FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How many octaves can YOU sing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: How many octaves can YOU sing? Reply with quote

Just post how many octaves you can go. I've hit the "lust" in black magic numerous times, "suns" in Painkiller, and even the "Woo!" in I Got You (I Feel Good) all in original octaves before, but I might be able to go even higher. I'd like to see someone hit Death By Cancer in the original octave. Any other tips on how to increase vocal range?

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high note in take on me is just about as high as I can go, which isn't real high but is not bad for a big dude with a low natural voice.
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lowest I can go is A2, and the highest I can go is whatever I Got You's highest note is (Db6? EDIT: Eb6, actually), so 3 and a half octaves.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs

Last edited by yksi-kaksi-kolme on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
PlatStrat  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest note I've hit without going into my falsetto is the "Tie me to the bedpost" part in Inside Out. With my falsetto, I can hit the high notes in Master Exploder. Considering I'm a bass/baritone I'd say that's pretty good.
MrWednesday  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my keyboard, the highest note I can hit without going falsetto and more or less hold it is either the G or A above middle C---some of the bands that seem to fit my range comfortably are Green Day and Stone Temple Pilots. I think that would put me as a low-ish tenor, which seems right because I was much more comfortable singing tenor than bass in high school musicals.

In general, I avoid singing falsetto because I find it uncomfortable for any extended period. Notable Rock Band exceptions are the bridge in "Creep" (which seems apropos because the original singer also flips to falsetto there) and some of Chris Cornell's high notes in Soundgarden songs (notably in "Blow Up The Outside World"). I've never tried to figure out how high my falsetto goes.
GarethPorlest24  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D2-C5 without falsetto and up to C6 with using falsetto. I've hit up to D6 before though but it's not a consistent thing so I don't count it and I've gone as low as B1, but same thing, not consistent. My comfortable/average range though is G2-G4.
Anexa  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly topics like these are touchy.. you see people saying things like "I have a 3.5 octave range" or some other silly nonsense. Typical human voice is more like 2, 2.5.

Sure, you can extend your range at either end ever so slightly with YEARS of proper singing practice. (to answer the asked question)

I feel it important to mention that range isn't determined just by "what you can hit" (some of you understand at least the concept of falsetto).. there are other factors involved: timbre, vocal weight etc. Threads like these often bring up the subject or question of range.

In order to TRULY assess your range you need a teacher or a vocal coach. You must understand that in the word falsetto there is the word "false". Generally you can tell when you're using falsetto if you have to take some more of "fake" voice to hit a note, be it a chipmunk or Barry White imitation (as in my case).

Quote:
Neither falsetto nor whistle register are counted when defining a singer's range. (falsetto is Italian for "small, false voice.")

My range is C3 (and that is extreme lowness of my range) to D6 (the extreme high). I am a soprano (as determined by a classical singing teacher). I can hit lower.. but I have to take a fake wanna-be man voice to do it. I can go higher, but you can hear I start to lose the power.. it sounds bad. >.<

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come and crap all over your thread or anything. I just feel there are things lots of people don't really seem to know or understand regarding ranges and I'm trying to help inform because you KNOW this thread will eventually get to that point. :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My range is E2 (The lowest I've been able to go, which was the low "be" in the chorus of "I know what I am" when sung an octave lower: Video) to G#4 (The high "But I knoWWWWWWW" before the guitar solo in Nothing Else Matters, which I've managed to hit with a bit of warming beforehand)

So that makes up for 2.25 octaves. Pretty decent, I guess. I've extended it quite a bit since I first started. I never thought I would be able to hit anything higher than a D4 without falsetto...

PS: I can go as high as a G#5 with falsetto, but it doesn't count, so...

Ciao!

zage1337  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D2 to G4 consistently

I have gone as low as C2 (FC'd I Walk the Line original octave once) and can hit B4 in full voice, however it isn't pretty.

Falsetto I can get to F5 consistently, but I have hit some of the extreme high phrases before (More Than A Feeling, Under Pressure, Painkiller, Rock Lobster(lol)) but I rather not go that high if I am actually trying to do an FC run.

Spectrauma  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfortably, F2 to B♭4 in full voice, and up to A5 in falsetto... so roughly 3.3 octaves.

Last edited by Spectrauma on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 am; edited 3 times in total
GarethPorlest24  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarethPorlest24 wrote:
D2-C5 without falsetto and up to C6 with using falsetto. I've hit up to D6 before though but it's not a consistent thing so I don't count it and I've gone as low as B1, but same thing, not consistent. My comfortable/average range though is G2-G4.

Welp time to change this!

My comfortable range is E2-F#4. That's stuff I can hit all the time.

Falsetto wise I can hit up to B5 consistently, sometimes C6..and as high as E6 on a good day.
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the highest I can go is about a full-step above Take On Me's highest note, while the lowest would be whatever the lowest in Life is a Highway is.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
shik4maru  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d say G2-G4, I can sing the whole need you tonight in the original pitch without going into falsetto (But I really had a hard time FCing it that way). Never was curious about how high I could go with falsetto, but I’m pretty sure I cannot hit the highest note of More Than A Feeling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: