FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Keyboard Difficulty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberRaiza wrote:
So after having done keys for almost a week (ive probably played 3-4 hrs of rb expert keys) i decided to jump into expert pro keys and just get a little feel for what its like. 6 tries on everybody wants to rule the world got me 2 49%s, 1 7%, 1 16%, and two others in the 20s i think.

Is that good, bad, or average?

Is that where you failed, or how many notes you hit when you passed? (It's not as funny a question as it seems, my SR of Beautiful People was 28%, and I passed thanks to OD).

Next time you try the song try playing it with your thumb on G (the second yellow note) for the lower parts and on C (the first blue note) for the choruses. That should get you close enough to pass.

Songs like Combat Baby and The Con might be better places to start, they each also have two hand positions more or less but they're easier.

Just Like Heaven has three hand positions but it's slow, so that's another good one.

For any of these songs it's a good idea to hit the song trainer and learn the basic patterns. Something like Rainbow in the Dark can look pretty confusing on your sightread, but if you put it through the trainer and learn the hand position it's a pretty straightforward FC.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
CyberRaiza wrote:
So after having done keys for almost a week (ive probably played 3-4 hrs of rb expert keys) i decided to jump into expert pro keys and just get a little feel for what its like. 6 tries on everybody wants to rule the world got me 2 49%s, 1 7%, 1 16%, and two others in the 20s i think.

Is that good, bad, or average?

Is that where you failed, or how many notes you hit when you passed? (It's not as funny a question as it seems, my SR of Beautiful People was 28%, and I passed thanks to OD).

Next time you try the song try playing it with your thumb on G (the second yellow note) for the lower parts and on C (the first blue note) for the choruses. That should get you close enough to pass.

Songs like Combat Baby and The Con might be better places to start, they each also have two hand positions more or less but they're easier.

Just Like Heaven has three hand positions but it's slow, so that's another good one.

For any of these songs it's a good idea to hit the song trainer and learn the basic patterns. Something like Rainbow in the Dark can look pretty confusing on your sightread, but if you put it through the trainer and learn the hand position it's a pretty straightforward FC.

yeah i definitely plan to do more easy work and go through the tutorial at least once before i start seriously getting into pro keys i just wanted to get my feet wet. and thanks for the song suggestions.

it was 49% when i failed, sorry

thanks Azuarc, i definitely plan to seriously start with some 0 tier songs.

EDIT: so i got to the pro keyboard trainer. i did simple notes and simple scales, it was really easy and then i got to more "simple" scales and i was dumbfounded. I'm not going to pretend im a good keyboardist (i dont even really play keyboard) by any means or my way is the best, but i know to play a scale (which even RB3 says is 8 notes, C to C for example) by going C D E F G A B C. The way I know the fingerings is 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 for the right hand and 5 4 3 2 1 3 2 1 for the left (1 being thumb, 2 index so on and so forth). so i was surprised HMX has the trainer set up to teach you a scale as 5 notes and make it so you need to memorize when to crossover and which fingers do the sharps for each scale.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but it would seem teaching you the entire scale and only one fingering (two if you count going back down the scale) is easier than showing you parts of each scale. Hopefully some keyboardists will understand what I mean.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
Spectrauma  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They teach you the full scale later. Check the advanced lessons.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberRaiza wrote:
Maybe I'm just stupid, but it would seem teaching you the entire scale and only one fingering (two if you count going back down the scale) is easier than showing you parts of each scale. Hopefully some keyboardists will understand what I mean.

I understand what you mean but I don't think you're right. The fingering you mentioned works great for C Major, but it's not so good for other scales. Generally speaking you want to avoid a cross-over that puts your thumb on a black note because it's awkward. So consider F Major for example. It has only one accidental, so it goes F - G - A - Bb - C - D - E - F. If you use the C Major fingering for that, then you must cross your thumb over to hit Bb, which you will probably find to be fairly awkward. I don't know the official fingering for that scale but I typically play it 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3. In other words I cross over one finger later than C.

(Note: you probably noticed I use 0-1-2-3-4 for thumb through pinky, I hope that isn't too confusing since I saw you like 1-5).

The trainer can be a bit confusing because they tell you to do something but leave it to you to figure out why that's a good idea. But I think they are generally trying to keep your thumb off the black notes when they can, which is why in some cases they have you start a scale with your index on a black note, then hit the next note (a white note) with your thumb.

For a practical example of crossing over differently, if you try the first part of 25 or 6 to 4 in the trainer, there is a bit that goes something like: C - D - E - F# - G - couple other notes - F# quickly five times. I found the best way to hit this was to start with my thumb on C, play C - D, then cross over and play E - F# - G with 0-1-2, and when the fast F# come I hit them with index naturally.

tldr; The cross-over point is different in some cases and should be whatever makes it easiest to play.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes more sense if they later teach you the full scale and i see what they were doing with the fingerings. I know there are many ways to finger everything, but i couldnt use any of their fingerings at least on the fly. There were patterns i played though where i didnt use my previously mentioned fingering either cause it was a little akward, but i think if they did a little more explaining it would be helpful.

Not that its set up badly, just if i were them i would have put something in like this is a suggested fingering, do what feels best for you. i know they say you can use two hands, but i think before they encourage to work around the system they should encourage you to approach it a little differently. I havent finished the trainer but in the end does it help wrap everything up for you and make sure you have a complete understanding of what they teach you or no.

donutz0r  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you as far as trainer goes. It's definitely a helpful tool to get used to scales and chords, but it means very little to people that are new to the keyboard because they don't know what fingerings to use in order to achieve optimal comfort/accuracy.

As far as your fingerings go, the 1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 (and reverse for the left hand) works for every major scale starting on a white key, except for F major.

F+

F - G - A -Bb -C - D- E - F
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 <--- Right Hand
5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 1 <--- Left Hand

As far as using two hands, I would recommend doing as much as you possibly can with one if you're wanting to simulate a piano experience (the left hand isn't charted in any of the songs). Some obvious exceptions like Antibodies or certain sections of Roundabout come to mind, but otherwise all of the songs are capable of being done with one hand. But of course, if using two hands is more enjoyable than using one, use two
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donutz0r wrote:
I agree with you as far as trainer goes. It's definitely a helpful tool to get used to scales and chords, but it means very little to people that are new to the keyboard because they don't know what fingerings to use in order to achieve optimal comfort/accuracy.

As far as your fingerings go, the 1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 (and reverse for the left hand) works for every major scale starting on a white key, except for F major.

F+

F - G - A -Bb -C - D- E - F
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 <--- Right Hand
5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 1 <--- Left Hand

As far as using two hands, I would recommend doing as much as you possibly can with one if you're wanting to simulate a piano experience (the left hand isn't charted in any of the songs). Some obvious exceptions like Antibodies or certain sections of Roundabout come to mind, but otherwise all of the songs are capable of being done with one hand. But of course, if using two hands is more enjoyable than using one, use two

i dont want to use two hands. i think i did accidentally once, it makes me feel dirty. unless they chart songs with two hands then ill do it, but otherwise no.

MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesse0986 wrote:
and it all culminates with Roundabout, whose Keys chart is undoubtedly the toughest chart on any instrument in the game.

Uh, I disagree with this. TTFAF pro and normal guitar, OGaP guitar, Young Man Blues, the Mayhem Pack, and a few other songs say hi.
megallica  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
jesse0986 wrote:
and it all culminates with Roundabout, whose Keys chart is undoubtedly the toughest chart on any instrument in the game.

Uh, I disagree with this. TTFAF pro and normal guitar, OGaP guitar, Young Man Blues, the Mayhem Pack, and a few other songs say hi.

TTFAF and OGaP weren't out when he wrote that (over four months ago)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
MehPlusRawr wrote:
jesse0986 wrote:

TTFAF and OGaP weren't out when he wrote that (over four months ago)

And also by "in the game" I think he was referring to RB3 on-disc songs, where yes, without counting pro mode, Roundabout 5-lane keys is pretty much the hardest thing in the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: