FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
12/31 DLC: Rush's 2112!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks this must be a different recording or something? Up through Discovery, the vocals and just the sound quality of the guitar and in general sound different. Vocals definitely sound different on the Priests bit (though from Discovery onward it sounds like the album version). Not overly different, but I probably listened to the song at least 3 or 4 times a week for the last year, so I definitely noticed.

Henry's post on the official forums mentioned an alternate take but when asked for details he said he'd have to ask the audio team and I don't know that he ever got a response. I believe WOR used a live cut for Overture/Syrinx and studio the rest of the way, right? So from this I would speculate that the Overture/Syrinx masters were ruined at some point, and that the two games solved the problem different ways. Maybe the band found a "vault edition" take that GH wasn't happy with, or they didn't find it until it was too late for GH to use it. Or maybe RB took the live version GH used and cleaned out the audience sounds? I really don't know, but it seems from the last few years that the band/management have access to more early stuff than we ever realized based on the two vault editions, the live Spirit of Radio, and now this.

The cuts of the entire suite are identical in both games. It's most noticable in the solod out guitar part during Overture before the solo. The guitar has a LOT of wah going on, which definitely isn't present on the studio track, and is present in both GH:WoR and RB3. Also, the slight variations in Syrinx's vocal from the studio version are identical in both games as well.

blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yusuke wrote:
The cuts of the entire suite are identical in both games. It's most noticable in the solod out guitar part during Overture before the solo. The guitar has a LOT of wah going on, which definitely isn't present on the studio track, and is present in both GH:WoR and RB3. Also, the slight variations in Syrinx's vocal from the studio version are identical in both games as well.

Ah, ok. I never heard the GH:WOR version but had heard that it was a live cut. Thanks for clarifying.
memesis  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and clear the air on the version of this song. It's actually a combination of three different recordings. During the licensing process for GHWoR, we ran into issues with the original masters. Parts were damaged, missing, etc. (I was never clear on what the actual status of the stems were). All I know is that the stems for the Overture were damaged or missing and couldn't be found/repaired for use and there was no alternate studio recording. The problem was the same for the 2nd track, Temple of Syrinx. So the search began for a live version of the Overture that was close enough to the original and what you hear in game is the result. It sounds pretty damn close, but it's just not the same. I'm not certain of what performance the recording was borrowed from, however.

We were more fortunate with Temple of Syrinx. The original was damaged/missing, but the band was able to dig up an alternate studio version with a few minor differences. Fans of the band are sure to notice, the average user most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Fortunately, the remaining tracks in the song were all from the original.

So there you have it. The mystery of 2112 is revealed. A live recording, an alternate studio recording, and the original masters, by their powers combined, yada yada...

Now you know (and knowing is half the battle)

And yes, the RB and GH versions are identical :p
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, that's cool to know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: