FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Full Band Overdrive Pathing 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meister  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raunch99 wrote:
Fedora wrote:
meister wrote:
are there any images with the spots vocals can activate? I don't really want to play the songs to find out, that would take way longer

Sometimes they're posted in the OD sections, but I recommend just watching the youtubes.

You can try to find videos, but really you need one where they never activate OD so you can see all the potential activation spots, you aren't likely to find those on youtube.

I mean it really doesn't take that long to play the song and find the activation spots. You only have to sing it once assuming you can get the first 2 OD phrases. I sing on easy cause I suck horribly. I take a video and refer back to it, but you could just pause between notes and make note of it on a chart somewhere. Really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

thanks, I did that, I guess since I don't make paths fast anyway playing the song first doesn't matter

so two hours after I decided to path welcome home I was all finished... is that an okay time for making a path? or am I slow? eh... the good news is I ended up with the vocalist using the same path as single player, and I hadn't checked the forum for that path! Drive Shaft will get over 3 million points with it

dogfoodnyc wrote:
Wow, you guys got Meister?! I am expecting this group to hit the top
RB3 Bass FGFC! 1st x-plat
My RB Thread- | Renegades of Funk Accomplishment Thread|Twitter|My YouTube channel Please subscribe!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MeisterSH PSN Name: justindeboer
raunch99  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours is about what I average on a song when I compute all the values. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on song length and how well activations line up. I have 'eyeballed' a few songs, without computing all the band measure values. That takes about a half hour or so, but its harder to tell if your path is optimal or not.

We actually did not path Welcome Home when we scored 3 mil, we just kind of stumbled on a good path after a few restarts. Good luck to you and your band sir.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question! If a vocal phrase lasts 3 measures but they don't sing until the 2nd measure do you count it as a 2 meeasure phrase?

also, if a phrase is 3 measures long, and there is singing in oh, the first half of the first measure, the second half of the second measure and all of the last measure how would that work? all getting ~333 points or 667 in the 3rd and ~167 points each in the 1st 2?

dogfoodnyc wrote:
My RB Thread- | Renegades of Funk Accomplishment Thread|Twitter|My YouTube channel Please subscribe!

Last edited by meister on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MeisterSH PSN Name: justindeboer
batsmak  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be considered a 2 measure phrase, cuz the points only are counted during the singing.
meister  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, and I added another part to that post, I didn't think I would get such a quick reply

dogfoodnyc wrote:
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will definetly read this some time and try to comprehend it and try it out.

Once i do that, now i would need is a band to try it with XD

EDIT: The link for Ajanta's chart doesnt work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind, I'm assuming the amount of points per measure is if you added the lines together ho much of the line is in each measure gives the points

dogfoodnyc wrote:
raunch99  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm not really sure how the scoring exactly works out when you have 'dead spots' in the middle of the phrase. I would guess that you don't score any points there, but I don't really know. Generally I don't worry about cases like that and just do what's easiest. I think most of the time is doesn't really affect the path. You'd really only be concerned about it if an activation was starting or ending on one of these 'tricky phrases'. But really you're only talking about a couple hundred base points here or there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I made a path for Brainpower, but this is my first time pathing anything, so I wanted to know if I did any good or not.

It can be viewed here.

I know I do not have the vocal part charted. This is because the activations are set in stone. To provide any real help from the vocal activations (without ending up with a quarter bar left over), they need to be at measure 50 and measure 82. The first activation will last till somewhere between measures 58-59, and the second activation ends at about measures 85-86.

Thanks for the criticism

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: The Skeltonath
rabies  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skel:

It would be very helpful if you put in a legend for colors...it took me a minute or so to decipher what color was what.

That being said...I LOVE the look of this chart. I would like to know what you used/what you did to make those glassy looking fills. Especially the blue, green and red ones (the yellow ones don't look at good).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it looks like I won't be having a bad session in a while... so I can share my welcome home path if anyone wants it I guess... just be sure to credit me if you use it! haha, btw, it's in picture form, I don't have a computer so I had someone else make the chart, and they only had paint so just outlined things with colored boxes

edit:

Welcome Home

note the 2nd activation is all messed up for everything but vocals, drums end one meaaure earlier than shown, guitar and bass should both activate at measure 48
and 1st bass activation should be at 17 3/4 measures
key:pink- unison bonus
yellow- individual OD phrases
green- drum fills and vocal activation areas
blue- activations

not exactly how I would have made it but good enough for now

opinions on the path?

Last edited by meister on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:41 pm; edited 7 times in total
Fedora  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When charting the vox, you do indeed need to remove "dead space" before figuring out how many beats a phrase is. (I also take out any mid-phrase pause that is half a beat or longer.) Remember though, that there are tricks that can make it easier.

Does it have exactly as much in measure 1 as measure 2? (Ex: "Oh here it Goes! Oh Here it Goes!) Then both measures get 500 points. Easy!

Generally, I use light grey construction lines on the full band paths to determine the vox values. Here's an example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/TheNintendoKid/Rock%20Band/hereitgoesagain_band_voxvalues.png

Note: I tend to estimate to the nearest half-beat, quarter beats when absolutely necessary. Remember that this is not an exact science, and there are small spaces between words. Being within 50 pts. per phrase is probably good enough. Also, when I find patterns early in the song that repeat, I just punch in the numbers later. (i.e. the 2.75 beat phrase becoming 909 and 91). Also, in 83 and 84, I noticed 83 is almost the same as 84 but just a little more, so I took a shortcut and split it evenly (500 each) then gave a 25 point shift to measure 83 (making it 83/84).

Just some tips I thought I'd share after charting 5 or 6 song for vox values.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, quick PS -

If a talkie word is part of a longer phrase, I ignore it (if it's just one word.)

If it is its own phrase ("alright!" in Here it Goes Again), don't forget to throw in the 1000 in that measure.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
skeltonath  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
Skel:

It would be very helpful if you put in a legend for colors...it took me a minute or so to decipher what color was what.

That being said...I LOVE the look of this chart. I would like to know what you used/what you did to make those glassy looking fills. Especially the blue, green and red ones (the yellow ones don't look at good).

Yeah, sorry 'bout the absence of a legend. I forgot to put one in
I used Adobe ImageReady. It has a simple rectangle tool that has pretty cool effects on it. The yellow one does look iffy. It looked better when the opacity was higher.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: The Skeltonath
batsmak  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meister wrote:
well it looks like I won't be having a bad session in a while... so I can share my welcome home path if anyone wants it I guess... just be sure to credit me if you use it! haha, btw, it's in picture form, I don't have a computer so I had someone else make the chart, and they only had paint so just outlined things with colored boxes

edit:

Welcome Home

note the 2nd activation is all messed up for everything but vocals, drums end one meaaure earlier than shown, guitar and bass should both activate at measure 48
and 1st bass activation should be at 17 3/4 measures
key:pink- unison bonus
yellow- individual OD phrases
green- drum fills and vocal activation areas
blue- activations

not exactly how I would have made it but good enough for now

opinions on the path?

ok, that one is similar, but not the same as mine. I'll be nice and reveal mine here.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3193/welcomehomebandexpertid5.png

key:

yellow = OD phrase
sky blue = unison bonus
dark green = drum fill
purple = vox activation
orange = guitar activation
blue = bass activation
light green = drum activation

If raunch could compare and calculate which is better, that would be appreciated.

I also noticed that you have a fill (the last one) in a different spot than I do. it doesn't really make a difference, but if someone can verify which one is correct, that would be nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: