FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Experimental music on RBN?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oscarvarium  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Experimental music on RBN? Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
Would it help bring variety, or just make the RBN look like a joke?

Can't it do both? I don't think there should any "minimum quality" set for entry into RBN (well actually I do, but where it should be set would be an endless argument so it's an unworkable idea), but what confuses the hell out of me is people who throw something together in a short time and then they themselves are happy enough with it to put it onto RBN. I've written a few things in my time and even though I honestly (as objectively as I can be) believe they're way ahead of some of the stuff that's been crapped onto RBN, I still don't consider them good enough for me to want to chart and upload them.

Maybe it's different when you're getting some poor unsuspecting chump to do all the work for you. :P
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Experimental music on RBN? Reply with quote

Oscarvarium wrote:
TheLonging wrote:

Can't it do both? I don't think there should any "minimum quality" set for entry into RBN (well actually I do, but where it should be set would be an endless argument so it's an unworkable idea), but what confuses the hell out of me is people who throw something together in a short time and then they themselves are happy enough with it to put it onto RBN. I've written a few things in my time and even though I honestly (as objectively as I can be) believe they're way ahead of some of the stuff that's been crapped onto RBN, I still don't consider them good enough for me to want to chart and upload them.

Maybe it's different when you're getting some poor unsuspecting chump to do all the work for you. :P

A lot of it has to do with self-awareness of yourself as an artist. I know my songs that are in the game (the Man Parts songs) are terrible, but they were originally written specifically to be terrible, and there's a reason I vehemently opposed putting them in any genre other than "novelty," despite creators' wanting them to go under punk or metal.

Honestly I'm not sure what I'm trying to argue here. I agree that artists should "police themselves" in terms of quality when it comes to submitting stuff to the RBN, but with "quality" being such a subjective argument, it's kind of wishful thinking.

Having said all this, experimental music isn't that much different than any other genre in terms of terrible joke stuff. To use my own music as an example, we're purposefully shitty and a joke, but we're not experimental at all. I'm not really sure why this idea of the "RBN turning into a haven for shitty joke music" is any more specific to the experimental genre than any other genre.
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscarvarium wrote:
TheLonging wrote:

A lot of it has to do with self-awareness of yourself as an artist. I know my songs that are in the game (the Man Parts songs) are terrible, but they were originally written specifically to be terrible, and there's a reason I vehemently opposed putting them in any genre other than "novelty," despite creators' wanting them to go under punk or metal.

Honestly I'm not sure what I'm trying to argue here. I agree that artists should "police themselves" in terms of quality when it comes to submitting stuff to the RBN, but with "quality" being such a subjective argument, it's kind of wishful thinking.

Having said all this, experimental music isn't that much different than any other genre in terms of terrible joke stuff. To use my own music as an example, we're purposefully shitty and a joke, but we're not experimental at all. I'm not really sure why this idea of the "RBN turning into a haven for shitty joke music" is any more specific to the experimental genre than any other genre.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
Oscarvarium wrote:
TheLonging wrote:
*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

That could very well be the case. However, it's hard to tell on where to draw the line (I agree with Oscar's post; we could spend forever on this).

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:

I'm not really sure why this idea of the "RBN turning into a haven for shitty joke music" is any more specific to the experimental genre than any other genre.

Agreed. Although I think sometimes "experimental" or "ambient" are terms used for the music created by people who can barely handle an instrument and have put little effort into learning anything about performing or writing music. There are excellent experimental and ambient artists out there. It's a bit demeaning to them how the term sometimes gets used. (Or as one wise man/ass once put it when talking about this style, "most experiments fail").
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: