FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How does Rock Band filter out other drums?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guitar-God  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: How does Rock Band filter out other drums? Reply with quote

I was playing Rock Band today and I thought "I wonder if this drum will cut off if I stop playing it." So I stop playing the snare on a song I was playing and the snare actually stopped playing while the other drums where still playing. So I just want to know how are the drums recorded? Do they use some sort of audio filter to mute other drums?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 9 channels in a PS2 Rock Band file, and 13 on the other consoles. So what it does is there is more than 1 drum track, and the snare, tom, etc all have their own channels. When you miss the note, it cuts that channel.
Owning a business is hard work. If you need any tech advise, you can reach me at contact@nsgeek.net or check us out on the web at http://nsgeek.net . We specialize in Web Design and Computer Repair. Aloha!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Guitar-God  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeqaz wrote:
There are 9 channels in a PS2 Rock Band file, and 13 on the other consoles. So what it does is there is more than 1 drum track, and the snare, tom, etc all have their own channels. When you miss the note, it cuts that channel.

Oh ok thanks. Wow I knew Rock Band drumming was complicated... but I didnt know it had that much processing and stuff involved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, pretty simple. It's just streaming a bunch of OGG files. Ram is all that really needs. :P
Owning a business is hard work. If you need any tech advise, you can reach me at contact@nsgeek.net or check us out on the web at http://nsgeek.net . We specialize in Web Design and Computer Repair. Aloha!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BathTub  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's not so standard, one of my recent surprises recently is the variations in track numbers, the game engine can clearly handle quite a lot of variation. Drums can have like 2,3,5 different tracks (possibly more). I am work so I can't double check which tracks have the most (I want to say the recent Disturbed tracks though) like 3 pairs of Stereo tracks. I think the minimum is 2, Gimme Shelter has 1 mono track of Drums (+ Güiro) duplicated to create a Stereo pair.
freeqaz  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the PS2 version, the songs.dtb file tells the game what tracks to use for what part. By standard it's

0-3 = Drums
4 = Bass
5-6 = Guitar
7-8 = Vocals (8 is a singalong track)
BathTub  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sounds like the PS 2 version is stricter, more like what I expected all around.
craventrio  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeqaz wrote:
In the PS2 version, the songs.dtb file tells the game what tracks to use for what part. By standard it's

0-3 = Drums
4 = Bass
5-6 = Guitar
7-8 = Vocals (8 is a singalong track)

There's quite a few that vary slightly from the "standard" though, even on PS2, especially 70% practice tracks and _short songs for solo vocalists, but some others too depending on what masters were available in stereo etc. It probably can't handle many more simultaneous tracks due to CPU power, RAM, space on the disc, disc read speed etc.

And the full non-PS2 version with OGGs varies a lot and some songs have LOTS of tracks. I wouldn't be surprised if it was capable of full stereo tracks for each drum part, so 10 drum tracks! You'll eventually reach the limit of the engine/system and it won't be able to play back enough tracks I guess.

Back to talking about drums, some of the master tracks used for the game didn't have every necessary drum recorded on separate tracks and so they couldn't be separated completely for the game. You'll hear this on some songs, especially older ones.
BathTub  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah looking at the Disturbed tracks they are 3 pairs of (apparently) real Stereo tracks for the drums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: