FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
blingdomepiece - The slow pro key 5* grind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good day today. Picked up 26K when all was said and done.

I started by working on the Reaper outro. Practiced it eight times, getting up to 97% at 90% speed but never beating 90% at full speed. Did a full run and scored 188K; I'd almost rather fail than score that low because it takes less time. On the plus side I'm now able to recover when I break combo in the rolls so I tend not to die there anymore.

Next did a run of Foreplay/LT and got 37K on Foreplay, which is a best, and ended the run at 264K which is an 8K increase. I'm getting better at not breaking combo during those 4-snares-over-two-bass sections. Before I would hit those but then miss whatever was immediately after (usually a green+bass). Need to get better at just hitting the long sections of triplets in FP including the OD phrases in there.

Scored 152K on Electric Version which is just below my best. It looks like I am peaking in the low 150s on that song for now.

Next got my Vasoline FC. Took two tries. First was a -1 run where I also missed the BRE, so I was more worried about the BRE the second time than the actual song. Anyway that's done now, picked up a measly 3K.

Next a couple of slight improvements of 1K on Next to You and 2K on Dead on Arrival. The Next to You was a fairly strong heel-up run where my leg just got tired at the end so I stopped hitting things. So if I can work on my endurance with this method I should be able to bring this score up.

Next a run on WGFA where I did the best ever by far on the first part of the song, kind lame on the solos but ended it with OD so I was able to gimp through the final solo part after the break and end up with 247K, which is a 7K increase. The 5* run is in reach if I can combine that first half with one of my stronger second half runs.

Last thing for the day was a Celebrity Skin -1 run. Thought I might get the FC but forgot about that little roll of 8 snares at the end and missed in there. I doubt I will go after the FC anytime soon.

Tried bringing up a few other scores (Timmy, DRC, Suffragette City, and Epic) but feel short by a few hundred to a couple thousand in each case. So that's it for today.

Not sure what I want to work on tomorrow. Might take the day off actually.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.6M is reached. Took me 11 days to get from 9.5M to 9.6M. The last three days I had almost no change. Didn't get a chance to play for a couple days, then yesterday the best I could manage was a 4K increase in Epic. Also had a 39K run on Foreplay which was a best to date, but ended up 6K short overall.

Today started with an hour of awesomeness trying to buy the new DLC. PSN network isn't liking my wireless connection. Played through the A7X songs twice each and failed Hammerhead twice at 16% and 29%; going to have to practice that one. Not going to bother with Crooked X.

Farted around in the bonus songs and had an unusually good run on Truth Hits Everybody, so figured the time was ripe to try Next To You. Sure enough got an 11K increase from 83K to 94K. I play much closer to the kit on this one and switch between heel up and heel down depending on the part of the song. I like heel down for the chorus to have a bit more control but then heel up for the verses.

Next a run on Reaper that ended as all my runs on Reaper do these days, with a score between 205K and 215K based on a crappy outro. Have to get good at the outro.

Next I brought my Cherub Rock score up 800 points. I am so proud of those 800 points. I worked on the song for a month and I have managed 800 points. Each and every point has meaning to me. Anyway.

Did three more runs on Foreplay, with a high of 37K. Didn't feel like playing the rest of the song so I didn't.

Next got my Maps GS with a run of 189K. I think I made it by under 100 points. Only missed the triplet rolls and I'm happy with that.

Only song I'm missing to GS the first three tiers is Suffragette City. I have been working on it but couldn't beat -5 in a run. Today I had a -3 run and hit almost all the rolls, but one of the misses was in a really random easy place and my score went up 1K to 182K, still 1K short of Gold. I find it a tedious song to play but I guess if I do a run every day or two I'll eventually get the GS and be able to leave it.

Played around a few more songs and couldn't find any points, then decided to do another run of Next To You based on the improvement I saw before and the time my leg had to rest. Got a 104K run, which is 10K better than the high score I just got, and brings me to 9.6M.

So now I am that little bit closer to this somewhat pointless goal. I was working on 19 songs when I got to 9.5M. 11 days later I haven't made my target score on any of them. I did get my first new Gold Star in two weeks and I finally beat Run to the Hills for the second time.

To get to 9.7M I am going to try to:
* Get my GS on Suffragette City
* Get my GS on Hand that Feeds
* 5* Won't Get Fooled Again
* 5* Next To You
* 5* Don't Fear the Reaper

I think I will also rotate out Cherub Rock, Electric Version, and Brainpower for now, and rotate in Outside, I Get By, and Tom Sawyer. I also have to start practicing the TKAR rolls. I'll keep doing regular runs of Foreplay/LT, Dead on Arrival, and Detroit Rock City.
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have noticed you and me are pretty similar, although you are a bit ahead of me now obviously, but scorewise.

First off congrats on Maps GS. I spent 2 hours trying that last week, broke 188k 5 times, got within 75 of GS score, but could not GS it.

Second, as for celebrity skin, use the path 2-1. I Believe it is optimal, and it avoids the rolls you missed.

Suffragette City has been killing me. I always miss the OD on that long roll and fall 3k short of GS, which that would give me. Is there a different path you take to avoid this? Just curious.

BTW, you beat me by 100 on our two sightreads of Afterlife :-).

Good luck on 9.7

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also noticed this. Considering you are ahead of me on most of the hardest songs, I wouldn't be surprised if you pass me in the next little while.

Kind of lucky on Maps that when I finally had that "one good run" it was just enough for the GS. I use the path 0-0-1 for that song... pretty much all my paths come from the forums.

I'm content with Celebrity Skin because it's only another 2K if I FC it and I start going nuts if I play the same song more than three times in a day .

For Suffragette City I just use 0-1-0..., and I generally miss that same phrase, although I did happen to hit it this time. Although I also ended with unused OD on this run so I obviously messed something up. I didn't strictly LRLRLR that roll this time though. I did a bit of LRLRLR then one handed the last few and hit green with my right (I think there's a green at the end of that, right?). So maybe that'll help, I don't know how you normally stick those.

I actually failed my Afterlife sight... and I haven't passed Hammerhead yet. But I'll take that into practice in the next couple of days. Great DLC this week.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 20K boost today, to 9,620,174.

Suffragette City is annoying. I really feel like I should be able to FC it but I always mess a few things up. I realized my path was wrong, should have been 0-1-1-0 instead of 0-1-0-0. Now I have to hit the roll OD phrase for GS. I don't like going for FCs because I find it numbing to go through 3 1/2 minutes of a song to get to the part I always mess up and then, sure enough, mess it up. And of course that roll is a perfect example of that kind of section.

My other GS project isn't going much better. Had some runs on Hand that Feeds where I kept missing the second phrase for the third activation but was doing well on the fast part. Finally had a run where I FCed up to the fast part and then was really sloppy there, missing phrases etc. I only need another 2-3K on this one for Gold so it's just a question of repetition.

However I am much closer to my Next To You 5*. Only 1K short now. All my "clicking" runs seem to be 95% notes hit now, but the score seems to vary quite a bit, from 99K to 112K. The 112K was an 8K increase over my previous best...

Using the same pedal style I've redone some other triple hit songs and I managed 4K more on Reaper (still bad on the Outro of course) and 2K more on Paranoid. Also did a run of Welcome Home that was 2K short of my current high but had a couple of random misses, so I'm sure that one will go up if I come back to it occasionally.

Next I picked up about 4K on Day Late, Dollar Short. Pretty solid run hitting most of the quick bits. There is one OD phrase in the bridge I still always miss that seems quite hittable. It's like the sections around it but adds an extra note and bass I think. I also never keep combo in the two fast pad-bass sections in the song (in the 2nd and 3rd pre-chorus sections). My goal is to get that score up from 166K to about 172K.

Last improvement for today was Pleasure (Pleasure). I noticed it was one of my worst songs on SH in terms of rank, which struck me funny so I played through it. Got a 2K increase to 134K and passed about 30 people! I guess it's a song where people just barely get the GS and then don't play it again.

Working on Outside, I Get By, and Tom Sawyer, but not really getting far with any of them yet.
Batsky  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you 5-starred outside?

Studies show that 92% of kids listen to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listens to real music put this in your signature.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't. I have gotten a 4x combo in the main part of the song but never held it for super long. My best ever note streak on the song is 161.

I need to take this one into practice for 30 minutes and really get comfortable with that riff and then I should be able to increase my score.

The 5* I still need are Outside, Run to the Hills, Next To You, Reaper, Won't Get Fooled Again, and Dead on Arrival.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up close to 50K today! Current score: 9,669,718

No new 5*s. I actually had a pretty terrible day for both Next to You and Reaper so I wasn't expecting much progress in general.

One new GS, Hand that Feeds. I missed an OD phrase near the end but still recovered to get enough points by skipping a fill in the ending part. This is really an FCable song given enough patience but I don't have that patience at the moment. Picked up 5K there.

Also got closer for both Black Hole Sun and When You Were Young but I'm not sure when I'll get either one. For BHS I hit pretty much every tricky part I have ever hit in the same run and still feel a couple K short. WYWY I comboed the snare roll at 8x and it wasn't enough. There are a couple parts in the first half I usually miss that I am going to have to get down cold so I can hit the break with 100K. I think only then can I get GS, and I would to combo the roll again.

Main improvement on the day was Outside, which I brought up 24K to 182K. I actually barely had to hit practice to get back on track on this one. Played the guitar solo at 80%, then 90%, then full speed and hit 95% at full speed. This one still has a ways to go obviously for 5* but once I can hit that riff in my sleep I will work on all the little fills in between that mess me up too. I am still 50K short of the 5* and about 2% notes hit short.

Other improvements:

* Say It Ain't So - re-FCed (still cheap) with the "optimal cheap path".
* Blood Doll - brought up 3K to 90K with a -1 run.
* I Get By - brought up 6K to 187K. Getting better at the verse but I need a run where I combo or near-combo both and don't miss an OD phrase.
* Dead on Arrival - brought up 3K to 96K.
* Cherub Rock - brought up 3K to 220K. Finally duplicated the effort where I missed the BRE, anyway. Got 99% notes hit which seems to be the threshold for GS.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up another 25K today. Current score is 9,694,893.

I actually got the first 1K last night on a run of Wanted Dead or Alive. Still lose combo in the breakdown near the end and I'm too lazy to go after that 3K right now.

Did a run of Won't Get Fooled Again last night and scored 251K, so I figured today I would play it until I got 5* (or realistically about ten times since I would start to get pissed and quit). Ended up taking me four tries. The first time I had 154K by the "YEAH!" (cheesy but an easy part to remember), and 229K into the final bit, but ended up just short with 258K after messing up the cymbal hits at the end. Second time I had 149K by the "YEAH" and failed out before the break. Third time I had 149K by the "YEAH" but had a good solo and came into the break with 229K again. But I had a bad closing bit so finished with 254K. The fourth time I went into the break with only 225K and really only finished the song to see how well I could do if I skipped a fill. Well, I got 37K that way and got the 5*. So, wonderful. If I combined the best parts of all those runs it would be 270K so I know I can do better at some point. Started a fifth and sixth run but each one was pretty bad so good enough for now.

Next I went to Next To You and scored 104K on the first run, but hit 96% of the notes for the first time. My leg wasn't really tired so I went at it a second time and scored 115K, so that 5* is now also out of the way.

Next tried to bring up the Dead on Arrival score but after two runs my best score was 91K so I figured maybe not today.

Last score I was able to bring up was Outside, from 182K to 187K. I still miss a lot more notes than I think I should at the start. Did a second run and the score was only about 160K. This time I missed notes pretty well everywhere .

At this point my arms were kind of rubbery and I failed Foreplay, then did a run of Day Late Dollar Short that was respectable (161K) but I can tell I won't be improving anything else tonight.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it to 9.7M. Goal today was to get that last 5K I needed and it was not one of the easier days, but it's done. Current score is: 9,704,018, pickup today of about 10K.

Started with Cherub Rock, had two terrible runs where I could not hit a snare double-hit to save my life so bailed halfway through.

Next, Timmy. Figured everyone on Scorehero has a better score so I must be able to improve this one! 14 runs later, no. Best I did on the first two verse/choruses was 42K, best I did on the rest was 40K, but never on the same run so I ended up about 100 points shy of my best score on my best run of the day. I think I am getting better at the song but it was a bit discouraging.

Next, Brainpower. Picked up a new best score the first run of 88K. Next run slipped to 81K and the one after that was looking worse so I shifted again.

Next, Wave of Mutilation. Six runs, best score was 100K where I missed once in the first half and of course the roll. I think I can improve my score here at some point but not yet.

Started playing random songs to catch lightning: Flirtin' With Disaster, Outside, Enter Sandman, Next To You, Orange Crush, nothing doing.

Played Suffragette City to go for the GS, hit the roll with OD, then choked on the OD bass section. Yeah, way to go me.

THEN, When You Were Young. Got almost 100K on the first half, missed once during the roll, final score 160K or 100 points short of my best.

Then, ANOTHER run of Cherub Rock to see if I would be less terrible now that I was warmed up. Nope.

So at that point I bailed for about 10 hours to accomplish a few useful thing with my day. Came back again determined to get the points on Orange Crush. First run, choked at end and got 208K. Couple of restarted runs later I get a 216K and that brings me over.

So, yeah. 9.7M. That puts me halfway there from when I started this thread. Which means there could be three more pages of this to come. Or more. I am as worried as you are.

Goals while I am going for 9.8M:
* GS Suffragette City (I'll just keep this one up as long as it takes)
* FC Enter Sandman
* GS When You Were Young, Orange Crush, Paranoid, Cherub Rock
* Get up to 200K on Outside
* Get up to 275K on WGFA
* Hit my target scores on DLDS, I Get By, and Brainpower.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bit of a rut at the moment. Yesterday played five or six songs and the best I could manage was a 1K improvement on Timmy.

Today decided to play through all 19 songs I have been trying to improve scores on. Took a while and the results weren't much -- brought Train Kept a Rollin' up from 196K to 199K. Need the rolls obviously.

My run on Dead on Arrival was only 1K short of my best score and I had OD cover the supah fill of doom. That might not be a bad thing to try to do on purpose since I will never hit it, and this way I can potentially keep an 8x multiplier for the part that is after. Not sure. Also hit 95% of the notes on this one for the first time. This score should go up in the next few days.

Detroit Rock City run started really well and finished at 158K. I am starting to wonder about my red pad after some of the recent runs on this song, and especially Outside (where I seem plateaued at 170K). Maybe I am having mysterious tempo stability problems but I am starting to wonder.

Still playing below my level on both Cherub Rock and Reaper. Today I could hit the snares on CR and not a single triple bass hit. On Reaper I still can't hit the outro. I remember the first time I ever passed this song I had 4x for most of the outro. If I could that once now, even on a lucky run, that's 5*. Oh well.

Got 156K on the first "part" of WGFA, which is my best yet. Failed out a bit later but it still counts as a promising note.

Lastly scored 130K on "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" which is 2K off my high, but I did it while missing two consecutive OD phrases (and thus an entire activation). So I'm going to work on this one a bit more.

Finding another 294K seems like a daunting task at the moment.
EarthVsMatt  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definetly like the way you organize your accomplishments.

Goodluck man, I'm going for the same.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bro, and good luck. If anything in my rambling monologue ends up being useful I'll be happy!

Today was pretty good. I went up about 20K, to 9,727,415. I have been working too much on the same five or six songs lately so now I'm mixing it up. I am going to boycott Cherub Rock, Don't Fear the Reaper, Timmy, Electric Version, Highway Star, and Outside for the time being. So I've switched up on my original 9.8M goals quite a bit.

First run of the day was on Flirtin' With Disaster, which I've barely touched in the last month. I ended up having one of those locked in runs and finished with 238K, just shy of GS and 9K better than my previous high. Did a second run to see if I could push over and ended up with only 212K. Funny thing is both runs had 98% notes hit, but the former had a best streak close to 500 and the latter about 200. What kills my score in this song is all the little combo breaks that add up.

Next on to Are You Gonna Be My Girl. My first run I screwed up OD and ended up with 128K, but I hit two of the paradiddle fills which I had never done at full speed. Next two runs were both up to 134K (which is a high) but I hit none of the fills. Last run was 130K. My goal on this song is 140K. The fill is actually pretty hittable now that I know how, I just tend to brain lock in the actual run. My left hand is dominant and it always wants to do too much on the second half of the paradiddle. Stop, left hand! Let me get my high score...

Next up was Dead on Arrival. Did one run, broke 100K for the first time getting 103875. 95% notes hit, and FCed the opening part. I quit while I was ahead because I know next time I play this song I'll spend an hour just trying to get back to 100K . But I am internalizing that opening bit which is going to help.

Won't Get Fooled Again I was just short. 156K by the midpoint and 232K after the solo but I messed up OD in the solo, missing a phrase and causing me to activate too late, which meant I had no OD going into the final bit. That can make a good score difference because the end part is much easier to keep a combo than the part before so if you can get a good long OD in there it's going to add up. Anyway I ended up with 261225, which was 1K short of my high.

Did two runs of Day Late, Dollar Short. Got 164K and 166K. My goal is 172K. I was pretty happy with these runs but I can only play this song a couple of times usually before I start to wear down and suck.

I Get By I did one run and sucked so I bailed. This is one I am going to keep working on though.

Two runs on DRC, with 161K and 165K. I think this one I just need to play every session because I hit different parts in each run.

Finally I did a run of FP/LT, got 137K after the second verse which is my best yet. Didn't do as hot on the final stretch but it was still good enough for a whole 1K increase, to 265K.

I am going to keep working on these specific songs for the next few days until I start to hate them too.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back. Was preoccupied for most of the week but had a chance to play a few songs today. Pretty excited about the Rush and Who coming (and I'll pick up the RHCP as well, more than likely, although I'm only a casual fan) but that's not the point of this.

Career score is up to 9,755,399, most of the gain coming today in about an hour of playing.

I have been investigating Suffragette City and it seems I can get about 30k after the break if I FC it, without having an activation. So to get gold I would need to hit the break with 153k (no OD) or maybe a bit less if I have an activation. Trying the 0-1-1-0 path, I missed the "OD roll" and as a result finished with 178K. I also tried a few 0-1-0-0 path that assumes I will miss the roll (I did accidentally hit it once), got 179825 with only two misses in the entire song (one being the roll). So this suggests to me that missing the roll pretty much guarantees non-gold on this song. I think I will keep trying the 0-1-1-0 path until I finally have a run where I hit it. Assuming optimal path and hitting all OD I can probably afford 3-4 misses.

When You Were Young I had a 161K run, hitting the roll but there are three other spots I routinely miss (anyone doing a run with optimal path won't have trouble knowing where those are). Think I need to take those bits into practice.

Wanted Dead or Alive I got up from 140K to 142K, comboing the cymbal part at the end (using left hand only) but missing the spot I usually miss in the breakdown.

I have been working on Time We Had even though I already had gold on it. I wanted to get within about 10K of the high score. Took many runs until I finally hit every phrase under optimal path and was rewarded with 171K, which is 20th on Scorehero. That was an 11K increase.

Best progress of the day though was I Get By. I had some lousy runs on it recently but was determined to get the verses down. By my fourth consecutive run I almost comboed the verses and got to the midpoint of the song with 120K, which was 19K better than my previous best. Unfortunately I choked and broke combo twice near the end, once on an OD phrase, so I ended up with 201K. On the one hand that was a 14K increase and also beats my "target score" on the song. On the other hand I think I blew gold stars by missing an OD activation. Hopefully at some point I can repeat the feat but it won't be today.

Got 162K on DRC, 128K on AYGBYG, and 159K on DLDS ... all knocking on the doorstep of my best scores but not so close as to give me much hope I'll exceed them any time soon.

Still just under 250K to go, but nice to have a day where I felt I made progress.

EDIT: Just got my GS on Cherub Rock with an 18K improved, 238K. On a random run. Finally hit all the crap in the same run. So geeked...
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it to 9.8M today. 9,829,548 to be exact. If I can ever connect to the server I can see where I am on the leaderboards but the PSN doesn't like me today.

First thing I did today was finally pass Hammerhead. That song gave me no end of trouble. I don't mind admitting I skipped about 8 fills on OD . If I ever want the 5* I won't be able to do that but I just wanted to pass.

Next up was Outside. I thought after finally breaking through on I Get By that my foot independence seemed to have improved. So I played through and scored 214K, which is 27K better than my previous best and brought me within a few hundred points of 9.8M. I am actually within 10K of the 5* which is way better than I thought I could do.

Played through Reaper, thinking wouldn't it be nice to get 9.8M and the 5* at the same time. Got 131K up to the solos, decent solo, good V3, bad outro. 219K, an improvement of 200 points which was just short.

Got over 9.8M thanks to Day Late Dollar Short. I hit the OD phrase in the fast pad/bass part but missed the one I always do in the bridge so instead of going 1-0-1 I went 1-0-0. Final score was 170K which is within 2K of my target score.

Passed Run to the Hills for the fourth time, getting 91K. FCed up to the fast part, but I still suck at the song (79% notes hit). I am now taking it into practice; got 95% on the entire song at 80% speed, which fell to 88% at 90% speed. I will work on getting that into the mid-to-high 90s and then see what that does for me at full speed.

Finally brought my Timmy score up, from 83K to 88K. I always missed one of the OD phrases in the verse, so I run out before I get to the last OD phrase in the second chorus. I missed that TOO so it didn't matter much . So later in the song when I hit the next two activations I skipped a fill to make sure I'd get the last phrase, which allowed me to do most of the final chorus at 8x.

Final improvement of the day (and best for last) was a GS on Orange Crush that actually got me 10th on the web-site. I have never been that highly ranked on a disc song so I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I think it was either a -1 or -2 run; I missed the first time right before "throw your conscience overseas" in verse 2, but don't remember if I missed after that. Hit every phrase though with optimal path.

So... now... 170K to go. It actually seems reachable for the first time. My goals on the way to 9.9M are:

* 5* Outside
* GS When You Were Young
* GS Paranoid
* Get up to 275K on WGFA
* Get up to 85% on Run to the Hills (should get me about 110K in score)
* Get/stay in the top 100 (SH) for all songs.

I have dropped a couple of the goals that seemed more trouble than the score increase would be worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Accomplishments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 2 of 31

Jump to: