FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sight-reading Expert Pro Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnet  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Sight-reading Expert Pro Keys Reply with quote

How many other people try sight-reading new DLC on Expert Pro Keys?

After getting new DLC, I'll run through it all on Expert Pro to see how many I can beat (or do well on). For me, I think it's a great exercise to see how well I'm able to use the game interface to actually play the real notes with no prior knowledge of how the song plays. This has been especially interesting with some of the key-heavy DLC like Queen and Billy Joel. I surprised myself performance-wise by doing extremely well my first time on Under Pressure, and I was able to beat 4 of the 12 Billy Joel songs. Oddly enough, I can fail on some one dot songs but pass four dot songs during sight-reads, so I personally don't take too much stock in the difficulty ratings unless it's five-dots or devil tier.

I'm wondering how many others try this when getting new songs. Also, how well can you do? Is anyone at the point where they can sight-read X Pro on a two or three dot song and get around 95-100% accuracy? How many people out there are able to pass five dot or devil tier songs during X Pro sight-reads - and of those people, if there are any, are you able to do well (like in the 90%+ accuracy range)?
malictus  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sight-read Light My Fire and passed, but it was a weak, barely 3-star score, and I was already was familiar with the song. I find I can usually sight-read songs that I'm already familiar with, since I sort of know what the chords should be. But I'm HORRIBLE at sight-reading songs I've never heard before --- I'm just not good enough at reading the notes cold.
Abaddon  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sight read Rock Lobster a couple of nights ago and got a 91% and 4 1/2 stars. I just got my keytar last week although I have years of piano experience many moons ago.

Prior to that I was really struggling. Hopefully this is a sign it is clicking now.

Also, agreed, the tiers are almost useless for me so far.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can usually pass a song in the first three tiers on a pure SR but it'll likely be a 2* or 3* score. Highly-tiered stuff, forget it.
jawnintendo  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A SR for me would be a 4*, or a 3* if the song was hard/unpredictable.

I actually FC'd Foolin' on SR.

In the event of a code red, please do not orgasm over an accomplishment of an elite player. That is because the player is currently in the zone. You will run of out of jizz before he is finished.
Thank you for listening and please save all orgasms for the end of the ride.

Accomplishments | 17/82 Pro Guitar FCs | 70/83 Pro Bass FCs | 55/63 Pro Keys FCs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jawnintendo
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing on anything but expert a while back so I pretty much SR every DLC on expert by default.
HHHistheGame  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can usually get 5 stars on the sight read but Ive been playing piano since I was four...so...yeah. I see the chord shapes and I know it's a C chord, or a G chord or what have you and can usually figure out what the notes have to be.
Edify  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To date, I have FC'ed three songs on Pro Keys on my sightread (though they're three easy songs) -- Helen Wheels by Paul McCartney and Wings, Through Glass by Stone Sour, and The Spirit of Radio (Live) by Rush. Spirit of Radio is a second-tier song, so that's the highest difficulty of a song I've FC'ed on my sightread of a Pro Keys song.

I'm definitely a lot better at sightreading than I used to be. It's just like any other skill, you get better at it the more you do it.
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I did do a video of myself sight reading through the entire Country Pack.

With the exception of Ring of Fire and Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia, I had never even heard OF any of the songs in the pack, let alone had the slightest familiarity with them. (Not much of a country music fan), but I wanted to test my sight reading ability and this was the best opportunity (for only $20) to do just that.

I should mention that I really like the pack now and never thought I would enjoy Country music this much.

Here's the video of that experiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoo6vhQhf0&list=UUpOt75ThqIZ-33C55gd3Aog&index=4&feature=plcp
Alternity  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually practically only sightread pro keys, I just recently began to practice some of the hardest stuff that I absolutely need to practice in order to get good at it. I've got maybe 10-15 FCs on sightread (mostly 0 to 2 dots stuff max). I usually get 5* or GS if I don't FC on sightread the easy stuff, and 4* the 3-5 dots (Unless it's really unpredictable and/or kinda hard to read), and I rarely got over 3 stars on a devil tiered song on sightread, except songs with an incredibly hard solo and not-so-hard rest of the song (some Amberian Dawn, anyone?).

Basically, I get better and better at sightreading pro keys, having 350 songs helps doing it, especially when you play often with friends/random who picks stuff you haven't played in ages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: