FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The First Try Phenomenon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazegeek999PSN  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: The First Try Phenomenon Reply with quote

So I've experienced this "first try" phenomenon for a while now, where I usually do better (sometimes much better) than average on a song for the first try of a day. Not a sightread, but when I know the chart, I seem to do better on it the first try then the second run and runs after. It makes me think what actually makes my first runs better and how I can apply those accidental techniques to my non-first-try runs to make them better. Does this happen to you guys? I guess this can apply to any instrument but since I do keys I put it in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely because you have less stress or expectation on your first go at something. At least in my experience, stress and overthinking things can lead to lower success rates.

I'd think it's pretty common outside of stupid insane stuff, where the odds of hitting it at all require warmups and tons of practice.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for stamina based songs, doing better on the first try is not only common, but expected

this is probably more common on drums and guitar/bass (strumming songs like Thrasher), than keys

normally, i do much better after playing a song a few times in a row though

i'm much better with muscle memory and practice. nerves aren't as big of an issue for me most of the time

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
I know for stamina based songs, doing better on the first try is not only common, but expected

this is probably more common on drums and guitar/bass (strumming songs like Thrasher), than keys

I dunno, I only FCed the strumming songs I have by going for hours on them. Thrasher bass was about two to three hours straight, and I suck at TWIE unless I've spent a while playing it.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
It's likely because you have less stress or expectation on your first go at something. At least in my experience, stress and overthinking things can lead to lower success rates.

That was one of the theories that I had. It might be overthinking it, not sure.

@megallica: I'm not talking about physical capability (stamina etc.); I'm talking about mental capability. I think physical capability applies here also, but in a different way, like if your hands get tired after 30 minutes or something.

I think that it might have to do with "zoning out" during a song, kind of like you said inv4der. There should be a way to figure out how exactly to consistently do that though, which can lead to higher success rates on songs.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: The First Try Phenomenon Reply with quote

mazegeek999PSN wrote:
So I've experienced this "first try" phenomenon for a while now, where I usually do better (sometimes much better) than average on a song for the first try of a day. Not a sightread, but when I know the chart, I seem to do better on it the first try then the second run and runs after.

This happens for me sometimes, for certain charts, but I think often ones requiring more chops. Like with Seven Seas of Rhye I often found my first run of the day was the highest percentage-wise (others might be higher for score).

But lately, for me it's more the other way around, I steadily improve with each run as I iron out parts that I missed in earlier runs. I guess if you know a chart super-well and there's no little parts to iron out, it might be more like you say.

I can also see it being the case if there's a part or two in songs that frustrate you and when you miss it once you tend to keep missing it. Then when you come back to the chart later you hit it.
mazegeek999PSN  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: The First Try Phenomenon Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
But lately, for me it's more the other way around, I steadily improve with each run as I iron out parts that I missed in earlier runs. I guess if you know a chart super-well and there's no little parts to iron out, it might be more like you say.

Yeah this usually happens with me when I try to FC a song. When it comes to songs that I'm learning or plain impossible songs I seem to do better at it each time. For me, it's just with the songs that I'm able to FC.

blingdomepiece wrote:
I can also see it being the case if there's a part or two in songs that frustrate you and when you miss it once you tend to keep missing it. Then when you come back to the chart later you hit it.

Yeah same here.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have a little story to share with this phenomenon.

I choked I Want It All this morning, first try, no restarts, AFTER THE BRIDGE (on that glissando before the last chorus). Basically, I should have FCed but those glissandos can be tough. But yeah I don't know how that happened.

Then, I came home after school, FCed second time up to the bridge. I don't get it, but this first try thing sure works!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've had a similar phenomenon with Blitz, specifically on Pinball runs. First run, I get a 200K+ pinball or 2 almost every time if it's my first time playing the song for the day. I don't know what it is, but I have some different kind of focus, it's really weird and hard to duplicate.

zage1337, in my accomplishments thread wrote:
Ever since I started Blitz I played the silver ball
From Thrasher down to One Vision, I've must've played them all
but you aint seen nothing like him in any song at all
that malkieriking SURE PLAYS A MEAN PINBALL
mazegeek999PSN  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malkieriking wrote:
I know I've had a similar phenomenon with Blitz, specifically on Pinball runs. First run, I get a 200K+ pinball or 2 almost every time if it's my first time playing the song for the day. I don't know what it is, but I have some different kind of focus, it's really weird and hard to duplicate.

Yeah it's very weird, and I'm still trying to figure out methods myself to duplicate that.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malkieriking wrote:
I know I've had a similar phenomenon with Blitz, specifically on Pinball runs.

Yeah this happens with me too. I'll play a song for the first time of the day and get a surprisingly high score. After that, I'll get a lower score usually about 20-40k, then I'll start getting frustrated and my scores keep going down until I get another surprise run. Then it repeats until I do another song. This also happens sometimes on instruments too.
emsegs  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me a lot on normal keys (I suck at pro keys).

[
jawnintendo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I live, breath, and eat on for Pro Keys. /overreaction

SERIOUSLY, I always deteriorate the more I play a song, until I hit like my 50th try, then I finally get 5*/GS/FC, whatever I happen to be going for. Otherwise, I get it first or second try.

In the event of a code red, please do not orgasm over an accomplishment of an elite player. That is because the player is currently in the zone. You will run of out of jizz before he is finished.
Thank you for listening and please save all orgasms for the end of the ride.

Accomplishments | 17/82 Pro Guitar FCs | 70/83 Pro Bass FCs | 55/63 Pro Keys FCs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jawnintendo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: