FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thoughts About Typhoon TYDD-01 E-Drum Kit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeviousBroccoli  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Thoughts About Typhoon TYDD-01 E-Drum Kit? Reply with quote

There's someone local offering a used Typhoon TYDD-01 electronic drum kit. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions about them. I was hoping to get the ION Pro Drum Kit at some point, but seeing as they're not going to produce them, I'm considering alternatives. I've been using RB2/Beatles stock kits since RB2 came out. I'm on my 3rd right now; probably 4th kick pedal. Any competent e-kit would be an upgrade, is what I'm trying to say.

http://www.lamusic.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TYDD-01&Click=12797
http://www.beringmusic.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=192
(Not buying from either of these guys. Just for reference.)

It has MIDI out, 4 pads, and 3 cymbals, which I assume would mean it's pro drum-compatible. No specific price, but the seller's offered a trade that'd probably put it under $300.

Last edited by DeviousBroccoli on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DeviousBroccoli PSN Name: DeviousBroccoli
davidshek  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it, it's another rebranded DD-502 with mylar pads. So expect around that same level of quality and functionality.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that any good? Better or worse than IONs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DeviousBroccoli PSN Name: DeviousBroccoli
davidshek  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeviousBroccoli wrote:
Is that any good? Better or worse than IONs?

Almost exactly the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts About Typhoon TYDD-01 E-Drum Kit? Reply with quote

DeviousBroccoli wrote:
There's someone local offering a used Typhoon TYDD-01 electronic drum kit. [...] No specific price, but the seller's offered a trade that'd probably put it under $300.

If it makes a difference, Roland has extended through February their $200 rebate on their TD-4S drum sets. I got mine brand new last week for $620 after rebate (plus shipping), and I love it. The drum module sounds terrific when I'm just practicing through headphones, the mesh snare head is unbelievably sensitive (actually, ALL the pads are incredibly responsive), the rack is solid as a rock... Man, I should've gotten one of these a long time ago. I had looked at used Roland and Yamaha drums, but with the rebate the TD-4S is actually cheaper than most used TD-3/TD-6/DTExpressII drum sets I found on eBay or Craigslist, and it has the latest and greatest sounds in its module. Plus, new in the box--no wear & tear.

It may be overkill if you're only using it for Rock Band, but I thought I'd throw that out there as another option.
DeviousBroccoli  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trading part is the main appeal. I don't necessarily have $300 cash to toss at drums, but I can manage within a trade. Assuming I found the place you bought from, I'm guessing that'd be at least $900 up front once it reaches Canada--well out of reach for me. As it happens, there's another local seller with a used TD-4S kit. Only $1,250!

Judging from a few things I've read and watched, the TYDD-01/DD-502 seems like it might be pretty loud on the pads and kick, lacking bounce, missing hits on the cymbals, and not super reliable. Though they're presumably comparing to other e-kits. All I've ever used are the RB1 and RB2 stock drums. Is it safe to say even a value e-kit is going to be better than those? I know a lot of people moving up to the IONs have said it's a significant improvement.
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500? You may as well get a TD-4 through that rebate program as mentioned, or get a Yamaha DTXplorer. I have a DD-502 kit (basically the same thing you're looking at) and it isn't bad as an entry level e-kit. The heads will be plastic though (idk if it's mylar for the ones you linked), it feels similar to my iONs. The rebound will be good, but there's better out there. Yes, it is loud for an e-kit. Cymbals are okay, not the greatest though. Find a way to sell that kick trigger/pedal. I can't stand either on mine (which is a Roadie Kick Rocker and the pedal it comes with). Get a KP65 and a decent pedal like a DW or Pearl.

Final Verdict: Read first sentence.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
DeviousBroccoli  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the RB1 kit would be louder than these, since they were about the worst things ever. But how about compared to the RB2 kit? How about rebound?
Bold  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeviousBroccoli wrote:
The trading part is the main appeal. I don't necessarily have $300 cash to toss at drums, but I can manage within a trade. Assuming I found the place you bought from, I'm guessing that'd be at least $900 up front once it reaches Canada--well out of reach for me.

Ahhhh, Canadia! I'll speak slower, and end my reply with "eh".

Yeah, I think a trade for the drums you mentioned would be a good move. You'd still need some type of MIDI adapter (an "official" Rock Band MIDI Pro Adapter, or a cheap GHWT drum module off of eBay, etc.), but they may actually be a handy thing to have: my sole complaint with the ION drums was the lack of sensitivity, but I suspect with a separate drum module you could ramp that up, if necessary.

In any event, I think it would be a huge improvement over a RB1/RB2 drum set. Eh?
mbnasir6  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeviousBroccoli wrote:
I'm assuming the RB1 kit would be louder than these, since they were about the worst things ever. But how about compared to the RB2 kit? How about rebound?

Nope these will be louder than the RB1 + RB2 Drum Pads put together, but rebound will be AMAZING
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: