FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GH games suspended indefinitely. What does this mean for RB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentbr  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
nextlevel88 wrote:
As far as RBN goes, I don't give it as much regard in discussions like this because with the complete lack of a preview, most average consumers have no idea what it is in the first place. Even if they did, I don't think it's so much about "songs they've heard of", but moreover "songs they can tolerate listening to for the sake of the gameplay".

You can preview the audio of RBN songs in the store, and you can also download demos of the first minute or so of each song. Granted sometimes the demo is a non-fun part of the song, or the song starts out slow and there's barely anything in the demo, but I wouldn't call it a "complete lack of a preview"

Judging by his sig, I guess he plays RB on the PS3 (I do too). On PS3 there is no preview at all of RBN songs, and this sucks. I don't know the reason for this.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentbr wrote:
Judging by his sig, I guess he plays RB on the PS3 (I do too). On PS3 there is no preview at all of RBN songs, and this sucks. I don't know the reason for this.

On the other hand, with only five songs added each week it is much easier for a PS3 player to give each song announced a chance on YouTube or similar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentbr wrote:

As Nvay says, it's not like you're getting 20+ songs a week on PS3, you can easily check your five songs.

The reason PS3 has no demos is likely due to Microsoft's XNA interface which is what RBN uses for testing. Since the PS3 doesn't have that, there's no demos.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
silentbr wrote:

As Nvay says, it's not like you're getting 20+ songs a week on PS3, you can easily check your five songs.

The reason PS3 has no demos is likely due to Microsoft's XNA interface which is what RBN uses for testing. Since the PS3 doesn't have that, there's no demos.

I know that PS3 can't have demos because the XNA interface, but the problem is that, as I said before, THERE IS NO PREVIEW AT ALL. You can't even listen the songs for a few seconds, like regular DLC. Yes, you can check them on Youtube, etc. But guess what, people are lazy. If you want to sell a song you have to work for it, not the customer. At least some seconds of audio would help a lot.
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentbr wrote:
I know that PS3 can't have demos because the XNA interface, but the problem is that, as I said before, THERE IS NO PREVIEW AT ALL. You can't even listen the songs for a few seconds, like regular DLC. Yes, you can check them on Youtube, etc. But guess what, people are lazy. If you want to sell a song you have to work for it, not the customer. At least some seconds of audio would help a lot.

Right, on PS3 there is no preview of RBN songs whatsoever, and yes, I can go to youtube and check to see what the songs are like. But, again, this has completely spun away from what I was originally trying to say (albeit poorly), which was this, in regards to Rock Band's fate in light of GH's end: Rock Band's success lies not only in selling games, but DLC as well. The DLC we've had recently, while not necessarily the most fun from a gameplay standpoint, has been much-requested music from much-requested acts with mass popularity. There's no indication of whether or not those relationships will continue post-Viacom, but there's also no indication that -going forward- fun gameplay will always be trumped by the popularity of the artist. All I'm saying is that it seems that it would be important for HMX to keep the well-known artists going for as long as they can in order to keep the more casual players looking for DLC. [/i]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to preview an RBN song all you have to do is go to www.rockband.com/songs. If you're too lazy to do that, that's pretty pathetic.
blackheartstar  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
Linkin Park, a band you mentioned as an "inferior" band (and yes, I do realize what you mean now) was probably more requested than the bands you mentioned, and was the first pack I've seen in a while that debuted in the top 50% of RB DLC sales, which is even more impressive given the scale (I think it was 580ish out of 1400ish). It's already a top 25 in RB sales in the pack.

Where would one look to see DLC sales figures?
Bront  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackheartstar wrote:
Bront wrote:
Linkin Park, a band you mentioned as an "inferior" band (and yes, I do realize what you mean now) was probably more requested than the bands you mentioned, and was the first pack I've seen in a while that debuted in the top 50% of RB DLC sales, which is even more impressive given the scale (I think it was 580ish out of 1400ish). It's already a top 25 in RB sales in the pack.

Where would one look to see DLC sales figures?

I use this thread on the Rock Band forums. You can also check the Xbox website. XBox only releases rankings, PSN doesn't even do that, nor does the Wii.

You could also use Keldon's site, but the API has been down since RB3 so it's not very recent, and it's numbers rely on folks playing the song, which leads to inaccuracies.

Songs: Just over 1000.
Bront  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
If you want to preview an RBN song all you have to do is go to www.rockband.com/songs. If you're too lazy to do that, that's pretty pathetic.
Some folks do have previews though (or they did in RB2) on the PS3.

Also, I rarely have my PC easily accessible while looking though the RBN store.

Not to mention that it's hard to keep up with all the 360 songs and preview them to request them.

Songs: Just over 1000.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point is that if you're on PS3 you're only getting 5 songs a week anyway. It's not a tall task to look up 5 songs, especially when SH and RockBandAide make it painfully clear what those songs are( RBA even includes an amazon playlist so you can listen to them without going anywhere ). If you can keep up with HMX DLC, there's no reason you can't keep up with RBN DLC when it comes in chunks of 5 a week.

Finding RBN songs on PS3 is easy... laziness shouldn't be an excuse when you're posting on an enthusiast website lol.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
I think the point is that if you're on PS3 you're only getting 5 songs a week anyway. It's not a tall task to look up 5 songs, especially when SH and RockBandAide make it painfully clear what those songs are( RBA even includes an amazon playlist so you can listen to them without going anywhere ). If you can keep up with HMX DLC, there's no reason you can't keep up with RBN DLC when it comes in chunks of 5 a week.

Finding RBN songs on PS3 is easy... laziness shouldn't be an excuse when you're posting on an enthusiast website lol.

You guys are missing the point. I´m not talking about people like us, I´m talking about the regular player that just browses the in-game store. Chances are that the only RBN DLC they will sell for these people are for bands that they already know and one or another old GH song. I still don´t get why they do not have at least some seconds of audio. It´s not like they thought "oh, PS3 players only have 5 songs a week, they don´t need previews".
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentbr wrote:
You guys are missing the point. I´m not talking about people like us, I´m talking about the regular player that just browses the in-game store. Chances are that the only RBN DLC they will sell for these people are for bands that they already know and one or another old GH song. I still don´t get why they do not have at least some seconds of audio. It´s not like they thought "oh, PS3 players only have 5 songs a week, they don´t need previews".

The argument is certainly valid for the normal player, but I'd even wonder how many of them would ever browse the store for any music they don't already immediately know in the first place. It's a bit of a grey area when you extrapolate to "the masses." Especially when RBN doesn't really seem designed for them( an outlet for unsigned and indie label music isn't exactly mass appeal ).

I maintain that anyone that is active on SH has plenty of outlets to know what's coming out on RBN and chances to listen to them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is that RB2 has RBN audio previews, especially for the EU store which got them even while the US didn't.

RB3 doesn't even have the option. It's just strange, that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShiftBreaker wrote:
What I don't get is that RB2 has RBN audio previews, especially for the EU store which got them even while the US didn't.

Huh? The US has audio previews.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyCherub wrote:
ShiftBreaker wrote:

Huh? The US has audio previews.

I think he's talking about on PS3?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: