FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tangled Up in Blue help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expertwin  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Tangled Up in Blue help Reply with quote

I am trying to go for an expert vox FC of Tangled Up in Blue, and I'm having a serious problem with the phrase "I was standing on the side of the road rain fallin' down my shoe." The problem is that "road" and "rain" are so high on the highway that I can't hit "fallin' down my shoe". Can I get any tips as to how to hit that

This is a very difficult song to FC on vox and I understand that there are many, many more difficult phrases (and apparently the first verse is the "easiest" part), so I will update if and undoubtedly when I have more trouble.
2015/09/20 The date I became Free Bird #200

@ataeaf=My Twitter. RB Accomps. GH Accomps. Nobody reads them.
voidedalive2x wrote:
of COURSE it's doable, you ninny! Don't you cop out on me now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: WorthBestGamer
CaptCalamity  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is no magic response, but when I'm stuck like that, I just isolate it in practice mode and repeat it until I hit it, then try it for a score. If you're lucky, the place that gives you problems is not at the end of a phrase that can be isolated, so you can just keep hitting restart when you mess it up.

Sometimes, I listen to just the recording itself. Rarely, a song is charted differently than the actual recording, and you have do it the way the charting wants. I don't know if that's helpful or not, but that's the way I do it. I don't think there's a really easy answer except for repetition.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intonation in Tangled can be a bit irrational at times. I get hell for it, but I'm far from being a fan of Dylan's musicality.

Put it on heavy rotation for a few days and listen to the pitch guide until you 100% it without even thinking. I remember sightreading this part and thinking "why not just make this a talkie?.

This requires some good pitch control, and taking the phrase up (or down) an octave may help. I'd also recommend avoiding falsetto like the plague, and using a bit of vibrato if it's not the norm for you. This advice worked for a friend, and hopefully for you.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avree wrote:
The intonation in Tangled can be a bit irrational at times. I get hell for it, but I'm far from being a fan of Dylan's musicality.

Put it on heavy rotation for a few days and listen to the pitch guide until you 100% it without even thinking. I remember sightreading this part and thinking "why not just make this a talkie?.

This requires some good pitch control, and taking the phrase up (or down) an octave may help. I'd also recommend avoiding falsetto like the plague, and using a bit of vibrato if it's not the norm for you. This advice worked for a friend, and hopefully for you.
All of Bob Dylan's songs should be entirely talkies IMO. Any time any pitch is out of your range, taking it up or down an octave is the answer.

Sometimes even if it's technically in range, manipulating an octave can make notes much easier to combo. For example if the second note is just a step short of being an octave down, instead of going down to hit the low note instead sing one step higher than the previous note and you will be singing exactly one octave above the intended note, which is still correct. I use that all the time on songs that jump around too much and/or have wildly varying pitches in a relatively short space in the phrase.

I do have the FC on this song, but I did it 4 years ago and (for good reason) haven't touched it since. I'll try it later today and see if I have any advice for that particular phrase.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played through that phrase, that's a pretty easy one comparative to the rest of the song actually..my only advice is since the rest of the phrase is also still pretty high, drop the whole thing down an octave. If you haven't already you should practice the rest of the song too cause there are a lot of phrases a lot harder than that one.

Played through the rest of the song just for fun, missed 3, 1 of em just barely and one that just kills me. Its the first "tangled up in blue" after the phrase you were talking about. I think Bob had a seizure when he recorded it.
avree  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a good idea to plug in a second microphone, which seems to help with octave shifts from the vocalist. It's possible this is just a placebo effect, or that it's helping avoid some sort of feedback loop. I really turn my headset up on songs like this.

singemfrc wrote:
Just played through that phrase, that's a pretty easy one comparative to the rest of the song actually..my only advice is since the rest of the phrase is also still pretty high, drop the whole thing down an octave. If you haven't already you should practice the rest of the song too cause there are a lot of phrases a lot harder than that one.

Played through the rest of the song just for fun, missed 3, 1 of em just barely and one that just kills me. Its the first "tangled up in blue" after the phrase you were talking about. I think Bob had a seizure when he recorded it.

This made my day. I don't have to sing this through again, but can definitely agree on all points. Particularly the seizure - although that may be a bit charitable.

Barring that, you can have your own seizure and see how you do. I'd recommend this version, in case there's bonus points for having an aneurysm too: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: