FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Too late for drumming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellyalv  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Too late for drumming? Reply with quote

So I want to try drums again, even after a long time this GH/RB thing ended. I had a GHWT drum kit back in the day, but as everyone knows, it sucks.

I'm thinking on buying the famous Ion Drum Kit, but it's hard and expensive to find around here. People suggested me the RB stock kit, but is there a difference between the white pad and black pad one? Also, is the stock pedal reliable and easy to use? I was thinking on buying an electronic bass and using a real pedal. What adapter should I use?

Last question, they also suggested me buying a cheap electronic drums kit and adapting it to play. So what may be the best set up?

So guys, is it too late to restart drumming? Thank you very much.

jellyGHThread|jellyRBThread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jellyalv
Max007mxm  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, but I want to buy a electronic drum kit and use the midi adapter my question: ¿which set recommend to buy? i see almost all who use electronic kits buy roland td 6 but i can't find it new so im searching for an alternative that works like the roland td 6, i want to use with the 2x bass pedal and pro mode... i think with this got the idea what i want to buy (already have midi adapter).

Sorry for use your post to put this but i think is better to have al related replys in one post.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very happy with my TD-9 but it's not exactly a cheap option. But I doubt there's a more fun way to play than pro drums with hi-hat pedal support.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white/grey pad kits are RB1, the black are RB2 or later. Post-RB2 kits benefit from the experience from the various failure points of the RB1 kit.

Should you look at RB1 kits, you'll need to check the serial number to make sure it's (I'm pretty sure this is right at least) an EL kit, the other model is awful.

RB2 kits are a safer bet since they're newer and based on more advanced knowledge than the originals. They also have cymbal ports and a second bass pedal port (only functions as a second bass pedal in RB3).

As for the stock pedals, my left pedal is a RB1 pedal I've had for over five years. The right one is a RB2 pedal that I got with the RB2 kit I recently acquired. (RB2 kits added metal reinforcement to the pedal, making RB2 pedals a safer bet in terms of stock pedals.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapness = How cheap it is.
Reliability = How durable it is. Does it break physically?
Playability = How easy is it to play? Does it drop notes? Does it double hit? Crosstalk? Hows the rebound? Everything like that.

Drumsets

RB1 (greyish pads):
This is probably the cheapest option available to you. These pads are good if you aren't looking to play seriously and don't mind dropping every 4th note or setting off another pad when you hit another (crosstalk). The sensors are not sensitive at all, and anything remotely fast will not register. This can be improved with cheap, easy Mods (sock mod, penny mod) if you get the right model, but it still lacks consistency. They are also not very reliable. They break, a lot. I went through 8. The pads crack in half underneath the hard rubber/plastic, the sensors stop working and all other sorts of fun things. The rebound also sucks due to the hard surface you hit. There is no cymbal ports.
Cheapness: 10/10
Reliability: 3/10
Playability: 1/10 (4/10 with mods)
Expansion: 0/10

RB2 (black pads, white pads with black dots):
These are still pretty cheap, and they are surprisingly not bad overall. They don't drop as many notes (the problem is still there, though), but they do crosstalk quite a bit. Mods are still possible here, but really sort of unnecessary. It is not easy either, the pads are glued down this time. The pads break down after a while and start to bubble, which can be temp fixed, but it still is an issue. The sensors also start to give after a while and may need replacing. The pads also still suffer from cracks, although less so than the RB1 kit. They improved rebound this time with a softer pad. They also have a cymbal port for expansion.
Cheapness: 9/10
Reliability: 4/10
Playability: 6/10
Expansion: 5/10

ION Drum Rocker
This is the best playability you are going to get for anything remotely cheap. The pads are made of rubber for excellent bounce, and the sensors are VERY good. They very rarely drop notes unless old. You can add things to the kit to make this better as well. I will cover these things in the accessories section. The pads, if hit at an angle, will wear out sooner or later, and they aren't that cheap to replace. Hit them right and they will last forever. Crosstalk can be a minor issue, but the pads can be moved to alleviate the issue. Up to 3 cymbals can be added. Other than pads wearing down, there is no breaking this thing. The frame is metal (although its a piece of shit to put together).
Cheapness: 4/10
Reliability: 8/10
Playability: 9/10
Expansion: 8/10

E-kit
I have not played with one of these. I imagine this is the best playability you can get though. If you get a good one, you will rarely get dropped notes, and they have a really good wear factor. And a nice Mesh snare head is the best thing ever invented for playing on. You can expand these to whatever your liking! Double bass without need for an adapter, cymbal ports everywhere, this is the king of drums, except for the astronomical cost for a good one. If you get a cheap one, you are basically buying an ION for more money. I also don't know how easy or hard it is to hook up to Rock Band. Probably not hard.
Cheapness: -1/10
Reliability: 9/10
Playability: 10/10
Expansion: 10/10

Foot Pedals

RB1:
This thing is a piece of shit, avoid at all costs. Cheap, and for a reason. Will snap in half quickly. Made of plastic. Blah. It bounces back good though for quick hits if you manage not to snap it in half. I went through 18 of these.
Cheapness: 10/10
Reliability: 0/10
Playability: 7/10 (0/10 when broken)

RB2:
A better option. Reinforced with metal on the actual pedal part, but will still crack in half at the base of the pedal. Will last longer if you go easy on it. If you stomp, also avoid. The metal can crack as well. I went though 6 of these. Still wonderful when working though.
Cheapness: 8/10
Reliability: 4/10
Playability: 7/10 (1/10 when broken)

Destroyer:
Not even sure if you can buy these anymore. But they are a pretty good pedal. Quick hits aren't a problem and they are an actual pedal, so they wont break unless the magnet on them goes. Which mine does. A lot. Could be improved on, but I don't think they are around anymore.
Cheapness: 3/10
Reliability: 7/10
Playability: 8/10

Roadie U:
I broke this one too. I snapped the metal tab off while playing This Calling. I FCed it that run. Good pedal for the money, but isn't as good for quick stuff. Comes with ION.
Cheapness: 5/10
Reliability: 6/10
Playability: 6/10

Real Pedal hooked up to fancy bass module (This includes Destroyer D and Roadie Kickbox):
The most real option. Won't break, but can also be troublesome with the pendulum effect if you are used to other pedals. Most expensive option as well.
Cheapness: 2/10
Reliability: 9/10
Playability: 8/10

Accessories that I have played with

Twin Rocker
This is for double bass. Mine had trouble with quick hits and was never very reliable.

ION Double bass adapter
Mine works perfectly when the batteries are good. Can handle as fast as my feet will go.

Mylar Pad for ION
The sensor is better than the stock IONs, but the pad is noisy as hell.

Mesh Head for ION kit
These are awesome. Quiet, good rebound, and can be attached to the aforementioned noisy as hell Mylar pads for extra awesome.

ION Cymbals
Double hit a lot. Only use for fun unless you need a quick replacement for a green pad to FC Prequel to the Sequel.

That's all I got. I'm sure someone else has different opinions and can give you more insight to different accessories I never bought. But I've been around for a while, and this is my best assessment of the available options. If you have any questions, let me know
I don't know about you guys, but I as a player of video games - and therefore a musician - am certainly enamoured of the prospect of, next time I begin to play Horrible Night, sitting down with a wide grin on my face as I rub my hands together in glee and shout out to the world "I know your secret! You're in a deceptive time signature!" before failing to hit any notes at all because the song is still balls-out hard.

My Youtube! My Youtube for GD:RB! My Twitter!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: S4VN01
Max007mxm  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S4VN01 wrote:

That's all I got. I'm sure someone else has different opinions and can give you more insight to different accessories I never bought. But I've been around for a while, and this is my best assessment of the available options. If you have any questions, let me know

I have one, where i can buy the ions?? xD I search in the official page of ion drums but apperently they don't have the whole set (premium with cymbals and 2xbass pedal) or maybe they stop build/selling or you know if every e-kit has the midi port (to use midi adapter)??

Sorry for my english, but isn't my primary language xD and thanks for your answer
raynebc  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really that rare on ebay. A quick look through recently ended auctions shows a lot of people got reasonable deals on them too.
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add that I don't experience overhits on the ION cymbals. I may have when I first got them, though. There's a lot of physical adjustment you can do -- it could be that in certain configurations they tend to overhit and in others they don't. (There's no direct sensitivity adjustment.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: