FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
6/5 DLC: Singles From Florence+The Machine, Midnight Oil, and Cracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't "Big among hipsters" an oxymoron?

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
megallica  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
expertwin wrote:
I'd prefer "Low" for the Cracker song, but oh well. I like the one they chose.

That's about where I'm at. I'd assumed they would've picked "Low", but hey, at least it's the other Cracker song I know - neat! And it's another one for the "artists I kind of figured I might never see in the game" pile, if nothing else.

as far as i know, Low is much more well known, but i think the charts for Teen Angst should be much more interesting, so i would say it's a better pick for rock band

even for songs i like, i don't get as much out of them when i can OMBFC them within an hour of downloading them

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
as far as i know, Low is much more well known, but i think the charts for Teen Angst should be much more interesting, so i would say it's a better pick for rock band

even for songs i like, i don't get as much out of them when i can OMBFC them within an hour of downloading them

That's fair. I mean, in various bits of comedic shtick, "Low" has been my go-to song for "oh shit, our bassist just fell over dead; we have 90 seconds to pull someone from the crowd and get them to fill in" territory. There are a total of four notes! Two frets on two different strings, played in a rectangle, forever! Where the pattern and tempo stay the same through the chorus AND the verses! The song is awesome, but scintillating gameplay it is not.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiradorsp wrote:
Of all the good, somewhat famous and/or recognisable Midnight Oil songs, why did they choose Power and Passion is beyond me!

Blue Sky Mine (one of their best songs!)
Beds Are Burning (They played this song at the opening or closing cerimony for the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney)
Bedlam Bridge
Forgotten Years
King of the Mountain
Stars of Warburton
Dead Heart

I don't often scratch my head at the choices for DLC, but in this case... I agree.

Power and the Passion does have an interesting drum solo, a ho-hum keys outtro and a few interesting harmonies on vocals. It's still far less well known than Beds Are Burning, however. Considering how mainstream DLC has gotten, this choice confuses me, as there really isn't a clear playability advantage, nor a popularity advantage.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else, I'm thankful that this week brought the video for Teen Angst to my attention (despite the fact that I've had the song on various 90s mixes since it came out). It's so awesomely, terribly 90s- random color filters, overusing the fish-eye lens, too much plaid, Howard Stern on drums... it's as if the director for this video had to shoot Two Princes right after and decided to be lazy and do the exact same thing again.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
Quazifuji  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

I don't often scratch my head at the choices for DLC, but in this case... I agree.

Power and the Passion does have an interesting drum solo, a ho-hum keys outtro and a few interesting harmonies on vocals. It's still far less well known than Beds Are Burning, however. Considering how mainstream DLC has gotten, this choice confuses me, as there really isn't a clear playability advantage, nor a popularity advantage.

Could always just be a licensing or masters issue. Harmonix has said that the songs they request and the songs they get aren't always the same. They could have had some weird reason for wanting Power and the Passion, or it's possible they asked for something else and the label had some reason for not being able to give it to them and gave them Power and the Passion instead.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quazifuji wrote:
Icemage wrote:

Could always just be a licensing or masters issue. Harmonix has said that the songs they request and the songs they get aren't always the same. They could have had some weird reason for wanting Power and the Passion, or it's possible they asked for something else and the label had some reason for not being able to give it to them and gave them Power and the Passion instead.

Cue the inevitable "they're saving it for Rock Band 4" conspiracy theory?

In all seriousness, it's not "such" a deep cut, but it's still a surprise choice IMO. I don't think it's a masters issue, as Beds Are Burning is newer than The Power and the Passion by several years if my memory serves. EDIT: If Wikipedia is correct, the difference is 5 years, and both songs were released under the same label.
Quazifuji  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Quazifuji wrote:

Cue the inevitable "they're saving it for Rock Band 4" conspiracy theory?

In all seriousness, it's not "such" a deep cut, but it's still a surprise choice IMO. I don't think it's a masters issue, as Beds Are Burning is newer than The Power and the Passion by several years if my memory serves. EDIT: If Wikipedia is correct, the difference is 5 years, and both songs were released under the same label.

I mean, I obviously have no clue what it actually is, of course. I don't actually know anything about the band or any of their songs. I was just thinking of that article they posted on the process of creating a DLC pack. They said they initially decided to a get 3-pack of a certain band, and decided on the three songs they wanted, so they asked the label for those three songs. The label told them there were problems with two of the songs, and offered the third one they requested and a different other two songs instead. So that could be one possible explanation. Maybe Harmonix had some reason for preferring Power and the Passion over Beds are Burning, or maybe they asked the label for Beds are Burning and the label said "sorry, there's a problem with that, but how about Power and the Passion?"
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:

Florence And The Machine are not even "big among (insert group here)", they're just flat-out big. Multi-platinum selling, multiple award-winning, huge popularity across the world, far-reaching with potential appeal to practically any demographic, mainstream, big. I realise that this in itself is a whole 'nother reason for Kris to hate them, but I can't imagine how they could be any further from 'hipster'.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
HellAshes wrote:

Florence And The Machine are not even "big among (insert group here)", they're just flat-out big. Multi-platinum selling, multiple award-winning, huge popularity across the world, far-reaching with potential appeal to practically any demographic, mainstream, big. I realise that this in itself is a whole 'nother reason for Kris to hate them, but I can't imagine how they could be any further from 'hipster'.

Because hipsters tend to like them, which is interesting because they're a demographic that often has a knee-jerk hate for any musician that fits into the description you posited. It's becoming less and less rare for these to cross, though. See: Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Foster the People, etc.
youhas  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I sort of assume that once these bands reach a certain level of prominence, the first-wave "hipster" collection of fans may quietly fall by the wayside while the new ocean of "mainstream" fans become their new round of champions. But whatever: like what you like, and don't like what you don't like, and it should all shake out OK in the end.

While I'm here: didn't Florence and the Machine perform on Saturday Night Live some months back? "Was featured prominently on network broadcast television" and "underground" seem like non-congruent labels to assign to a band.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
rafaelgs1992br  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all random for me, but what the world needs now sound cool, I may get it
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: 6/5 DLC: Singles From Florence+The Machine, Midnight Oil, an Reply with quote

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™ and PlayStation®3 system June 5th, 2012:

• Teen Angst (What The World Needs Now) by Cracker (X)

• Dog Days Are Over by Florence + The Machine (O)

• Power And The Passion by Midnight Oil (O)

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (80 Microsoft Points™, 100 Wii Points™) per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

Rock Band Network

Due to popular vote, the following songs this week have been enabled for score-tracking:

• Turning Sheep Into Goats/Systematomatic by Rishloo(80 MSP)

• Internal Cannon by August Burns Red (160 MSP)

• Last Breath by Attack Attack! (160 MSP)

New songs brought to you by Rhythm Authors:

-None-

RBN Songs now available for PS3 that are currently enabled for scoretracking:

• Apology Rejected by These Hearts ($1.99)

Note: As of this post, tracks marked with are available for PlayStation 3, and tracks marked with are available for Nintendo Wii. All others are currently exclusive to Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 3 on the Xbox 360

If you voted for one or more of these songs, update your votes by selecting new songs for next week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: