FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help with left hand/arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkw619  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Help with left hand/arm Reply with quote

Okay I have been drumming on a real kit for a few months now as well as Rock Band and I have a question to you amazing drummers out there about left arm stamina. Now I really can't do any sort of beat that requires a strong left arm. I can get through some blasts by kinda BSing through them but I know my left arm is wayyy to stiff. Like lets say I'm doing a ride/snare blast like in Prequel well my right arm is fine on the ride but my left arm is tensing up and not working right. I can do a basic flying fingers on my right while still using my wrist at some points but with the left I can't do anything with my fingers and my wrist stiffens up and I'm just kinda slamming my arm which I know isn't good.

So I'm asking a few things
1. Any suggestions on how to get my left arm to not be so uncooperative? I mean I'm not sure how to change my technique after about a good 8 months of solid playing on my TD-4
2. Do you guys recommend I try to play the game on lefty? I've heard that it does wonders to go through the set on expert on lefty to build up your left arm which I believe will help me but I think it won't help much with my technique problem I seem to be having.

I can do rolls fine for the most part (that I can tell) but when it comes to blasts or other odd beats where my left arm is alone on the snare at a decent speed (faster than scream aim and fire) it seems to just get tense. i was told by a drummer at Sam Ash to sit behind my kit while watching TV or just relaxing and just start to try and doing flying fingers slowly with my left arm and eventually it will build but when I try to do it my arm just gets really tense and it just doesn't seem to have any sort of fluid motion that my right arm does (although my right arm isn't amazing I can hold a decent speed with it without getting tired like slower than "Dammit" is fine but about that speed my arm seems to die.

Another funny thing I should mention.

If I'm doing something like HSF blasts like in the intro I don't notice what I'm complaining about at all. Like if I'm doing something where I am using both hands at the same time like in Visions intro or HSF blasts my right and left arms are in sync and I don't feel the tension in my left arm but once I do something alternating or try practicing with just my left arm everything dies.

Sorry for a long post but I'm really searching for some suggestions here on to get my left side whipped into shape because I am really wanting to improve not only in rock band but real drums because I have such a passion for music and I want to be the best that I can at the drums because they are pretty freaking awesome xD

Thanks everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: vkw619
MusketWarrior  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just your left arm is underdeveloped, nothing complicated. The advice you got is pretty good. I used to have the same problem, now my left hand has more stamina and speed than my right hand. Spend some time practicing flying fingers technique on your left hand, even if it is uneven and slow. Eventually it will become more natural. Also, vary the types of beats you play. Practice both straight beats (i.e. 8th notes with the left hand and quarter notes with the right hand) and blasts.
TopazGrl  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn on lefty mode.

Lol, it sounds silly but I think this is the best thing you can do for left arm development. It'll also help you learn how to get your leg to sync with your left arm and not always with your right. And in addition, it'll give you a better understanding on how to do fills that go from right to left on the set.

Back in the RB1 days, I had a career specifically set to lefty mode and my time spent on that really shows now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice Love Spreads, Two Princes, and Move Along. Those are good left hand building songs. Love Spreads is more of a mental thing, Two Princes will also test your left arm stamina.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: