FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Do I need to know how to play the piano to play Pro Keys?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bclare  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, since this seems like a good place to ask: has anyone tried playing Manzarek-style with two keyboards, one of them as Pro Keys and one as Bass (or I guess guitar if you're so inclined)? That would certainly be impressive multitasking, although it'd require you to own two keyboards. Related question: if you have a keyboard of your own and play with the midi adapter, can you do guitar/bass on that?
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Just out of curiosity, since this seems like a good place to ask: has anyone tried playing Manzarek-style with two keyboards, one of them as Pro Keys and one as Bass (or I guess guitar if you're so inclined)? That would certainly be impressive multitasking, although it'd require you to own two keyboards. Related question: if you have a keyboard of your own and play with the midi adapter, can you do guitar/bass on that?

I asked about this before I got my xbox.

The problem is you would only get to play standard bass (GRYBO) and although I think I could manage that, I wouldn't want to.

It would have been nice if you could play the actual bass parts in the left hand instead, ala Ray.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Just out of curiosity, since this seems like a good place to ask: has anyone tried playing Manzarek-style with two keyboards, one of them as Pro Keys and one as Bass (or I guess guitar if you're so inclined)?

I didn't even know the game allowed you to sign in two keyboards. Shows what I know . I've got an MPA on the way in the mail, so once I get that I'll hook up one of my keyboards and try it out.
bclare  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
bclare wrote:
Just out of curiosity, since this seems like a good place to ask: has anyone tried playing Manzarek-style with two keyboards, one of them as Pro Keys and one as Bass (or I guess guitar if you're so inclined)?

I didn't even know the game allowed you to sign in two keyboards. Shows what I know . I've got an MPA on the way in the mail, so once I get that I'll hook up one of my keyboards and try it out.

I guess that's a related question, but since you can play guitar/bass with the keyboard, I kinda assume it's allowed.
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
blingdomepiece wrote:
bclare wrote:

I guess that's a related question, but since you can play guitar/bass with the keyboard, I kinda assume it's allowed.

I was told by a Harmonix mod in one of the official forums that you can play two keyboards at once, and that one would be the keyboard part and the other can play the bass part, but it would be GRYBO bass. Plus, of course it would be on two different profiles, like when you sing and play at the same time.
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyp1e wrote:
I was told by a Harmonix mod in one of the official forums that you can play two keyboards at once, and that one would be the keyboard part and the other can play the bass part, but it would be GRYBO bass. Plus, of course it would be on two different profiles, like when you sing and play at the same time.

Hm, okay. I'm not sure why you say "GRYBO bass" like that's something terrible though, since the only other bass chart is pro bass intended to be played on the squier or mustang, which are stringed instruments, not keyboards. There is no chart that exists for bass keyboard (although for The Doors and a lot of synth-bass songs that would make sense)
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Skyp1e wrote:

Hm, okay. I'm not sure why you say "GRYBO bass" like that's something terrible though, since the only other bass chart is pro bass intended to be played on the squier or mustang, which are stringed instruments, not keyboards. There is no chart that exists for bass keyboard (although for The Doors and a lot of synth-bass songs that would make sense)

I guess my point was that you will not be playing the bass notes for the songs (and yes I was specifically asking about this for Doors material at the time), but color charts with no actual correlation to what is played musically.

At least if the keyboard part were playing the PRO bass charts, you could play the correct notes on the keyboard and have them correlate. That's the part that's a pity.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyp1e wrote:
At least if the keyboard part were playing the PRO bass charts, you could play the correct notes on the keyboard and have them correlate. That's the part that's a pity.

The pro charts don't consist of notes, they consist of fret information. That's why you can't use alternate chord fingerings. A bass chart consisting of actual note pitches would be a new chart.

I suppose if you're enough of a psycho you could put up the pro bass chart, turn on no fail, and try to play it on an actual keyboard by sight .

Anyway I think there would still be utility in playing a GRYBO bass chart with the left hand. Even if you aren't playing the actual notes, you are still being required to play two parts accurately at the same time, one with each hand. The downside is that your left hand will never actually move since it's just five keys.
jhsa  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Just out of curiosity, since this seems like a good place to ask: has anyone tried playing Manzarek-style with two keyboards, one of them as Pro Keys and one as Bass (or I guess guitar if you're so inclined)? That would certainly be impressive multitasking, although it'd require you to own two keyboards.

I'd been planning to try that a long time before RB3 was released. When I finally got the midi adapter, I tried once and found out I need a smaller TV. The two lanes were miles apart... Maybe with enough practice.

Quote:
Related question: if you have a keyboard of your own and play with the midi adapter, can you do guitar/bass on that?

Yes, but on one octave only, C4-G4, C3-G3 is not mapped like on the 2-octave controller.

But that's not all, you can do drums too! Drums are mapped awkwardly though, on a 5 octave keyboard starting from the lowest key going up: C - bassdrum, E - red, G - green, B - blue, D - yellow and pro-hats above those on some black keys (you can look up the exact notes it if curious enough). I did some trainers that way...

How many here do use another keyboard? I settled for my old roland D10, as it's portable and small enough to fit on the table in front of the sofa. I did try my main weighted keyboard (Yamaha S90XS) too, but it's too bulky to be used in my current apartment in front of the tv. The feeling on the keys is from another world though, when compared to the normal controller. D10 not that much, but still better enough.
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Skyp1e wrote:

The pro charts don't consist of notes, they consist of fret information. That's why you can't use alternate chord fingerings. A bass chart consisting of actual note pitches would be a new chart.

I suppose if you're enough of a psycho you could put up the pro bass chart, turn on no fail, and try to play it on an actual keyboard by sight .

Anyway I think there would still be utility in playing a GRYBO bass chart with the left hand. Even if you aren't playing the actual notes, you are still being required to play two parts accurately at the same time, one with each hand. The downside is that your left hand will never actually move since it's just five keys.

Well, the point for me at the time was (and this was well before I actually had the game or any experience with any rhythm games at all) was that I played in a Doors tribute band for like a third of my life. I really didn't figure I would need to learn either part (right hand keyboard or left hand bass) to play the songs. The important thing would have been that the notes I played in the left hand were the actual notes regardless of what the highway had to display. If it was going to be standard five button then any hopes of playing the proper basslines would fly out the window.

Of course I have since been playing the game (just over a month now) and haven't FC'd any Doors songs yet (I only play PRO expert keys), so I'm not so anxious anymore for a left hand chart right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: