FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best song to start off with on Expert Vocals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHeroFan101  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Best song to start off with on Expert Vocals Reply with quote

I am starting to get into playing Vocals and I want to start practicing Expert Vocals. It seems impossible to FC, or even gold star a song on XVocals to me, because I can NOT keep a combo. Does playing on XVocals take a lot of practice or is it just something you can do overnight? Also, what is an easy on-disk song to start practicing with on RB1,RB2,GD:RB,or the RB Track Packs?
inv4der  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vocals is a very interesting instrument because it's based mostly how well you can determine what a pitch is and then replicate it.

If you're insisting on starting on X, play lower tier songs or ones you know well. Early on it may be better to hum instead (that would be just doing pitches, not worrying about lyrics) and worry about learning to sing when you, well, learn to "sing".

Vocals charts are identical on all difficulties so you can get the idea on lower difficulties before playing on X.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Vocals is a very interesting instrument because it's based mostly how well you can determine what a pitch is and then replicate it.

If you're insisting on starting on X, play lower tier songs or ones you know well. Early on it may be better to hum instead (that would be just doing pitches, not worrying about lyrics) and worry about learning to sing when you, well, learn to "sing".

Vocals charts are identical on all difficulties so you can get the idea on lower difficulties before playing on X.

I actually suck at humming through a song. I only do well when I actually sing the lyrics. I just can't keep a combo. It seems like my pitch is always too Low or too hIGH. I usually lose pitch on songs with short, fast lyrics, such as Down With The Sickness, but I can actually get the correct pitch for medium-long phrases PERFECTLY.
CaptCalamity  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious question, and it's not a criticism: can you carry a tune? I know some tone-deaf people who insist on trying vocals, they'll never do it. Some voice instructors will insist it's possible to teach anyone to sing on-pitch, but I've never seen it happen.

If you know you can carry a tune, just sort the on-disc songs for the easiest one. I would also advise picking one that's in your vocal range, so you don't have to struggle or do any vocal gymnastics to hit the pitch. There are plenty of easy songs.

Don't forget practice mode, and when you're finished with a play, use the final score menu to look at the sections you messed up. Go back and isolate those in practice mode to get them right. Don't worry about overdrive until you can hit a pretty high percentage, because OD is another set of voodoo entirely. I would agree with the advise to work on the lower difficulty levels before hitting expert.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptCalamity wrote:
Obvious question, and it's not a criticism: can you carry a tune? I know some tone-deaf people who insist on trying vocals, they'll never do it. Some voice instructors will insist it's possible to teach anyone to sing on-pitch, but I've never seen it happen.

If you know you can carry a tune, just sort the on-disc songs for the easiest one. I would also advise picking one that's in your vocal range, so you don't have to struggle or do any vocal gymnastics to hit the pitch. There are plenty of easy songs.

Don't forget practice mode, and when you're finished with a play, use the final score menu to look at the sections you messed up. Go back and isolate those in practice mode to get them right. Don't worry about overdrive until you can hit a pretty high percentage, because OD is another set of voodoo entirely. I would agree with the advise to work on the lower difficulty levels before hitting expert.

I am experienced Easy-Medium Vocals player. I can FC almost any song on RB on Medium, but I can't keep my voice to stay on pitch on Hard-Expert vocals. Like I said, on Hard-Expert vocals, you basically have to hit every phrase. You can't even miss ONE phrase.
CaptCalamity  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it might be familiarity with the songs. Sometimes with the charting on expert, what you are familiar with hearing isn't exactly what's charted. There's some tricky stuff done with phrase endings and the actual length of notes. I still say that looking at the final score screen, scrolling down to find the offending section, and redoing it in practice mode until you have it may be the best way to discover what you're doing. Without video, it would be hard to tell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vocals does not happen overnight, it takes practice, but it's easy to pick up, kind of. Not sure how useful this will be, but I'm gonna list off some songs I think are really easy to learn vocals with, in order of difficulty.

Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Go With the Flow by Queens of the Stone Age
*Aesthetics of Hate by Machine Head (the pitches at the end of the song)
Something In the Way by Nirvana
Smile Like You Mean It by The Killers
Handlebars by Flobots
Monkey Gone to Heaven by the Pixies
Pain by Jimmy Eat World
They Say by Scars on Broadway
Blood and Thunder by Mastodon
I Need to Know by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Monster by The Automatic
Andres by L7
C'mon C'mon by The Von Bondies
Losing My Religion by R.E.M.
Last by Nine Inch Nails
Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park
Peace Sells by Megadeth
Always by Blink-182
Gasoline by Audioslave
I Ran (So Far Away) by Flock of Seagulls
Wonderwall by Oasis
The Passenger by Iggy Pop
School by Nirvana
Alex Chilton by The Replacements
My Hero by Foo Fighters
Tubthumping by Chumbawumba
That's When I Reach For My Revolver by Mission of Burma
Miss Murder by AFI
Ex-Girlfriend by No Doubt
Break On Through (To the Other Side) by The Doors
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
inv4der  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you paid to post in threads that have been inactive for months or is it just a hobby? Honestly curious.

To be helpful even though GHFan has long since gotten commentary regarding his query, I'll note again that vocals difficulty is wildly variable and there's no go-to set of easy songs since it's based on numerous hard to quantify factors.

As I myself said nearly a year ago, "play lower tier songs or ones you know well. Early on it may be better to hum instead (that would be just doing pitches, not worrying about lyrics) and worry about learning to sing when you, well, learn to "sing"."

If you know/enjoy a song I'd think it'd be a lot easier to work on the song even if it's not easy.

Another thing that helped me at least be able to FC as someone not all that talented, not sound good, but at least FC, was to just get the arrow on the line using the visual cue more than the audio.

Although really, there's no "trick" to RB vocals. Match the pitches however you want or need to. If it takes blind stumbling for months until it clicks, or if you're a natural, that's the way it is. Sing songs you like because you like to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Are you paid to post in threads that have been inactive for months or is it just a hobby? Honestly curious.

To be helpful even though GHFan has long since gotten commentary regarding his query, I'll note again that vocals difficulty is wildly variable and there's no go-to set of easy songs since it's based on numerous hard to quantify factors.

As I myself said nearly a year ago, "play lower tier songs or ones you know well. Early on it may be better to hum instead (that would be just doing pitches, not worrying about lyrics) and worry about learning to sing when you, well, learn to "sing"."

If you know/enjoy a song I'd think it'd be a lot easier to work on the song even if it's not easy.

Another thing that helped me at least be able to FC as someone not all that talented, not sound good, but at least FC, was to just get the arrow on the line using the visual cue more than the audio.

Although really, there's no "trick" to RB vocals. Match the pitches however you want or need to. If it takes blind stumbling for months until it clicks, or if you're a natural, that's the way it is. Sing songs you like because you like to do it.

Yes, Harmonix hired me to advertise their DLC. That's why I just showed up out of nowhere. I don't really know what I'm talking about because I've only been playing Rock Band vocals since the year it came out, and I've barely made any improvements. I went from being able to do Maps on vocals to barely being able to full combo every song on every game and breaking top 20 on each. I definitely don't have much experience about this game, and I'm definitely talking out of my ass. If you want some real advice though, listen to this fine dame here and just hum everything like a drunk slandering baffoon. It will not only make you improve your skills at the game, but help you get all the T 'n A that real rockstars get.

And also, as she said, vocals is highly variable and dependent on knowledge of the song. So start off with Bohemian Rhapsody, as that's the song most people are often most familiar with. Trust me, that difficulty doesn't mean a thing. You've heard the song a million times, so it will just come naturally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: