FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Using Freestyle Vocals for ESFs and Squeezing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elcanadiano  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Using Freestyle Vocals for ESFs and Squeezing Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2pFv2xwx4

I recently did a stream where I did a demonstration of using Freestyle Vocals. I've been testing this feature and I have a high amount of confidence that it has made ESFs much, much easier for me (as a non-vibrato player) and has helped me get a few extra hundred points per squeeze (when applicable).

Some feedback about the video (which is a highlight) is appreciated and questions are welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: elcanadiano Wii Friend Code: 449615517562
IvoryDoll  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the video, it was very helpful to understand the ESF.
I am a Xbox GamerchiX, basically an average all American girl with a gun and a microphone. Love to play Rock Band expert vocalist and all kinds of shooters. Send me a game invite if you would like to play - IvoryDoll
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: IvoryDoll
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've witnessed this as well and used it for a couple scores. This is effectively game breaking for vocals. Seems like score chasing on this game is pointless. I've gone to brutal mode for vox score chasing since you can't use freestyle on it but no one else seems to play it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
elcanadiano  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucasPWNS8907 wrote:
I've witnessed this as well and used it for a couple scores. This is effectively game breaking for vocals. Seems like score chasing on this game is pointless. I've gone to brutal mode for vox score chasing since you can't use freestyle on it but no one else seems to play it.

With Rivals, I think Brutal scorechasing might have some competition because there's actually some incentive to play brutal. I kind of like the extra incentive.

For FSV specifically though, I think that it does help a lot of non-Tier A/Tier S scorechasers get to a higher level, but I still know a lot of people who prefer to vibrato. I guess it depends on the person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: elcanadiano Wii Friend Code: 449615517562
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucasPWNS8907 wrote:

It helps with a few ESFs, but it's hardly game-breaking. It's just another method for getting the pie to fill faster than it normally would, just like vibrato.

I have used both methods, and neither seems more advantageous than the other. Comes down to personal preference, imo. Some phrases feel more responsive to vibrato than others, so use the tool that fits the situation.

As for Brutal mode and its competitiveness, I'm not totally sure why it isn't more competitive. I suppose it would help if HMX actually had a leaderboard for total RB4 on disc brutal score per instrument. I know I'm much more motivated to put up scores on expert since I can track my RB4 on disc score easily on the in game leaderboard.
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
LucasPWNS8907 wrote:

It helps with a few ESFs, but it's hardly game-breaking. It's just another method for getting the pie to fill faster than it normally would, just like vibrato.

I have used both methods, and neither seems more advantageous than the other. Comes down to personal preference, imo. Some phrases feel more responsive to vibrato than others, so use the tool that fits the situation.

As for Brutal mode and its competitiveness, I'm not totally sure why it isn't more competitive. I suppose it would help if HMX actually had a leaderboard for total RB4 on disc brutal score per instrument. I know I'm much more motivated to put up scores on expert since I can track my RB4 on disc score easily on the in game leaderboard.

I find freestyle vocals to be game breaking because it's rewarding you for singing badly. The idea of singing is to match pitches and when you enable freestyle, you can have up to four different choices for what to sing. Not only do you not get penalized for choosing to sing off pitch, but according to elcanadiano, you also get rewarded with a faster filling "pie". If that's not completely backwards, I don't know what is. Freestyle becomes more game breaking for score chasers too. Instead of requiring the skill to switch pitches for every changing syllable, one can now just sustain a single note throughout a chord to gain an equal number of points.

RB3's odd mechanics I would also consider game breaking. Between vibrato and the entirety of end squeezing, it made vocals kind of a joke. The inclusion of RB4's freestyle vocals is just a further deviation from any semblance of a legitimate competitive environment. To be the best vocalist in RB4, one simply needs to enable freestyle vocals and go crazy vibratoing along to a single pitch per chord. Regular squeezes and end squeezes are much easier when you don't have to modulate your pitch.

If HMX desperately wants to keep freestyle vocals in the game, it really should be its own mode or penalize your score in some way. Like with guitar or drums, for example, the freestyle scores less than actually performing the authored solos/fills. Drums are a little more of a mixed bag though with the freestyle fills because they vary in point value (which is another problem on its own).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucasPWNS8907 wrote:
IndestructibleSD wrote:
LucasPWNS8907 wrote:

I find freestyle vocals to be game breaking because it's rewarding you for singing badly. The idea of singing is to match pitches and when you enable freestyle, you can have up to four different choices for what to sing. Not only do you not get penalized for choosing to sing off pitch, but according to elcanadiano, you also get rewarded with a faster filling "pie". If that's not completely backwards, I don't know what is. Freestyle becomes more game breaking for score chasers too. Instead of requiring the skill to switch pitches for every changing syllable, one can now just sustain a single note throughout a chord to gain an equal number of points.

RB3's odd mechanics I would also consider game breaking. Between vibrato and the entirety of end squeezing, it made vocals kind of a joke. The inclusion of RB4's freestyle vocals is just a further deviation from any semblance of a legitimate competitive environment. To be the best vocalist in RB4, one simply needs to enable freestyle vocals and go crazy vibratoing along to a single pitch per chord. Regular squeezes and end squeezes are much easier when you don't have to modulate your pitch.

If HMX desperately wants to keep freestyle vocals in the game, it really should be its own mode or penalize your score in some way. Like with guitar or drums, for example, the freestyle scores less than actually performing the authored solos/fills. Drums are a little more of a mixed bag though with the freestyle fills because they vary in point value (which is another problem on its own).

I think the ESF and the techniques used to hit them has added competitive nuance to vocal squeezing, so to each his own. I initially hated when it was introduced because I was terrible at it, and it ultimately led to me not score-chasing for years.

Anyone can follow the main pitches on the screen, that's pretty much a given at the score-chasing tier of vocals. FSV adds variety to what the singer can input, and labeling it as "singing badly" when it musically sounds fine is a matter of opinion. Many phrases can't simply be sung by holding a single FSV pitch all the way through --- the lines on the vocal track which represent the eligible FSV notes are constantly changing, including mid phrase. It can be harder to hit certain phrases with FSV, and I'm all for introducing more challenging ways to sing the same songs, especially when I'm playing it for the 75th time while score-chasing.

The variety of techniques required to post high scores in vocals now is a major reason why there are such large gaps in RB4 on-disc scores, even at the top of the leaderboards. These gaps are not better paths that aren't public (although that does happen on occasion), it's mostly about who can hit the ESFs and who can't. RB1/RB2 era vocals was a much easier system to master, and led to much closer career scores across the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: