FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best powerups
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally see no point in leveling anything but your super on the final check point. a 3 cap level gets you an extra 300 points on finale. Not worth what you give up in the super bonus

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
bclare  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowlZ wrote:
I personally see no point in leveling anything but your super on the final check point. a 3 cap level gets you an extra 300 points on finale. Not worth what you give up in the super bonus

You mean after the final checkpoint, ie between the last gate and the end? I think everyone has pretty much agreed on that.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
I agree, but I'm really wondering if it's possible to consistently get level cap +3 on every segment. Based on about 6 hours of on-again-off-again play, I'm leaning toward the answer being "No, not without outside help from a power that breaks more gems" on significant portion of songs.

Because of the way scoring multipliers stack, losing even a single Level Cap +1 early on in a song causes a significant ripple effect in the overall scoring. Using Jackpot may get you a lot of extra points towards the end of a song, but if using Jackpot instead of one of the gem-buster OD powers causes you to miss a level+3, you're also leaving a ton of points on the table that way, depending on what the rest of your loadout looks like.

I agree completely with your second segment. All other things aside the #1 most important thing is to get +3 level cap at every checkpoint (other than after the last one, obv). With maybe rare and very specialized exceptions. After that the issue is what powerups can i lay on top of that to best increase my score from there. Mathematically speaking if you can achieve perfection, that is obviously jackpot among the overdrive powerups.

As far as your first point, I think it is absolutely possible to do it consistently on every song, with probably a small few exceptions (Complete Control has one problematic section and I played another song last night with a similar issue but i cant recall) esp wehre you have a guitar solo that takes up 80% of a section and then a flurry of fast notes on all three tracks in the last bit of the section, enough that the game expects you to level up all four tracks in that section. My exact technique is still a work in progress but on about the 15 or so songs i played last night (sightreads, with no powerups), I achieved multiplier dominance on at least a dozen or so - and the other handful i usually had only one or two checkpoints where i only got +2,and in those cases it is usually somethign like in one section one of the instruments (usually drums or bass) slowed its pace down halfway through the section so that i missed playing the faster part due to being over on the guitar/vox side of things.

Granted the technique i use (which hopefully i can write up more in full over the course of the week) is somewhat tricky and really trades off of some of the skills i have like dividing my attention to play one track while watching what is going on on other tracks, as well as counting out notes etc (exact score experience comes in handy), which really helps me to do it on sightread, but with enough practice on a particular song the route through could probably be doable by anybody.

Mathermatically im essentially certain that the way it work out in each section there are always enough notes so that if you were able to hit things perfectly, as well as switch perfectly, youd easily be able to clear all lanes in one section. If all instruments are even then its pretty simple, you just play 25% of the section on each instrument, when a certain lane is heavy in the start but weaker in the end thats where you run into problems if you happen to not notice and are playing other instrument lanes first. Thats why given a generic song, the rough priority of lanes is keys or vox > guitar > bass > drums, since usually the rhythm section is a bit more steady through the song, while the vox by its nature almost always has pauses in it and keys are sort of all over the place. If you could rearrange the lanes (or at least have your cursor wrap around) that would be pretty helpful, as adjacency is definitely a factor. The one problem that i sometimes run into with bass is where there are runs of long susteains and also faster parts in teh same section as that can definitely unbalance it, and for drums the thing that can be tricky is that chords count as two notes for puposes of multi so a section with lsightly faster rolls into chords can be deceptively more dense in notes than it might looks.

EDIT: Another important sort of poitn to layer on top of the no-powerups discussion is that when you layer just blast notes into the mix it really breaks a ton of extra gems, probably enough so that by regular play you only need to level each track up to maybe +2x or halfway past rather than all the way to +3x, which isnt to say that you shouldn't figure out the pattern to get through it wihtout blast notes (since adding blast notes on top of that will just let you jackpot the end of a section earlier) but it means that in any real jackpot/blast notes case you should be able to easily paper over those rare problematic section that require superhuman ability to conquer in the no powerups case.
jawnintendo  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Example: The Hourglass Paroxysm Pt 1.

Bass + Keys Happen simultaneously a lot outside of the double solo, and they're just sustains, so unless you use bandmate (blast notes really won't help that much), it's impossible to level up both, so I just completely ignore both and focus on guitar. Later on, it gets a little easier, but it's still not worth it.

Off-topic, I don't know if its even possible to GS it. (I was first for a while with just barely 5*s)

In the event of a code red, please do not orgasm over an accomplishment of an elite player. That is because the player is currently in the zone. You will run of out of jizz before he is finished.
Thank you for listening and please save all orgasms for the end of the ride.

Accomplishments | 17/82 Pro Guitar FCs | 70/83 Pro Bass FCs | 55/63 Pro Keys FCs

Last edited by jawnintendo on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jawnintendo
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawnintendo wrote:
Perfect Example: The Hourglass Paroxysm Pt 1.

Bass + Keys Happen simultaneously a lot outside of the double solo, and they're just sustains, so unless you use bandmate (blast notes really won't help that much), it's impossible to level up both, so I just completely ignore both and focus on guitar. Later on, it gets a little easier, but it's still not worth it.

Off-topic, I don't know if its even possible to GS it. (I was first for a while with just barely 5*s)

Its too bad you cant rearrange the lanes on a track, as this sounds like it would be theoretically doable by using an early/switch/late technique to hit notes on both lanes, if they were adjacent. Alternately if the sustains are longish are there other notes on drums or guitar during the sustains. For half the section you could maybe work on hitting every bass note and the in between drums/gtr ones, and the other half you coudl work on hitting every keys note and hit the guitar/vox notes that are inbtween (obv the double shift makes that plan tougher to execute).
jawnintendo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawnintendo wrote:

Yay I answered my own question!!

In the event of a code red, please do not orgasm over an accomplishment of an elite player. That is because the player is currently in the zone. You will run of out of jizz before he is finished.
Thank you for listening and please save all orgasms for the end of the ride.

Accomplishments | 17/82 Pro Guitar FCs | 70/83 Pro Bass FCs | 55/63 Pro Keys FCs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jawnintendo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: