FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Green Grass and High Tides
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledzeppelin19  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright here's how I passed it with the Les Paul...

First you need to have full overdrive going into the solo. When the part comes up, start button mashing + alt. strumming like crazy. When you're about to fail, activate overdrive. Hopefully you got into the solo aways.

The part you need to practice are the ascending runs (the part). You need to nail that part so you get back up into the green. Save your star power! You will now go through a few runs like the first part of the song that you failed at. Don't use overdrive yet! You have to get past this part of the song, you'll probably come out flashing red.

At the very end of this song tons of these ( ) will come at you fast. Use the overdrive you saved here to pass the song.

Hope that helped.
[ ] Beat Drums on Expert
[ ] 5 star Expert Guitar (aka Run to the Hills)
[ ] Endless Setlist (Expert)
[ ] Complete all gigs in Band World Tour

Help build our Guitar Hero Wiki!
Go to guitarhero.wikia.com and contribute!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Sinisity
DrewG  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm detailing my ongoing saga of misery with this song here:

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3235
Zotmaster  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have passed this song every single time I've gotten past the zigzags. Unfortunately for me, that happened exactly once.

Just tried again and failed with 3 or 4 notes left at the second zigzag. I know you can get half an overdrive bar in the one sequence between the first zigzag and the second, but with the Strat's whammy bar, it's really tough to do (that and I have tiny hands). At any rate, it's probably best not to rely on it.

I still don't know how you guys get through that section so easily. What's the predominant technique? Slides? Tapping? Having trained animals work a couple buttons for you? Maybe it's because I'm in the early stages of carpal tunnel, but I certainly am not fast enough to do it with just my fretting hand. I also tried doing it while tapping, but the timing window is so narrow that it seems by the time I get visual confirmation that the green (or red, in the case of the second zigzag) is hit, it's too late to tap the second note without missing and, therefore, blowing your streak.

The OBYs at the end, on the other hand, were no problem on my sightread, and are a breeze with tapping: simply hold yellow with your fretting hand and tap the other two. Doing this may, perhaps, cause you to miss one of the sustains at the end, but certainly no more than one, and it beats the alternative (ie, failing the song at 95% or later).
Mr.BannanasII  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF IS WITH THIS SONG
EVERY time I try it, I ONLY get a lower score. Never playing it again
mindsink  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of mashing, flailing, and skipping buttons, here's an idea...

PRACTICE

First, put the guitar down. Step away from your XBOX.

Take a ruler, pen, cell phone, whatever. Use it as your guitar neck. Now practice the zig zags. Hold down your index finger (green). LOOK at your fingers. Make sure you're pulling off correctly during the descent. Take your time. Now do it faster, and faster, and faster.

Practice at home. Practice on your way to work. Practice at work. Practice it while you're out to dinner, while you're getting gas. Practice it until you see your little fingers ho/po those zig zags lying in bed at night.

Now, go back to the game and play the song. Marvel at how easy this section is now.
mtaylor2k2  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can try to offer my advice for anyone who is struggling with this song. The parts that trouble most people are the ziggies it seems like. I have trouble with them too, because when they are very fast like these, i play them differently then if they are slow. My method for the fast ziggies in freebird solo C is to keep the lower frets held down so it would get played like this:

This does not work for me in rock band for some reason, so i have to fret them normally. Use the solo buttons, it is the only way i have a chance at these sections myself (without using overdrive). I can only fret fast enough for a short time keeping combo, so as soon as i see my combo break, i look for the next yellow note to start up again. I find that just wailing the keys wildly makes me fail very quickly. If you arent hitting many notes, take a very short break and find a note that you are going to start again on.

The very last section of the song is the decending triplets. This section is much much easier for me. If you have any experience tapping, go down to the solo buttons and hold down the yellow note. I use my fretting hand for the blue note and tap the orange note. I assume it would work just as well to tap both blue and orange. I can keep a combo the whole way through on this section with this technique.
Browntown  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed it at 96% completion.

Usually I'd fail it at around 80% because I couldn't get the freaking zig-zags down, but I made it through this last time. It was the O-B-Y's that got me. And I was using Overdrive and everything. Could not hit one single note to get myself started once I screwed it up.

This song is really ticking me off because there isn't a song that any Guitar Hero threw at me that I couldn't pass. But this one is KILLING me.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: El Browntown
mcpryon  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**MAJOR DEVELOPMENT**

Well, I finally beat this song just now on my first try tonight.

Now, I've bitched about something being "off" with the song especially, and the game in general. I never once felt like I was on, never once playing this game.

Well, I've been thinking about getting the VGA cables for a while since my TV's native res is the same as one of the reses the VGAs unlock...so I looked in my settings on my 360 and found that the display was set to 1080p (don't ask me why).

I changed it to 720p, which is a close match to my TV's native res, figuring the 360 was probably doing some unneeded upscaling and perhaps that was causing the off feeling and the video surges and jumps and shit I would see.

Well, the result was it was like playing an entirely different game. Everything I played was a new high score and I decided to play the hoedown pile (or hillbilly song, depending on my mood) and breezed through it.

So...thus ends my quest...now maybe I can finally get a real 100% on the Garbage song on expert drums instead of getting an extra hit every time I 100% it.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: McPryon PSN Name: McPryon
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed it my first time playing it but was close to dying on the first zigzag (where I didn't have overdrive), luckily from there on I had overdrive for most of the rest (including the second zigzag)
b08smith  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've improved from failing at 80%ish to failing at 96% every time If I ever mange to save Overdrive for those fast triplets this song will be mine!

Playing with the Les Paul as I can't seem to use the solo buttons on my Strat without seting off overdrive straight away. In practice mode I can hit that last section fine but by the end of the song I've got no stamina left and the rock meter plummets.

Not tried again for a while since I've been concentrating on drums but I'll have to go on a mission soon to get this out the way!

EarthVsMatt  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've past this song finally , and have passed it everytime since I've played it since.

My advice is for the zig zags, try to hit at least the first 5 notes in a row, then if you miss a few don't worry, try starting back up where the zigzags start on the green again.

I eventually got all the way through it w/o having to use OD,.

I'm just trying to 5* this thing now, only 20k off or so.
Quickdraw  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember is unlike guitar hero you can't hold the ho-po b4 it shows up. This is easily shown at the beginning of this song, you have to hit the HO-POs very near right on, which is why the zigzags and solo 2M are so damn hard. Try moving using the 2 finger slide used in freebird solo C by many. That seemed to work best for me.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quickdraw423
Ozznfruitloops  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny, Im very good at or , or triplets of that, or any form of that. Anything thats ascending or descending with a consistant rate, im good at. This is my technique.

If not solo, strum and match two fingers each hand on the buttons. Fret hand GR and srum hand YB. Flip if reversed. On the

section, I can perfect it once i get in position.

Now add in the ascending/Descending Red, and my head explodes. I cant beat the Freebird section. It kills me. There are sections that kill me big time and I gotta practice. It sucks, my bread and butter parts are at the end of the song ; ; It kills me that people are failing on the triplets...i can perfect these....wtf?
5*Hard TTFAF:
Xpert Lou: -_-a
5*Xpert: None Yet
5*Xpert Bonus: None Yet
FINISH TTFAF Xpert: ::blows brains out::
Adramelech  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lurked here for a bit picking up tips and techniques, but I had to register just to post that I've finally beaten this godforsaken song after failing for days and days.

I've never played a guitar game before Rock Band and I started on Expert right off the bat because I figured, hell, how hard could it really be? I did pretty well all the way up to this song, which crushed my spirit and made me think I completely sucked, even for a person who has only played for three weeks.

The key for me was the solo buttons through the "zig-zag" part. I took it into practice and found my perfect rhythm for tapping it out with two hands and got 100%.

I just held green with my left index finger, used my right middle finger for yellow and index for red (overhand), then hit the "extra" red with my left middle finger. It's a really easy flow to keep once you get it the first time.
dannymiller  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this song is hard on the les paul...but i finally beat it...yay me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: