FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oye Mi Amor PK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alternity  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Oye Mi Amor PK Reply with quote

So, I've been trying to get that FC for a while now, I was wondering if I could get some tips that could help me actually hit those fast pressing notes at the start of the song without overhitting, or missing any.

Any thought? How did you guys did it?
xGaberadex  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it on PRO yet, but on regular I had to use alternate fingers, so I'm guessing it applies here as well unless charted differently.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used two hands to hit it on Pro

I felt most comfortable using my middle fingers on my left and right hands to do this

it sort of feels like playing a drum roll with your fingers that way

if you're trying to strictly use only your right hand to play it, I would suggest alternating between your index and middle fingers, or index and ring fingers

I could have sworn I saw another thread where one of the one-handed players said they were fairly consistent playing it that way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hands seems the way to go, I was wondering if it's better to hit them at the lower part of the keyboard, or the higher part (higher part being between the grace notes).
megallica  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternity wrote:
2 hands seems the way to go, I was wondering if it's better to hit them at the lower part of the keyboard, or the higher part (higher part being between the grace notes).

i found that it registered better to hit with one finger at the bottom end of the key (the part closest to you), and the other around the middle (just before the tip of the black keys)

the reason for this was more about space than any problems with input for the game though

having the most space possible between my hands kept them from getting in each other's way, and the part of the key between the black keys was too skinny, so the black keys would get in the way of that hand

although, i think if you get too close to the top of the key, it's harder to press it down enough to register anyway

it's really important to let off the key completely before starting pressing down with your other finger though
(i'm pretty sure this was one of the biggest problems with getting it to register consistently for me)

so really exaggerate pulling off of the key if you have to

also, slowing it down in practice mode isn't a bad idea. it helped me memorize exactly how many hits there were, and what the rhythm for them was

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
Alternity wrote:

i found that it registered better to hit with one finger at the bottom end of the key (the part closest to you), and the other around the middle (just before the tip of the black keys)

the reason for this was more about space than any problems with input for the game though

having the most space possible between my hands kept them from getting in each other's way, and the part of the key between the black keys was too skinny, so the black keys would get in the way of that hand

although, i think if you get too close to the top of the key, it's harder to press it down enough to register anyway

it's really important to let off the key completely before starting pressing down with your other finger though
(i'm pretty sure this was one of the biggest problems with getting it to register consistently for me)

so really exaggerate pulling off of the key if you have to

also, slowing it down in practice mode isn't a bad idea. it helped me memorize exactly how many hits there were, and what the rhythm for them was

All right thanks for the tips, next time I work on that part I will try those and see what works best for me. Goddamn thing, it's not even a human that plays this.
megallica  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternity wrote:
All right thanks for the tips, next time I work on that part I will try those and see what works best for me. Goddamn thing, it's not even a human that plays this.

really?

i assumed it was played by a human, but not on a keyboard

sounds like a flute, or some other woodwind instrument

regardless, it's still kind of silly to chart these things to keys

the sax solo on 20th Century Boy is probably the most ridiculous charting decision from the on disc songs

you're supposed to use two hands to play a saxophone, so clearly it couldn't be charted for one-handed play, and it's just completely different from anything you would typically play on a keyboard or piano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:

i assumed it was played by a human, but not on a keyboard

Yeah I think you guys are making the same point.

Quote:
you're supposed to use two hands to play a saxophone, so clearly it couldn't be charted for one-handed play, and it's just completely different from anything you would typically play on a keyboard or piano

I don't think it's the fact that you use two hands to play a sax that's the issue. It's that a part for an instrument tends to take into account the way the instrument is played. The easiest example of this would be taking a simple guitar chord part and transcribing it literally to piano; all those easy 6-string chords become a bit difficult to play . When writing scores for symphonies a beginner mistake is to chart something that is actually outside the range of the instrument that is supposed to play it.

If you have a synthesized horn/sax/string part that was originally written and played out on a synth, it's likely to come fine into the game. But if you have a part that was originally played on the actual instrument and is charted into the game in a make-believe fashion, you are likely to encounter cases where something that was intuitive to play on the original instrument is out-and-out awkward to play on a keyboard. Excellent example of this is the Down Under chart, as well as the intro to Oye Mi Amor and any number of DLC songs with sax solos.

Unfortunately since you can synthesize a lot of sounds on MIDI, it's the keyboardists who get stuck with these charting decisions more often than not.
mazegeek999PSN  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah for me I alternate, one finger at the bottom and one toward the middle of the key. Make sure to raise your fingers FAST off the keyboard though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: