FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How long have you guys been playing/drumming?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosho wrote:
Thanks for the input

Would you guys say that it's better to keep pushing forward and getting GS and then going back to relatively easier things (like, GS ride the lightning then going back to tribute for an FC, for example) or work on FCing first?

I would definitely say this.

Practicing things that are especially difficult for you will make you far better in the long run then trying to make sure you don't choke on 1 or 2 notes.

And as for me. I've played since RB 1 came out, but drummed for far longer than that. I think my favorite FC's would either be: Bleed, almost all of Rust In Peace (except for Holy Wars, choke all the damn time) and some other things here and there. And I've GS'ed all the on disc songs except for Visions now, which i doubt i will ever get...
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Knux2007  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing drums for about 4 years, and have been playing Rock Band drums for close to 3 years. I really prefer a real drum set, but I like playing on my stock kit since I can't have a set in my apartment building.

Best RB3 Bass FC so far: Antibodies Bass(7/83)
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much irl experience, but I've played drums off and on since about two years ago. I really only consistently played them roughly two years ago when all my GH/RB games got stolen except for TP 2 (which was still in the PS2 at the time). SO, when I got done with guitar and bass, since I wasn't touching Vocals with a 10-inch pole there was nothing else to do but work on drums.

As of right now, I'd still say I'm very solidly a Hard drummer, with very little hopes of FCing much on expert. I probably could, if I both A.) put myself to work on the Drums'R'Us challenges and B.) Got a PS3 to download songs with and C.) Generally stopped playing guitar and worked on drums (which I stopped doing when my RB1 stock kit's red pad broke off. I bought a new one, but I'm still working on Guitar), but A.) I'm working on the GH side right now and B.) I don't have a PSN name nor the money for a PS3 JUST yet. So I'll stick with Hard drums for now

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Quazifuji  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing very on and off since the summer after RB1 came out and I still have no significant accomplishments to speak of by Scorehero standards (recent things I'm proud of are tying for #1 on the leaderboard for Bounce and GSing Holiday in Cambodia, both on Pro). As you can tell by this thread, where people's skill ends up after a certain amount of practice vary.

Mosho wrote:

Would you guys say that it's better to keep pushing forward and getting GS and then going back to relatively easier things (like, GS ride the lightning then going back to tribute for an FC, for example) or work on FCing first?

Not that I'm the best person to get FC advice from, but I think in general, as Nubnut said, working on challenging things will improve your skills much, much more than working on easier things. Working on harder songs tends to improve your skills in general and makes helps you get better at the easy songs and the hard songs, whereas working on easier songs won't help you nearly as much when you try to tackle the harder songs.

Also, like Hobo111, I remember Wasted Years being considered a very challenging FC. It nearly made the FC list and the person who got it was a top drummer who put quite a bit of time into it.
Mosho  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have problems with bass intense songs, but am pretty agile with hands so I can 99% wasted years pretty good, just have trouble with that single tough roll.
GJB93  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing about 2.5 years ago on RB drums. I got a real drum kit, but I never really played it much, so I sold it last August.

I've only really started getting decent at drums recently. I'm using an RB1 kit that I've had for almost 2 years now. It's still going strong, bass pedal is a bit flappy though!

I started getting decent scores ever since I got RB3, and I'm happily sitting around the #120 mark on the career leaderboard. The best I've ever done is a -1 on Foreplay/Long Time, and that was the last note before the BRE! >.<
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing RB since it came out, and I use an ion kit with the Pearl Demon Drive double pedals hooked up to a yamaha kp65 kick trigger. I'd say I'm more of a death metal guy, but for some reason my chops don't translate as well as they should be to a fake drumset due to me using bubbled up ion pads with Xcell pads making them even worse.

As for real drums, I've been playing for almost ten years now and when I got into my early teens I made it a point to practice three hours daily when I got home from school, so I'd say I've been doing that some five years now maybe (I'm 17 right now). It's kinda hard to do it now due to my work schedule, but I'm always consistent whenever I can be. My real drumming skills obviously surpass my fake skills greatly, but my experience behind a real drumset has definitely helped me out (Taking lessons since I was ten, which helped me out with technique. Believe me, it is a HUGE factor on your playing if you use proper technique. It's not enough to just watch videos on YouTube of how to hold a drum stick >.<). Also, while I'm talking about technique, make sure you don't develop bad habits (Using your arms more than your wrists/fingers, pointing fingers, etc.) Any tips I can give right off the top of my head are make sure you're using your fingers more than your wrists, and your wrists more than your arms. A good exercise I recommend alongside practicing rudiments every day is going one measure of 16th note single strokes (RLRL...) to one measure of paradiddles (RLRRLRLL...) to one measure of double strokes (RRLL) and repeat without pausing.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: