FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drums and squeezing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbritish  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this does work!!
SubIime  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I think I finally grasp squeezing, hell, I may have already done it lol.

But, can someone make "Squeezing for Morons" post in this topic, like, step by step instructions, really dumbed down on how to Squeeze.

I saw the diagram on like page 2, and didn't quite understand.

Thanks
laconic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's use the following chart (thanks ajanata for supplying the original).

The pink is where the fill would be. The fill would replace the Y,YO,RY,Y,YO. The green note will be where the second YO is in the pink. Now if you hit the green to end the fill early enough (if you're fast enough, hit it on beat), then immediately hit yellow and orange that are hidden under the end of the fill, you can get 400 extra points. This is squeezing type two, or phantom note squeezing.

Type one squeezing is done more like guitar squeezing. If you had half a bar of overdrive when you activated at this fill, it would last four measures (at least in the song I pulled this chart from), in other words, the whole chart. If you hit the green to end the fill too early, the overdrive will end before the YO at the very end, making you lose 200 points. But remember, you have to hit the green early to hit the phantom notes. How do you do it? You hit the YO at the very end early also. This squeezes that YO back into overdrive getting you the 200 points back.

It is also possible that if there was a 16th note immediatly after the YO at the end of this chart, you could hit the green to end the fill late. Then you would hit that 16th not early to squeeze it into the overdrive. In most cases though, the phantom notes would give you more points than doing this. Although, it may be possible to get the phantom notes and still do this, but you would have to have very good timing.

Last edited by laconic on Thu May 08, 2008 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
SubIime  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So alright, phantom note squeezing is hitting the green a bit early, say, half a second early, and then immediately hitting what would be under it normally.

The second one you showed me is like, if there's a red at the end of the sequence normally, I hit green AND red at the end of the sequence, or do I do green-red?

Yes, no ?
laconic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually more like a tenth of a second early. Then immediatly hit what would be underneath.

The other way was: If you look at the chart I posted above. at the very right side there is a Y+O. This may or may not be in the overdrive depending on when you hit the green at the end of the fill, and when you hit the Y+O themselves. If you hit the green early, the overdrive starts early, which means it also ends early.
SubIime  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH.

Ok, so, on the 10th-of-a-second deal, it's basically a double stroke.
And, alright, so hitting the overdrive early to achieve a squeeze is front-end squeezing, but since you hit it early it'll start early, so you want to hit the notes at the end of the overdrive a bit early also, so you get them in the 8x multiplier, hence back-end squeezing.

Correct?

EDIT:
So after reading Javman/Gurn's post in "A Letter to Javman,"
Jav says he tries to hit it dead on, and then snap to the other note.

So, does that mean I could hit crash dead on, and then haul ass and hit the phantom notes?

Also, if it's a Green+Bass phantom note, do I have to hit green twice, or just once?
laconic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By George, he's got it! I think he's got it!

A very fast double stroke if it's a green. Though if it's just a green it would be easier to use both sticks. Though there are times (Sabotage, 29 Fingers, etc...) where it a fill can have two other notes (R+B+O or R+B for the songs I just mentioned). This would force you to do a fast scrape, green to blue, with your right hand stick.

So find the optimal path. Look up the phantom notes. FC a song trying to squeeze every note possible. If your note streak is lower than someone elses with that path, you missed some phantom notes. If the streak is the same, but your score lower, you missed some notes at the end of the overdrives.
SubIime  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoo, thanks

soon as I get my xbox back, time to gold star/lrn2sqz.
HannTyler  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if lets say you haven't ever squeezed how could the points be different? I did Joker and the Thief today 100% using the same overdrive route as Cyclone but I ended up 200 points ahead... He FC'd it I did, I didn't hit green early or late or hit phantom notes or hit notes early to get them into the overdrive section.... Would I have had to in order to pull out 200 points ahead?
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HannTyler wrote:
So if lets say you haven't ever squeezed how could the points be different? I did Joker and the Thief today 100% using the same overdrive route as Cyclone but I ended up 200 points ahead... He FC'd it I did, I didn't hit green early or late or hit phantom notes or hit notes early to get them into the overdrive section.... Would I have had to in order to pull out 200 points ahead?

Did you hit the bass drum with the green OD activations? It's very possible you could have hit the bass drum slightly after the green pad, and it may have counted as a squeezed phantom note.

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
Javman158  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GurnKiller wrote:
HannTyler wrote:

Did you hit the bass drum with the green OD activations? It's very possible you could have hit the bass drum slightly after the green pad, and it may have counted as a squeezed phantom note.

You also may have managed a back end squeeze that Cyclone did not. Often those back-end squeezes also occur on a Bass+Pad, which is squeezed in is worth an exra 200 points. It's less likely, but still possible.
HannTyler  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GurnKiller wrote:

I'm not a real drummer so I don't think I did bass on green, maybe a back end squeeze though.
KEFIOX  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this explains my score on Gimme Three Steps. My top score is 167,575 with optimal OD but for some reason I haven't been able to match that. I use the same OD path but would end up 100 or 200 points lower than my high score all with different note streaks every time. I must have been doing it accidentally because I just learned about squeezing today. I've heard about it before but never actually read up on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: KEFIOX
BFI  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 23775 before the fill, after trying to hit a green and bass squeeze (many times) I got 23975, I thought it was either ignoring a note or only giving *4 for both.

Then i tried hitting them all seperate... crash, green, bass, I got 234175.

Maybe its more reliable to hit the phantom notes seperate?
laconic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kick pedal is more likely activating sooner than you think it is. I know my stock pedal activates before its all the way down. I usually match the sound of it hitting to the sound in game, but for squeezes I have to intentionally hit it just a bit later than expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: