FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Voxtar Technique, with *VIDEO GUIDES* by sentimentalgeek!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk if its been said (and im not an expert on voxtar either) but wouldnt it be good to practice speaking while playing JUST the guitar track, with no vocal line at all?

also, wouldnt just practicing the vocals till you can say them well, be alot easier? I know it might contradict my earlier statement, but that way you only have to look at one track 90-99% of the time, rather than 70%? (i cant say 100% because you are bound to mess up sometime by doing this).

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
nillacocajola  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 this guide so much.

I've yet to see anyone mention this, but... If you're using a grounded mic stand of any kind and you're a high sensitivity Vocals player (I use max sensitivity most of the time so I won't have to 'lean in' to the microphone), you can tap your foot on the mic stand to hit taps.

Since I'm playing with a metal mic stand on a hardwood floor and usually wear shoes, this works rather well - you don't have to deal with the possibility of your controller slipping out from under your feet or the likelihood of passing out from shortness of breath.

While this situation may seem a bit particular, I have tested this with metal and plastic mic stands, as well as on hardwood and carpeted floors. If you don't wear shoes while playing, however, it does become a bit more troublesome. Anyway, it's worth a shot.

Also, are there any videos for explaining voxtar squeezing? It took me a long time to catch on, so I thought it might be helpful for someone to make a video explaining the process. I wouldn't mind doing one myself, but if there's all ready material out there for it or if someone more familiar with it than myself were to make a video, that'd be awesome too.

And thank you again, socialskills and sentimentalgeek, for your hard work on this. Without the two of you, I have a feeling we would have at least a few more hopeless, would-be voxtarists out there dedicating their life to one instrument. You have SAVED multi-tasking.

*Blows things out of proportion*
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: nillacocajola
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the overwhelmingly appreciative post! Honestly socialskills did all the work - I just made a couple videos and they happened to fit with what he was looking for, so he linked to them. But it's so nice to know that other people find the guide helpful!

nillacocajola wrote:
If you're using a grounded mic stand of any kind and you're a high sensitivity Vocals player (I use max sensitivity most of the time so I won't have to 'lean in' to the microphone), you can tap your foot on the mic stand to hit taps.

This is *extremely* helpful! I do have a mic stand now and I need to give this try sometime while voxtarring. Yeah, during long tambourine sections like the ending of Don't Fear The Reaper, boy do I start to get tired of making "tuh" sounds fast, haha. I haven't gotten around to voxtarring all the RB2 songs but there are some even longer tambourine sections in that setlist for sure. It'll be waaaay easier tapping my feet than trying to input the taps vocally.)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
socialskills  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
idk if its been said (and im not an expert on voxtar either) but wouldnt it be good to practice speaking while playing JUST the guitar track, with no vocal line at all?

Can't hurt. I did this a lot while playing GH2, and that's probably the main reason that I jumped right into voxtar when RB came out. I don't know how much it helped me- as I mentioned in the guide, previous experience helped me more than anything, so I'm not always the best judge of things that can help start someone off as a voxtarist.

voidedalive2x wrote:
also, wouldnt just practicing the vocals till you can say them well, be alot easier? I know it might contradict my earlier statement, but that way you only have to look at one track 90-99% of the time, rather than 70%? (i cant say 100% because you are bound to mess up sometime by doing this).

This is very similar to another reply that basically boiled down to "just memorize the singing parts," if I'm reading you correctly. My response to that is that, yes, total memorization is probably the best way to go (contrary to what I wrote in the guide, I almost never look at vocal tracks nowadays; I just listen for the changes, and this came mostly about from my doing a lot more sightreading nowadays), but the guide is written mainly from the perspective of someone who hasn't gone through either the guitar or vocals tour fully or hasn't become an expert at both. I later amended my initial statement to place a bit of emphasis on becoming proficient at vocals first, so I would say that your suggestion- again, if I'm reading it right- is spot on.

nillacocajola wrote:
I <3 this guide so much.

And it loves you.

nillacocajola wrote:
If you're using a grounded mic stand of any kind and you're a high sensitivity Vocals player (I use max sensitivity most of the time so I won't have to 'lean in' to the microphone), you can tap your foot on the mic stand to hit taps.

No, nobody's mentioned it, and I've never thought of it, and quite frankly, it's genius. I'm putting in the guide, whether you like it or not

nillacocajola wrote:
Also, are there any videos for explaining voxtar squeezing? It took me a long time to catch on, so I thought it might be helpful for someone to make a video explaining the process.

This is another genius idea. I forgot how hard it was for me to also understand the concept (even when I added it into the guide I didn't fully understand it, and then it just hit me one day), so it never occurred to me to explain things better. I keep promising people like SG that I'm going to make a video, so this may be the one that gets me started off. However, that doesn't stop anyone else from submitting a video about it... *hint hint*

nillacocajola wrote:
And thank you again, socialskills and sentimentalgeek, for your hard work on this. Without the two of you, I have a feeling we would have at least a few more hopeless, would-be voxtarists out there dedicating their life to one instrument. You have SAVED multi-tasking.

*Blows things out of proportion*

I can't tell you how gratifying it is to have been useful to even one person- much less one who appears to be becoming as dominant a multitasking force as yourself- by having written this guide. I think at this point, with all of the additional knowledge we've collectively gained about multitasking, a much better guide can be written, so I'll cross my fingers for someone to come out of the woodwork with that. And huzzah to you, sir, for including SG's name in your thanks, as her videos are INDISPENSABLE to this guide. Don't let her modesty fool you.
- All 3,255 RB1 BWT stars collected (solo, voxtar, expert)

Voxtar guide.
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

socialskills wrote:
This is very similar to another reply that basically boiled down to "just memorize the singing parts," if I'm reading you correctly. My response to that is that, yes, total memorization is probably the best way to go (contrary to what I wrote in the guide, I almost never look at vocal tracks nowadays; I just listen for the changes, and this came mostly about from my doing a lot more sightreading nowadays), but the guide is written mainly from the perspective of someone who hasn't gone through either the guitar or vocals tour fully or hasn't become an expert at both. I later amended my initial statement to place a bit of emphasis on becoming proficient at vocals first, so I would say that your suggestion- again, if I'm reading it right- is spot on.

ok, so you wrote the right thing, what i meant by that statment was...oh crap i forgot what i meant!!! I HATE IT when my memory decides to go crapadoodle on me!!!

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
lilo95  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding Voxtar incredibly difficult. But On the songs I know its easy as cake!! I just concentrate on the guitar and sing along!! (I sometimes do that anyway!!) All I have to do now is make sure I'm not flat!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, my apologies for the zombie resurrection. This thread's just so cool for cats that I just had to post. Thank you.

Second, this guide rocks my figurative socks, and then some. I (jokingly) tried voxtar on RB2 last week and it just kills me to see my GHWT Band career sitting at 0%. Besides, it'll breathe a bit o' life into things (since I can't afford to buy a drum controller for the next three millenia).

Anyway. My thanks once again. :-)
socialskills  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkl890 wrote:
This thread's just so cool for cats that I just had to post. Thank you.

jkl890 wrote:
Second, this guide rocks my figurative socks, and then some.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I just wanted to thank you for your kind words about the guide!

Isn't it funny that no matter how many multiplayer modes designers come up with, lo(n/s)ers like us will try to play alone? :P

Hey, so you mentioned playing your GHWT band career as a multitasker... let me know how that works out! I still haven't gotten a chance to play GHWT, and I'm curious about whether the ideas in this guide apply there. I would imagine they would, but you never know.

Again, the compliments are much appreciated. Thanks!
- All 3,255 RB1 BWT stars collected (solo, voxtar, expert)

Voxtar guide.
ES942  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a little overdue on this, but this guide has helped me a lot and I wanted to throw in a couple trends that I noticed trying to revitalize my old "skills" for this.

The trend for my vocal stylings while I'm playing guitar is not so much trouble with pitch, but trouble with holding notes as long as I should be. I'm one who focuses almost solely on the guitar part while spending time memorizing the vocal track. You have to be keen on the differences between the recording and the vocal chart, because as wonderful a job Harmonix has done, they haven't charted EVERY single embellishment in the vocal line. In other words, you might sing a scoop into a note or cut it off a little too early because the singer does that, but the chart doesn't. Coupled with the fact that concentrating on guitar causes us to overlook these details a little more easily. These can (and are, especially for me) be the difference between an awesome phrase and a strong phrase.

As another tip, it's much easier to learn songs by listening rather than drilling them over and over again. This is much like what I did with Henrietta voxtar. I must've played it 30 times trying to get an FC way back when, but it wasn't until I watched a video of the chart that I could nuance my voice to hit the bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: