FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Control schemes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dore wrote:
I come from an SM/FFR background as well and I prefer shoulders. It's a little rough on the hands after a while from holding the controller steady but I like being able to play with index and middles in a pretty ergonomic way. Honestly, I think the best control scheme would be askl on keyboard and space for powerups lol

dat spread

thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a control scheme that consistently works well for me. By which I mean I played through all the RBB songs and a bunch of DLC and didn't manage to 5* any of them. I could blame the fact that I suck, but I'm gonna blame the controls instead because OBVIOUSLY.

So yeah, whichever control scheme I'm using now (default, I think, using both analogue sticks) is simply because it's the least painful. It seems to be alright for fast notes actually, since you can rattle the sticks left and right or up and down or whatever to hit notes as quick as you want.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
insomniacdude  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very quickly (after the first song) switched to freakish and haven't looked back. I hated default: I didn't feel like the joysticks were immediate enough for me, and the assymetry both of the controller (if I were to use both joy sticks) or of the input (the A button vs. joystick) was uncomfortable. I prefer RB/LB for those reasons, and also for the aural aspect. I can hear those buttons better than a joystick, and so it's easier for me to stay in a steady time/rhythm.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yusuke wrote:
Icemage wrote:
This is one of those rare occasions that which console you use makes a big difference. I'm pretty fond of both Typewriter and Default on the PS3 controller, since on the SixAxis/Dual Shock 3 it's a symmetric setup. Really fast runs of chords and solos are a pain on Default, so I think I'll eventually transition to Typewriter for speed and accuracy. I cut my rhythm gaming teeth on Stepmania for PC, so hitting falling notes with index/middle finger is second nature to me.

The uneven sticks and placement of the 360 D-Pad compared to A/B/X/Y would drive me crazy in either control scheme I think (which is why I think so many people in this thread playing on 360 might be preferring Freakish).

I was an avid SM player as well, and I didnt even see typewriter and went straight for freakish. It's not that I can't do it one handed (far from it), but I just find it comfortable to be able to hold the controller and not have it resting on something, lest the controller be improperly balanced on the left side.

dore wrote:
I come from an SM/FFR background as well and I prefer shoulders. It's a little rough on the hands after a while from holding the controller steady but I like being able to play with index and middles in a pretty ergonomic way. Honestly, I think the best control scheme would be askl on keyboard and space for powerups lol

That's exactly the point I'm making. On the PS3 controller, both the Default and Typewriter setups make sense and are balanced, because the d-pad and face buttons are on the same level. On the 360 controller, they don't (note: both of you play on 360).
dore  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I think I wouldn't like shoulders on a PS3 controller since the controller is smaller and would be a lot harder to actually hold onto the thing. I think if I had a PS3 I'd want to lay my controller down, play on dpad/buttons with indexes and then L1/R1 with middles or rings.

I wish there were custom control schemes though, I don't see why you can't use whatever damn buttons you please, but whatever

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insomniacdude wrote:
I hated default: I didn't feel like the joysticks were immediate enough for me, and the assymetry both of the controller (if I were to use both joy sticks) or of the input (the A button vs. joystick) was uncomfortable.
A button + D-pad removes any joystick issues and is also pretty symmetrical. There's also the incredible bonus of being able to mash X and A together to activate your powerup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
insomniacdude wrote:
I hated default: I didn't feel like the joysticks were immediate enough for me, and the assymetry both of the controller (if I were to use both joy sticks) or of the input (the A button vs. joystick) was uncomfortable.
A button + D-pad removes any joystick issues and is also pretty symmetrical. There's also the incredible bonus of being able to mash X and A together to activate your powerup.

This exactly. I tried doing default with the thumbstick for left, but it works a lot better with the D-pad.
insomniacdude  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
insomniacdude wrote:

Good point, but again it goes back to the aural side of things. The A button and the D-pad sound different to me when I press them, that would really mess me up. Maybe I'm just a little freakish. (Oh that's where they get the name of the scheme)
Xenigma  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been exclusively using Typewriter so I can play the game on my arcade stick. Switch tracks with the stick, use index and middle fingers for A/B, and X for powerups is right above A. It's fun, and it allows me to hit all but the nastiest patterns with ease, but does cause two issues: it's difficult to move up to hit the powerup without breaking streak, and if I make too big a motion on the stick it's liable to accidentally switch back to where I was when the stick returns to neutral. I'd probably be better off using a pad, but for now it's a pretty great time with a controller I normally only get to use for fighting games.

BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made the switch from the default scheme to freakish. My main problem was switching lanes fast enough to stay in blitz mode. It's still a little new to me, but I've gs'd 5 songs in a row, so I'm glad I made the switch.

Definitely worth a try if anyone else thinks they're a little slow on lane changes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through all schemes, and all of them felt awkward.

But then I got to Typewriter and fell in love.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
There's also the incredible bonus of being able to mash X and A together to activate your powerup.
This so much on PS3. While runs of stuff like LLRLLRLLRLLR on default are a major pain on the Dualshock because of the... less than perfection of the D-pad, it's all worth it to be able to do that.
GamingAwesome1  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulders.

Just feels right to me.

You really should be able to bind the controls to your liking like you could with Rock Band: Unplugged.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love shoulders since I am a button freak (and I have it on xbox so anyt hing that uses the dpad is immediately voided from consideration. I thought about what the best controls would be and figured that shoulders would be the way to go - I am amazed that anybody can play it differently and get enough precision to do the tons of lane switching that you need to do in order to max out adjacent tracks. In order to reduce hand strain from holding the controller (which happens if i hold it too tightly), I play with my hands on a soft, oversize pillow and basically just rest the controller and my hands in that cavity and use a light touch with my fingers extended way past the buttons (i hit hte shoulders for notes using the third segment of my poiner fingers, ie just above the knuckle). Its too bad you cant just customize any controls you would want - it would be cool to be able to play the notes with the shoulder buttons and then switch lanes to adjacent lane with the triggers but also hit one of the face buttons to instantly go to a particular lane, and push both triggers for OD activation. Plus that would open up cool and fun control schemes like using a drum controller to hit the notes and switch lanes, and maybe pedal for OD, etc.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one successfully using the default controls?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: