FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
All sorts of note charts (TBRB, GDRB)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajanata  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: All sorts of note charts (TBRB, GDRB) Reply with quote

RB 1/2 and DLC (also Green Day) | The Beatles: Rock Band and DLC

Related: Guitar/Bass/Guitar+Bass charts - Drum/Drum+Vocal charts - Vocal charts - Vocaltar charts - Full Band charts

Many apologies for not keeping the threads up to date. I wanted to have the RB2 charts up for release, but various technical and scheduling difficulties popped up and prevented it. Oh well, less than a day isn't bad turnaround, is it?

(Note: This message is copy-pasted to every thread, so ignore anything that doesn't apply to the instrument(s) involved as described in the thread title.)

These charts contain per-measure and cumulative scores, OD whammy beats, solo note counts, clock time since the last OD note before a drum activation fill, and BRE estimated upperbound scores.

For the vocals, these charts contain bare-bones vocals charts. Overdrive activation zones are not marked in the .mid as they are for drums, so I suspect any gap between phrases longer than a certain amount of time (either clock time or number of beats, I'm not sure yet) is a valid activation point. I don't have time to do the needed research for this right now, but I hope to get to it Real Soon Now™. The pitch lines are pretty decent at this point, though sometimes they seem to go off the top or bottom for some reason. The talky part indicator characters (#, ^, and *) are left on the lyrics in case anyone wishes to do any experimenting to try to figure out what the different ones mean, if anything. A * by itself is a percussion hit (I would expect this to be rather obvious).

Zip files with all charts removed due to obscene amount of disk space required, sorry.

A big thank you to rkcr, Revelus, and Sully for finding bugs. Thank pata70 for improvements to the vocal pitch lines. Thanks also go out to Krim and PeridotWeapon in this thread for information about solo bonuses and Big Rock Ending scoring. Big shoutout to debr for documenting Rock Band's .mid format and helping with some rounding issues. Kawigi found and described issues with non-x/4 measures which enabled me to fix them, and make a bit of the code much more readable (it was done in SUCH a stupid way and re-coding it made it much easier to read, and worked better, and was simpler. Yay stupid things).

A huge thank you to Deimos for assisting with DLC.

Rock Band 2 notes:

• Drum solos worked with no code change on my part, hurray! I did have to make it count notes correctly (and not count chords as single notes), but I don't think that qualifies. ;)
  • The delay for a drum activation fill showing up after an OD note has changed! I do not know what the new value is, just that it has changed. This invalidates all drum paths previously created for RB1 and DLC songs.
  • Eventually, I want to indicate hammer-on and pull-off notes on the charts, since they can be manually placed in RB2. This requires (very simple) investigation to determine how they are marked (probably just a flag in the mid with the notes) and an overhaul of the code to be able to draw HOPO notes.

General notes:

• Vocal "slides" (with the slanty pitch tubes) are not drawn at all. Any time a lyric is a +, pretend that the +'s pitch tube and the previous pitch tube are connected with a slanted pitch tube. I haven't tackled how to handle this between measures yet.
  • If there is a held guitar part note or a vocal note that extends out of or into a measure which is not in x/4 time, there may be issues with drawing the held line. I didn't find any test cases in my (admittingly brief) testing, so I don't know. Please let me know if you find one and it doesn't look right.
  • Overdrive backgrounds extend the exact range specified in the .mid file. Sometimes this is significantly shorter than the length of a sustained note (see third note in Foreplay/Long Time for example).
  • If a solo or BRE ends at the far right of a line, the note count/bonus score can get cut off.
  • The .mid BEAT track is now displayed on every chart. The game uses this to determine how long Overdrive lasts. A full bar of Overdrive always lasts for exactly 32 BEAT track beats. Most of the time this is 16, 32, or 64 noteboard beats, depending on tempo. Sometimes, it isn't (see the first break in Foreplay/Long Time for an example). I don't see the two events in the BEAT track doing different things in the gameplay (perhaps different stage lighting or something but nothing that matters for pathing), so I've drawn them all in the same color. If it isn't obvious, you want to look at the small red lines above every set of lines (this also makes a nice seperator for multi-instrument parts). Note that this DOES NOT affect whammy rate, only usage rate. Whammy is always based on noteboard beats.
  • Band per-measure scores, more or less. This is currently done "stupidly", and does not include vocals. It is "stupid" because it takes each instrument's per-measure score and multiplies it by the instrument's maximum multiplier, regardless of whether such a multiplier is possible yet at that point. Vocals is on the to-do list and maybe a smarter way of doing it.

If you find a problem with these charts not outlined above, please send me a private message and I'll look into it.

FAQ
(Yes, I have been asked some of these more than once.)

Q. What did you use to make these charts?
A. I wrote a program in PHP to parse the .mid files (using a library) and coded the rest from there.

Q. How long does it take to make the charts?
A. I completely revamped my code to do every single chart in one go, so it takes significanly less time than it used to. It also stores the parsed .mid files in a (very large file-size) format which it can read nearly instantaneously, instead of taking several seconds to parse the .mid file every time. For the first batch with 147 songs, it took 42 minutes to parse the files and make guitar, bass, guitar+bass, drums, vocals, voxtar, and full band charts; just generating the images from the cached parses took about 16 minutes.

Q: Can I host a mirror for your charts?
A: Not needed, as the 'official' location for them is on a fairly powerful server. Thanks for offering, though.

Last edited by ajanata on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:59 am; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ajanata
MHSTenor09  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling shenanigans on this. And I'm also calling for a sticky. Although the vocal charts in the full band charts seem really cramped... But i guess that doesn't really matter.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: wafflecopter05 PSN Name: wafflecopter05
CowShark  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow.

These look fabulous. Thanks for doing these, ajanata.
ajanata  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHSTenor09 wrote:
I'm calling shenanigans on this. And I'm also calling for a sticky. Although the vocal charts in the full band charts seem really cramped... But i guess that doesn't really matter.

*Grabs his broom.*

They're still bad at the normal 60 px per beat setting (these charts are halved to 30 px per beat), and doing that would make the images twice as tall as they are now. =\

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that would be a problem... But w/e. The lyrics don't matter so much anyway... Except for talkies.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: wafflecopter05 PSN Name: wafflecopter05
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ajanata!

Raunch... get to work for moar pathing for UHR! xoxo

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
raunch99  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have your babies please?

Please don't take this as me complaining or anything, cause these charts are awesome, but if the there is anyway to get the points for the vocal measures that would be the greatest thing of all time. I realize that may not be possible, but if you are looking for things to add, that would be a huge help for those of us full band pathing.

Regardless, these charts are awesome. Thank you for all the time you put into this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that eventually, though it might take a few weeks. It's not as straightforward as the other scores, and I don't have the time to work on it right now. =/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited to use these to path some full band stuff, thanks a lot ajanata!

If you're indecisive about what to do with the vocals as to how to make them more readable, I suggest that you completely remove the pitches and just have the words be displayed above the instruments, with phrase cuttoffs indicated, OD phrases highlighted, and activation points noted. The pitches don't matter to anyone pathing, and I doubt any vocalists actually NEED to look at a chart to see pitches.
ajanata  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juggernaut7581 wrote:
If you're indecisive about what to do with the vocals as to how to make them more readable, I suggest that you completely remove the pitches and just have the words be displayed above the instruments, with phrase cuttoffs indicated, OD phrases highlighted, and activation points noted. The pitches don't matter to anyone pathing, and I doubt any vocalists actually NEED to look at a chart to see pitches.

That's not a bad idea for the full band charts, and possible the vocaltar charts as well. Especially considering how the pitch line isn't really all that accurate (as in sometimes it goes above or below the staff). =\

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fucking thanks man...finally I can path FB w/o feeling like a tard...

GD:RB brought be back, RB3 will keep me

Bass FCs: RB 55/58, RB2 71/84, DLC 22/lol++(of over 300 DLC FCs only 22 scores were still posted...wtf!), AC/DC(X) 0/18, LRB(X) 18/45, GD:RB 10/43
ajanata  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for fixing some vocal OD phrases. See OP for more information.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump again for per-measure band scores (vocals excluded) as well as OD usage rate thingy charting.

Hey, it's been over a month. >_>

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're curious, and haven't read the Vocal charts thread, the pitch on the charts now correspond to these notes:

+---- C5
+---- G#4
+---- E4
+---- C4
+---- G#3
+---- E3
+---- C3

Thanks ajanata!
lordryan29  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, I've been waiting for theese. Please sticky!
"It presently learns, that, since the dawn of history, there has been a constant accumulation and classifying of facts. But what is classification but the perceiving that these objects are not chaotic, and are not foreign, but have a law which is also a law of the human mind?"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: lordryan29
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: