FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rock Band 3 Expert Pro Keys 5* Breakdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesse0986  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good at first glance, well done. I think Du Hast is a bit easier than #38--I needed 10 minutes of practice to get comfortable with the chord sustains in the chorus, but after that I was able to five-star it pretty easily--just barely, mind you, but in any case it's possible to do without ever comboing the post-chorus riff. I haven't gotten the five songs you've got ranked before it.

Don't remember WotS's chart all that well but I don't recall having any serious problems with it. I might've two-handed it for convenience, I really don't remember. I'll give it another go and see.

Also, having now five-starred Radar Love and Oh My God, I'll let it be known here that OMG gave me more trouble than RL did.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radar Love still gives me trouble, yet I can't bring myself to rank it any higher than it already is. I think the biggest challenge is that I have no interest in playing it.

Did some shuffling, mostly towards the top, now that I've spent some extended time with the majority of those songs. Mainly tweaks in the end, except that I'm fully convinced that the grace notes in Rehab put it in with the true juggernauts.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rock Band 3 Expert Pro Keys 5* Breakdown Reply with quote

Some random thoughts as I've progressed through the setlist...

googleimage wrote:

19. Crosstown Traffic - Yay overtiering! This one's fairly fast for this level, but very predictable and not too tough on the whole.
28. Something Bigger, Something Brighter - Jeez, is this song overtiered on every freaking instrument? Most of the song is pretty cake octave-shifted single notes. The bridge is tough at first, but has a pretty clear pattern that shouldn't take long to smooth out.

I just got Crosstown Traffic and am not too close on SBSB. I would say they are not as badly overtiered if you use one hand, although SBSB is harder than CT so in that respect it's a bit bizarre.

Quote:

39. Here I Go Again -
40. Midlife Crisis -

Yeah, these are both annoying because they are so sustain-heavy that a single miss costs you a ton of points.

Quote:
41. Cold As Ice - The places to earn points are glaringly obvious slow-chord sections. Those won't be enough for the 5-star. The verse-2 triplets will likely help - they're not nearly as hard as your first play-through would suggest.

I need to work on this one. I practiced the arpeggios of doom a bit but I see there are also some nasty chords in it.

Quote:
42. The Power Of Love - More sparse slow-chord transitions! Except this time, the chords are four notes. 2-handing the song isn't too bad once you've learned it, but 1-handing it is an absolute nightmare.

Not *too* bad. Play thumb-index-middle-pinky. Then move the index and middle up one key each (in the last chorus the pinky stays, the first two it doesn't). The transition down you can use your ring or pinky, I don't even remember for sure which I used. But most of the song outside the last chorus you always have a lot of time before going to B so you can pretty much set up. You won't combo the last chorus without having the muscle memory down though, because the transitions come faster.

Quote:
43. China Grove - Deviltiersayswhat? This harder than average... but barely. There are tons of ways to earn your points on this song - and even more ways to lose them.

I ended up needing 98% notes hit to 5* this so I agree with this ranking.

Quote:
44. Don't Stand So Close To Me - Another one of those songs that seem to require a disproportionately high standard to earn 5 stars. There's very little of substance that you'll likely chain - but other than some truly bizarre 4-note chords, nothing will make you throw your hands in the air either.

Basically if you miss right at the end you are hosed because of those long sustains. I have a -3 run that is 4*, haven't 5* it yet.

Quote:

47. I Need To Know - This one is deceptively tough. Chords move up and down the fret board, and always throw in that one little extra note as a curveball. You need to be on your game for this 5-star.
48. Killing Loneliness - Ugghh. Where to begin with this one. The melody lines are never in a neat pattern, and the transitions into the 2-note chords are deadly. This isn't especially demanding in a technical sense, but it will destroy you if your concentration isn't top-notch.
55. Sister Christian - This song will put your keyboard awareness to the test, as it shifts all over the place, and the chords come in all different shapes and sizes. The easier chorus doesn't quite offer enough on its own.

These ones I have and what they all have in common is I had to learn them section by section in practice mode. Having done that, they seem a little high to me.

Need to Know my high score was 56K, 3*. I went into practice mode and 3 runs alter had my 5* by FCing up to the end of Chorus 2. Killing Loneliness I played for the first time in weeks and got 2*, then went section by section in practice mode and FCed all of them except Verse 2. My next three full runs were 3*, 4*, 5*. (Looking back I should have done one more!).

Sister Christian was for leagues and took a lot more runs but it's definitely learnable. There aren't a lot of sections there that require virtuosity in the sense of speedy runs about the keyboard or whatever, but (for me anyway) you have to play it until nothing is a surprise, you know what's coming up, you have a good idea what path to hit. Once you do that, it's pretty straightforward to get 5*. Some of the other songs around it I simply can't go section by section and FC... there are always sections that kick my ass even slowed down.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched up Fly Like An Eagle and Smoke On The Water - I now think the top 5 are locked into place.

blingdomepiece, you make some very valid points all around. You'll probably be a more reliable indicator of 1-handed difficulty than I, and I'd probably be well advised to weigh that a little more heavily in the rankings. I absolutely agree with you on Sting: I think its current ranking is fairly indicative of how easy it is to earn 5 stars, but not how easy it is to miss 5 stars. I also agree with the 3 songs you identified as a bit high - they're more dependent on familiarity than technical skill and are overall fairly similar in the challenges they offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: