fans PS3 April 2008)
#13 overall in PS3 vox Rock Band 1 (May 2008) -- (50/55 gold*)
#11 overall in PS3 vox Rock Band 2 (October 2008) -- (42 golds)
OldJoc92  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, ive fcd this song so many damn times ..i like the rapping parts
Evilwii  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldJoc92 wrote:
man, ive fcd this song so many damn times ..i like the rapping parts
You mean talky parts and what does this have to do with anything
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic is a joy to play on vocals. The talky parts WORK, which is more than I can say for a lot of songs.

Agree with the other posters in this thread. There is zero need to rub out the talkies here; proper timing and enunciation will get you every single talky phrase in this song quite comfortably.
Vixenita  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck is wrong with this song's path #########3

someone help me plssss !!!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Vixenita
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Overdrive FAQs [Archive] -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: