FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
buying new cymbals soon, should i get pintechs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: buying new cymbals soon, should i get pintechs... Reply with quote

... or ION stock cymbals, or something else entirely?

I've had my ION for a little over a year now, and it's great, but the cymbals are shot at this point. My crash rattles, my ride overhits, and my hihat underhits. All of them have screws in them that are missing heads.

In your opinion, are Pintechs worth it if "all" I do is play a ton of Rock Band? What do they cost, and how easy are they to mount on the ION rack?

Is there another option I might consider?
TopazGrl  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pintechs are cheaper than Ion cymbals so definitely go with that lol.

Pintech
Ion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Pintechs for my blue and green cymbals and I'm very happy with them. Their standard clamp attached to the ION rack with no problems, and I've never had an issue with dropped or doubled hits. I bought mine from New England Music Supply, which I would also recommend.

The price was the only real downside for me. I had to buy a clamp and arm for each cymbal, which added to the cost. All told, I probably shelled out $150 or so for the whole setup.

I use the Roadie "third cymbal" thing as my high-hat, and like it a great deal as well. It's made of much stiffer stuff than the Pintech TC and PC cymbals I have, and gives a decent rebound (which the Pintechs don't). If you're replacing all three, I'd definitely look into getting one for the high hat, as it's cheaper and better suited to that particular occupation.
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harimwakairi wrote:
I had to buy a clamp and arm for each cymbal, which added to the cost.

Do you need to buy the clamp and arm if you already have the ION ones, or will the ION mounting hardware work with the Pintechs?

<- is completely ignorant about e-drums
Harimwakairi  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with that myself, but I've heard that they'll mount on the ION arms just fine. This post on the Rockband forums:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210233&page=1

seems to back up the theory as well.
Kaelaen  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, as can be seen in my videos the pintech cymbal mounts on the ION arm just like a regular ION cymbal. I don't have any of those fancy felts and whatnot listed in the above mentioned forum post. As for the actual cymbal, I've yet to see mine overhit or drop notes in the 1.5 years I've had it (although it does crosstalk my red pad a lot, but that's because I have to play around with the placement on the arm more and my red is a little oversensitive.)

In my opinion though, the lack of rebound should really be highlighted. Something to definitely keep in mind. It's akin to hitting a memory foam mattress - I went ahead and removed the original foam and glued a lazily cut-out ION gum rubber to give it some pretend rebound. It will lose its quietness, but it won't make your arms as tired in my opinion and the increased vibrations that were prevented by its horrible foam means it becomes more sensitive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Pintech as my yellow for a few months and I've been very happy with it. I haven't noticed any dropped notes or double hits, and it's much quieter than the ION cymbals... not actually quiet, but the sound of hitting foam is generally much nicer than the rattling sounds my ion cymbals make anyway. I got one that came with mounting equipment and the washer wasn't thick enough so I had problems with it spinning around on its own initially, but I fixed that by adding a layer of this felt stuff I had lying around and the ion color circle, and now it's fine.

The lack of rebound is definitely worth noting, but so is the fact that real cymbals don't have any rebound, so if you're going for realism this is actually a good thing. Personally, it hasn't bothered me at all. I was worried about it because I was used to the rebound of the ION pads and cymbals, but I've found I can generally hit pretty fast rolls on the Pintech just fine, without the equipment or the lack of rebound getting in the way.

I've also heard good things about the Roadie cymbals - they're cheaper than the Pintechs, and from what I hear they have rebound and are quieter and more reliable than the ION cymbals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: