FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I'm a pro and the game is kicking my ass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: I'm a pro and the game is kicking my ass Reply with quote

I got my xbox, RB3 and keyboard controller yesterday evening. I finally figured out this afternoon that my calibration, even though set through the manual menu was WAY off. The "hitbox" was well below the "Now" bar. I've since made some adjustments and things are about 50% better.

Here's the most surprising thing for me though. I'm flailing! lol.

I bought the Doors pack figuring that since I played all the Doors material in a tribute band for ten years that I should be able to cakewalk through all of it. HA! I'm chagrined to say that not only do I overplay (I'm adding all kinds of notes that aren't really there in things like the intro to Light My Fire) but my rhythm is super sloppy (or at least it seems that way). I tend to rush way too much and play the notes early. It's been a bear trying to reel it in.

I'm hoping that this can all be chalked up to over zealousness on my part seeing as I have the system for just about 24 hours now.

I broke a bunch of promises to myself already. For example I told myself that I would get through all the trainers FIRST before attempting songs and that I would learn all the songs the RIGHT way in the practice thingy. Well, I've been jumping headlong into quickplay and doing the career mode challenges instead.

I'll try harder to stick to my original plan and work on the woodshedding more and the performing a bit less.

I'm having a hell of a good time failing all over the place though. Part of me wishes it WAS the breeze that I thought it would be when I was still an outsider looking in, but another part of me is equally happy that this is challenging the living daylights out of me and FORCING me to rethink my playing for the first time in decades.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's Rock Band in a nutshell. Skill for real instruments doesn't equal RB skill.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes a difference when you're forced to play in a style that's outside of your comfort zone. Rather than simply playing, you have to think about what you're playing and how you're playing it. A scrolling screen isn't sheet music - you have to interpret note lengths spatially rather than symbolically; yet it's still rigidly tuned and doesn't allow improvisation. Chances are you'll need to use the song trainers or drop down a notch or two just to get accustomed to the note interpretations and gameplay elements (e.g. hitting glissandos on an RB3 engine, timing overdrive). As with learning to play a song on any instrument, instant proficiency isn't likely.

That being said, the fact that you're even willing to tackle some of those Doors songs means you're doing pretty alright.
malictus  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, getting the calibration settings right makes a HUGE difference. I usually start by doing the auto-calibration, but once I play a few songs I tend to go back and manually tweak things a bit. It can take several playing sessions to get the calibration just right, but once you do it'll make a world of difference.

I came from a musical background too and found myself sort of in the same situation as you. I remember trying Roundabout the first day --- that was a wake-up call, that's for sure!

You have to remember to play 100% perfectly, and robotically. It's a big change, but you'll get used to it.
sycocoaster  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's extremely difficult not to play expressively. It's also very awkward at first to not actually hear the notes you're playing, especially when they place the notes in the opposite direction of the way they actually go along the keyboard. I find myself getting too much into a song and messing up often at times like these. It's a discipline exercise more than a true pianist would like it to be.

You'll get there. The hardest part is just getting used to reading notes in this format. It's like relearning how to read the grand staff. That said, I would do ANYTHING to have standard notation while playing. I'm sure a lot of you would, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sycocoaster wrote:
You'll get there. The hardest part is just getting used to reading notes in this format. It's like relearning how to read the grand staff. That said, I would do ANYTHING to have standard notation while playing. I'm sure a lot of you would, too.

This, I would be able to fc a lot more songs if I could just read the music. The huge challenge is getting used to the way rockband displays the notes plus the calibration.

I had a friend explain it the best for rockband versus real life playing. If you are slightly off or improvise in real life, it actually plays the notes and still can sound good. If you are slightly off in rockband or try to improvise, you get a nice little "clink" and the virtual crowd hates you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twistedoak wrote:
If you are slightly off in rockband or try to improvise, you get a nice little "clink" and the virtual crowd hates you.
Actually, you can turn off the "clink" and the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: