FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rapid Lane Switching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dore  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Rapid Lane Switching Reply with quote

In some threads people have talked about having trouble getting to max level cap in some instances. I've gotten pretty decent at switching lanes a lot to maximize the time you spend hitting stuff with higher point values while still getting all the level caps. Sometimes that involves switching lanes every beat or twice a beat even. It causes some misses but also allows you to essentially level up two instruments at the same time, which keeps your max growing and also gives you more time to spend on your super instrument before the next checkpoint.

A couple examples:

In Undone (The Sweater Song), the drums do a pretty consistent quarter note pattern, while the bass does RLRLR 8th notes for most of the song. So I'll hit the drums on every beat and then hit every other bass note (so ) which minimizes the time I have to spend on the left side of the track. I then do the same idea with guitar and vocals (for example in the verses, going ). Then I get extra time to hang out on super guitar and get more points.

Stronger is similar in some parts, except drums do quarters while bass does 16ths. It's impossible for me to switch lanes that quickly and keep a combo, but by hitting bass notes while the drums rest for half a beat, you have to spend less time on bass and can get back to super guitar.

Shine has really sparse drum and bass parts, so I'll hit every bass note, sustain as long as possible, and then switch over to drums to hit the notes in between bass notes. It makes you get a few drum notes while hitting all the bass notes so you can spend as little time over there as possible and get to where the real points are at.

I wasn't sure if other people were doing this or if anybody wanted to discuss mechanics, so I figured I'd make a thread about it and see what opinions everyone else had.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slightly curious if Synchony is any good for folks who rapid swap.

Songs: Just over 1000.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do some rapid swapping for songs where there's not a lot of notes on one particular instrument (so you basically HAVE to stay near that instrument whenever notes appear).

Synchrony's major malfunction is that it's most useful on songs with very sparse notes where you can nail two notes at the same time with a Synchrony lane swap... the only problem is, those sparse notes "tend" to be sustains, and Synchrony kills any sustains (like all the other gem-buster powers), so you actually end up leaving points on that table sometimes that way.

If Synchrony gave you the entire sustain's worth of points, it'd be amazing. As it is... not so much. The point bonus for a Synchrony switch goes from 100 through 500 each time you pass a measure marker and switch, but that's about as impactful as Blitz mode (which is to say, not very).
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, learn to switch rapidly. I commonly will switch from drums to keys to drums to hit those blast notes. It makes a ton of difference.

Unlike Synchrony, which is just garbage. It's only useful in a song that would have basically more measures than notes. I think I used it once on a song with huge rests just switching back and forth to get points when there were no notes, but I still ended up with a crappy score.
insomniacdude  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip related to rapid switching: if you use the freakish control scheme, since you can use both control sticks to switch lanes, if you press both sticks in the same direction you'll hop over two lanes instead of the one. You'll still pass through that middle lane, so it could still break your blitz mode, but it's so fast that it might not even be an issue sometimes. It's allowed me to stay on my super track a note or two longer before being forced over onto the drums or keys to hit that purple gem, and I can wait a note or two more before switching back to my super track.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rapid Lane Switching Reply with quote

dore wrote:
Shine has really sparse drum and bass parts, so I'll hit every bass note, sustain as long as possible, and then switch over to drums to hit the notes in between bass notes. It makes you get a few drum notes while hitting all the bass notes so you can spend as little time over there as possible and get to where the real points are at.

I wasn't sure if other people were doing this or if anybody wanted to discuss mechanics, so I figured I'd make a thread about it and see what opinions everyone else had.

Yeah I do this same thing, very similarly to you - usually workign on either gtr/vox (ie hitting guitar in between vox pauses) or drums/bass (hitting drum notes between bass notes if the bass is spread out in the song or hitting on bass then switching over for faster drum parts if the drums are slow but with periodic faster beats).

On sustains in general I usually will move off of them treating them like a pause if i still am in multiplier build-up mode. The sustain part of the note is meaningless for the multi credit (also blitz credit and i believe OD meter as well). Definitely I did that on shine, you have to hit basically all the bass notes in some sections while hitting drum notes in between to maintain optimum multiplier in a powerup-free run.

As far as switching without breaking, its sort of tricky to do but its definitely possible especialyl if you can divide your attention to watch the other lanes and keep a level head. My #1 advice is to pick out the spot just a head on the track you want to switch at and then focus on the notes in the track you are going to. switch on top of a note on adjacent track and quickly hit it. I use Shoulders scheme (buttons = notes, trigger = lane change) to make this easier and more reliable. Im fairly certain that you pretty much never miss notes on the track you are leaving from when you do it this way - I have about 90% confidence that it doesnt count as a miss until the back end of the timing window passes the strike line, so that if you move off the track before the window fully passes you will not get a miss even if the note already scrolled off the screen (assuming you hit the note on teh track you are goign to). I will probably do some more controlled tests to prove this 100% to myself and report back. Additionally, when you need to move several tracks at once you can exploit this by going very quickly. With a little bit of luck no back end timing windows scroll off while you are on a lane and you get no misses - but make sure to hit the notes on the lane you are going to.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OD sustains do gain OD, very very slowly in most cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: