FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by the ION pedal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimen  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by the ION pedal? Reply with quote

I hadn't been able to play RB drums for about 2 years because my old apartment had paper thin walls and floors, but my new place is fine for it.

I set up my ION and realized I had lost my old Destroyer pedal in the move and only had my ION to use. I was thinking "great now I'll have to go out and spend 80 bucks on a new Destroyer and wait weeks to play properly". So, I tried out the ION pedal in the meantime and I find it works great actually. I don't have any issue with hitting the double hit parts in Tom Sawyer, or Panic Attack or the long bass sections of WGFA, Bounce, RTL, etc.

Anyone else use the ION pedal and find it actually works pretty damn good?
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I couldn't use my third-party pedal because it uses a different cable and I ended up not using my IONs for the first couple days until I could go to the store and buy an adapter. That's how bad the ION pedal is.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
Nope. I couldn't use my third-party pedal because it uses a different cable and I ended up not using my IONs for the first couple days until I could go to the store and buy an adapter. That's how bad the ION pedal is.

This is the problem with the ion pedal. Its so different from the others that you either totally hate it or love it to death. I always wanted to try it but the only one i had double hit like crazy. There are definitely lots of good players that swear by the ion pedal so not all that surprised myself to hear of your success with it
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been unpleasantly surprised by how fast this breaks.
gladiators16  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I use the ion pedal all the time, best pedal you can get imo, and it hasn't broke even once

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ION wasn't good for me, unless I played heel-down, which I'm not a fan of.
Destroyer is great, but mine has little to no stability.
Rock Pedal is pretty great, it's the one I currently use, but God forbid I get it out of calibration... that's it's primary flaw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
Daimen  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is actually the 4th pedal I've used (well 5th if you count the stock pedal which sucks imo, but some people use it..didn't the first guy to FC visions use a stock pedal?): Omega, Rock Pedal, Destroyer and ION.

The Omega was good until it broke, but it was really loud.

I didn't care for the Rock Pedal; for some reason I just couldn't get comfortable with it (it seemed to 'stick' at the bottom of hits), but it could just be me not the pedal of course. I'm no IBPH or someguy, but I got Platinum Artist on RB2, so I don't totally suck lol.

The Destroyer is probably the best out of all of them imo, but at least so far the ION is performing really well after 6 months or so, and the extra expense of getting another Destroyer isn't worth it as of right now.
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these that I found at Best Buy for something like 30 dollars. I've used it with stock, GoodWoods, and my IONs; it has never broken, never double-kicked, never "stuck", or had any other issue. KNOCK ON WOOD KNOCK ON WOOD KNOCK ON SO MUCH EFFING WOOD. (And I've even FCed the intro of This Calling with it (), among other sections including the beginning fast bass part of Where The Light Was Born.) I'd suggest looking into it if you've had issues with any other pedals.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
I have one of these that I found at Best Buy for something like 30 dollars. I've used it with stock, GoodWoods, and my IONs; it has never broken, never double-kicked, never "stuck", or had any other issue. KNOCK ON WOOD KNOCK ON WOOD KNOCK ON SO MUCH EFFING WOOD. (And I've even FCed the intro of This Calling with it (), among other sections including the beginning fast bass part of Where The Light Was Born.) I'd suggest looking into it if you've had issues with any other pedals.

I can understand why that would be a decent option, especially considering Koloxid used it when he FCed Good Mourning/Black Friday. Though I heard it breaks a little easily compared to other pedals.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
megallica  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had 4 Ion Pedals

my first one worked great and lasted about a year and a half before breaking

my second and third Ion Pedals broke within a week each

my current one works great

there's a design flaw in it that creates a fairly high probability of it breaking

there's a small metal part that touches the sensor when you push the pedal down, and since it's pretty thin, it is likely to break if you use the pedal alot

other than that, i like the feel of it alot better than my rock pedal, but i haven't tried any other pedals, so i can't really make any comparisons to them

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
there's a small metal part that touches the sensor when you push the pedal down, and since it's pretty thin, it is likely to break if you use the pedal alot.

This.... although mine hasn't broken

Very good pedal, a bit heavy but I got used to it. I've been having trouble with fast double pedals though recently though. Partly because I flat out suck, partly because it IS heavy and doesn't have time to go back up before you hit it a second time (curse that small metal part touching the sensor ).

Owell, still pretty awesome overall
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's loud, clunky, and sticks all the time.

Fuck no.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
ThatOnePerson  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock pedal was decent for some fast parts, but since I got Tama Speed Cobras...

Seeing as you have a PS3, Microsoft points probably won't do you much good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Stealthy Waffle
S4VN01  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FCed This Calling with a stock ION pedal. It broke right after the last bass note of the song. So I have mixed feelings. I've never had my destroyers break on me in the physical sense, but I've had much more problems with them double hitting or not detecting hits at all than I ever did with the ION pedal.
I don't know about you guys, but I as a player of video games - and therefore a musician - am certainly enamoured of the prospect of, next time I begin to play Horrible Night, sitting down with a wide grin on my face as I rub my hands together in glee and shout out to the world "I know your secret! You're in a deceptive time signature!" before failing to hit any notes at all because the song is still balls-out hard.

My Youtube! My Youtube for GD:RB! My Twitter!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: S4VN01
LiveFreeOrDont  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ion stock pedal can be compared to Napoleon Dynamite. there's a fringe group that swears by it while most people simply just don't get it. personally, i don't get it at all (the pedal, not the movie ).

someone already said it's loud and sticks all the time. i couldn't ever get past those two things right there. i'm still using a home reinforced RB1 stock people and i'm dreading the day that it finally gives in. beside the fact that it broke so easily i thought, and still think the RB1 stock is fantastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: