FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GuitarHeroFan101's "Help Me Improve" Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHeroFan101  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: GuitarHeroFan101's "Help Me Improve" Thread Reply with quote

Alright, let me start off by saying what I have the most problems on in Rock Band.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Rock Band, it seems as if I can never hit hammer ons. On Guitar Hero, I can hit them perfectly fine, but on Rock Band, I suck at hitting fast hammer ons, such as zig zag type HO's that go YBOBYBOBYBOBY. I also have trouble with HO's that go (e.g. BYBYBYBYBY). Can somebody help me with hitting them just right? This is what causes me to not get many FC''s...

OK, my next problem would be strumming. Like I said before, I can strum GREAT in Guitar Hero, but not in Rock Band. I can do basic strumming, but I just suck at fast strumming. Say for example, the song Orange Crush. I suck at strumming at the beginning of that song. Can somebody please give me some tips?

I will probably be getting a free PS3 soon, and when I do, I will buy RB3. That should fix my problems, because it has a better engine. Am I correct?, because I know you can import games into RB3.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on what you think I should do to improve. Any help is gladly appreciated.
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Band has a similar timing window to Guitar Hero 2, so you have to be a lot more precise with your fretting. Thankfully you can see whether you are fretting too fast/slow so you can rectify that.

Also...you cannot ghost note on rock band. So you might have unintentionally been doing that.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to do is get your calibration right. You may think your calibration is fine, but changing it by 5ms either direction might make it better (or maybe even by 10ms). Experiment. Calibration isn't necessarily the same between different games, especially a GH game vs a RB game.
BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
The most important thing to do is get your calibration right. You may think your calibration is fine, but changing it by 5ms either direction might make it better (or maybe even by 10ms). Experiment. Calibration isn't necessarily the same between different games, especially a GH game vs a RB game.

Calibration is probably the biggest thing that will help you. Too many people start playing the game and get used to a calibration that is not at all correct. This also can cause early/late fretting like FL4RE said, which is VERY noticable along your highway a while you are playing.

Also, I normally try to avoid switching between Guitar Hero and Rockband. If I go to gh to play 1 song, I can't FC anything on rockband for like 2 days, so I try to stay away from gh, however that might not be the case for you, I personally prefer Rockband over Guitar Hero.

Since you have to be way more accurate in Rockband than in Guitar Hero, solo's probably require more practice so you can get the timing exact. (If you have trouble with this you might find breakneak speed helpful, some people prefer playing with it on, however, I usually only use it for specific Lolhard songs.) Breakneak speed just speeds up the highway so the notes are more spreadout to visually differentiate and can be turned on under options then modifiers (If I remember, I'm not home right now). The last big thing that I can really think of is hand positioning. Shifting on the fretboard WILL HELP YOU GET A LOT BETTER, if you don't do so already. What I mean by this is for a a YB TRILL shift your index finger up to the yellow fret button and use your middle finger on the blue fret. The shifting thing is pretty subjective to personal preference, however, as a whole, I do the same fingerings a lot of others do, so I'd say it's a common practice.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GuitarHeroFan101's "Help Me Improve" Thread Reply with quote

GuitarHeroFan101 wrote:
I will buy RB3. That should fix my problems, because it has a better engine. Am I correct?, because I know you can import games into RB3.

The only real differences between RB3's engine and the previous games (at least from a single console standpoint, I have no idea if there's anything odd with the PS2 versions of anything beyond vox and cutoffs) is the lack of a strum limit (which you would have run into if you've played Green Grass and High Tides) and the addition of the lane mechanic (which, while somewhat unintuitive and finicky, is still easier than a lot of what would otherwise be charted and isn't bad once you learn it).

The other thing is that even if you do get a happy calibration in another game, RB3's will 99% of the time be significantly different, and it can sometimes be odd even with a CRT. (Note that a few milliseconds can mean misses you shouldn't have in these games.) I can not stress enough that you want your calibration to be as good as you can possibly get it.

RB3 is the best choice though (especially once calibrated) since you're not limited by the engine, as well as the fact that all new DLC/RBN is RB3 only. (PS3's RBN support is limited, but there's not much you can do about that.) Importing is also a great idea (less disc swapping), although be careful regarding accomplishments that way as not everyone agrees on their legitimacy. (RB1 FGFCs using RB3's engine, for instance.)

I'll leave the improvement tips to people that are actually good at these games.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL4RE wrote:
Rock Band has a similar timing window to Guitar Hero 2, so you have to be a lot more precise with your fretting. Thankfully you can see whether you are fretting too fast/slow so you can rectify that.

Also...you cannot ghost note on rock band. So you might have unintentionally been doing that.

What does ghost note mean?

Also, thanks for the help everybody. I will try calibrating and see what happens from there.
megallica  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHeroFan101 wrote:

if the chart has this (assuming the yellow and orange notes are hammerons):

guitar hero will let you fret it like this

where it will ignore you pressing down the blue note, which is referred to as a ghost note

if you touch the blue fret on a rock band song that's charted this way, you have to strum the orange note or the game wont count you doing it as a hammeron

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
GuitarHeroFan101 wrote:

if the chart has this (assuming the yellow and orange notes are hammerons):

guitar hero will let you fret it like this

where it will ignore you pressing down the blue note, which is referred to as a ghost note

if you touch the blue fret on a rock band song that's charted this way, you have to strum the orange note or the game wont count you doing it as a hammeron

Note that this is something that's very easy to do accidentally and/or unintentionally, so even if you don't mean to it can still happen frequently. Watch out when fretting quickly.

If you're missing "randomly" in a part like that, make sure this isn't the issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I need a little more of an explanation. Do you mean that if there is a bunch of YB hammer on's coming up, you can't anchor the yellow button down to hit the blue notes?
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHeroFan101 wrote:
OK, I need a little more of an explanation. Do you mean that if there is a bunch of YB hammer on's coming up, you can't anchor the yellow button down to hit the blue notes?

Ok...trills are fine if the lowest note stays the same. You hold down the lowest note & do whatever the hell you want with the upper ones.

Basically, say you had:

On Guitar hero 3 onwards (bar slider notes), you would fret a yellow in there too instead of having a gap between the red & blue, and the game would allow the combo to stay.
But in Rock band, you have to be much more precise, you would not be able to fret any extra notes other than the ones that are on the fretboard coming towards you. Otherwise you would break combo & have to strum the hammer-on to start it up again, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens with ghost noting when it comes to using a guitar with solo buttons during a solo, since hitting the buttons pretty much counts as a strum?
Quazifuji  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarethPorlest24 wrote:
So what happens with ghost noting when it comes to using a guitar with solo buttons during a solo, since hitting the buttons pretty much counts as a strum?

Hitting a solo button during a solo when there's no note generally acts like an overstrum.
Graf  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help get a better calibration without an instrument that does it for you, I recommend THIS VIDEO, which helped me immensely
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: