FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PMs and Getting Banned

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: PMs and Getting Banned Reply with quote

Stuff underlined is the "staples" so you could say, if you dont feel like reading it all (it is a lot) feel free to skim it or use the bolded parts to get the gist of it.

I think this is the right forum but feel free to move it if its not. So i have two complaints with scorehero right now (its perfect otherwise).

1. Sometimes it''s hard to see when you have a new Private Message.
2. Scorehero doesn't tell you what you're banned for when you get banned.
Allow me to explain.

Well, to explain the first point. I'm primarily looking at the center of the screen (where there are posts/the topics are listed depending on which page you're on) and the left (where you can navigate from page to page) so sometimes it can be a little difficult to see if you've gotten a new private message. It's not a big deal but other forums I've been on usually bold a new private message/make its font bigger/change the color etc.

I just think because scorehero is set up so i would think you would mostly be leaning towards the left of the screen maybe slide the toolbar thing over a bit or make it a bit more noticeable.
Not a huge deal, just mentioning it.

For the second problem, I'm sure many of you know or will be unsuprised to find out that I have been banned several times (3 i believe, 2 that i definitely know of).

It's a little frustrating to be banned and have no idea why you're banned
. Like one time back in one of the DLC announcement threads (this must have been like a year ago) me and a few other people were complaining of a lack of metal dlc and it started a huge arguement and i guess after a couple pages i was one of the few people left arguing and i went to make a post. i had to go do something so i came back like 10 minutes later, finished the post and post it. then i left my computer to go do something, checked back in like 5 or 10 minutes to see any responses in the conversation and i was banned for like two weeks (i think, maybe 3). i was befudled.

I wait out the two weeks patiently (i may have filed an appeal, i may not have i forget) and then i went back on the site to try to find out why i was banned so suddenly. after digging around the thread i had found out while i was making that last post i guess one of the mods had posted saying if i posted again i would be banned (which of course i couldnt see because i was making a post) and he/she had pmed me the same thing (again i couldnt see it because of posting im assuming or maybe he has sent the pm earlier and i didnt see it cause its hard to see, idk). So he of course, saw me blatantly defying him/her and felt justified to ban me for 2 weeks (which from his/her point of view wasn't incorrect to do).

I'm pretty sure i laughed cause it was a funny bit of confusion albeit agitating. But, miscommunications aside (i wouldn't blatantly be a dick to a mod and keep going after they told me to stop honest. thats like a cop pulling you over cause u were going 80 in a 60 zone and you start talking to him about what you and his wife did last night/something dumb like that) when you get banned it's a little more comforting to see what you got banned for and either say thats bs im gonna appeal or say you know i did kind of get deserved to be banned. Trust me, im a pro at getting banned.

Thank you for the time and if anyone reads all that shittons of props to you.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: PMs and Getting Banned Reply with quote

I guess the question is, have you ever been banned in a situation where you couldn't figure out after the fact what you must have done? Questions like "Why was I the only one banned" or whatever is (to use the same analogy) like complaining that you got pulled over from a pack of speeders. Yeah, it does suck for you, but you were speeding. Even if the cop doesn't say they have pulled you over for speeding, you know.

I know from experience (many years ago) what it's like to treat a message forum like an arena where every thread is a competition and a chance to show my debating skills. But eventually you have to ask yourself how you are improving the community and what you are contributing. If the answers are "I'm not" and "nothing", and you don't actually want to go through life as a troll, then at some point you try to adjust your attitude and learn to pick your spots. The world is a large, crazy place. It doesn't have to know your opinion on every issue and in the long run it doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong, or whether anyone else is either. Do you want people cringing every time they see your name appear in a topic, or do you want them reading your post because you other posts have made your point of view interesting to them?

Talking about how visible private message notifications are, or what kind of communication you get when you're banned, is taking the focus off the actual issue that needs to be addressed. That issue is the decision making process that occurs before your fingers hit the keyboard. You're a bit of a confrontational guy so I can see this post making you go off, but I hope you will think about it instead. I won't be getting into any arguments over it. I have no vested interest in changing your behavior, but I would feel bad if you got permanently banned at some point before figuring this all out.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PMs and Getting Banned Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I guess the question is, have you ever been banned in a situation where you couldn't figure out after the fact what you must have done? Questions like "Why was I the only one banned" or whatever is (to use the same analogy) like complaining that you got pulled over from a pack of speeders. Yeah, it does suck for you, but you were speeding. Even if the cop doesn't say they have pulled you over for speeding, you know.

I know from experience (many years ago) what it's like to treat a message forum like an arena where every thread is a competition and a chance to show my debating skills. But eventually you have to ask yourself how you are improving the community and what you are contributing. If the answers are "I'm not" and "nothing", and you don't actually want to go through life as a troll, then at some point you try to adjust your attitude and learn to pick your spots. The world is a large, crazy place. It doesn't have to know your opinion on every issue and in the long run it doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong, or whether anyone else is either. Do you want people cringing every time they see your name appear in a topic, or do you want them reading your post because you other posts have made your point of view interesting to them?

Talking about how visible private message notifications are, or what kind of communication you get when you're banned, is taking the focus off the actual issue that needs to be addressed. That issue is the decision making process that occurs before your fingers hit the keyboard. You're a bit of a confrontational guy so I can see this post making you go off, but I hope you will think about it instead. I won't be getting into any arguments over it. I have no vested interest in changing your behavior, but I would feel bad if you got permanently banned at some point before figuring this all out.

I have thoroughly read your post and it won't set me off (Attention forum: a crisis has been averted, cyberraiza is not going to start an arguement xD). And as intelligent of a post as it is, as well contructed and insightful as it is, as enlightening as it is (this is NOT sarcasm) I feel it doesn't quite address the point I'm getting at.

I'm saying that its frustrating being banned and not being able to figure out what you were banned for. In the example i mentioned above it was hard for me to figure out why i was banned as i had seen no warning. i mean it kind of obviously has something to do with that thread because it was the only thread i was commenting in at the time of my banning, but it would be helpful if maybe the mods could attach to the "You have been banned..." message the part of the code of the cunduct/regulations whatever that you broke. Like it helps you make an informed decision in the appeal process (or rather whether to appeal). like i said if there had been, attached to the banning message, an explantion that a mod pmed me and posted telling me to stop and i didnt i possibly would have appealed and explained how i never saw these message, but if the message said you were banned for helping to almost derail the thread/arguing i would have been like well they got me on that. im not gonna file an appeal. i dont think im describing this too well, let me offer another example.

My most recent ban was for a week and it ended the 23rd i believe. I had been discussing (you could say arguing) in the un-fced guitar thread about how songs could pose a challenge and why we should keep the un-fced thread. i was also speculating/aruging in the RB3 thread about why there was no muse (as many people were, although I took a somewhat anti HMX opinion making people possibly inadvertantly on some mental level designate me as "the bad guy". i think u were there blingdomepiece so you hopefully remember/remember anything ive forgotten). both threads the arguements on both sides were kept civil (if a little accusatory). i dont think i did much posting in other threads (outside of normal, non-confrontational stuff) but i got banned. i didnt know why i had been banned and when i was unbanned and tried to find out i had recieved no message or pm from a mod at all. im assuming a mod saw the arguing and decided to ban me (and possibly other people, i have no way of knowing) to cool things down which is fine, i understand.

All im saying is if people are going to get banned they should be informed of why they're banned, if not for peace of mind then for the ability to make an educated decision in the whether to appeal or not.

EDIT: i forgot to address your post. i know some people may cringe when they see my name, but i cant imagine the majority of the forum would. some people have said they have never seen me in any thread doing anything but arguing, but i know i have contributed before. a few days ago machetemonkey came into a thread saying he usually thinks i go overboard, etc. but in that case he agreed to me and thought i was being rational.

i may not be the most popular, but i think if i were to ask myself if i contribute or hamr the answer would be contribute. almost any arugment i have isnt meant to be me debating and showing off or trying to prove im right. most of the time im just discussing productively although i feel often it may not come across this way and thus people get angry with me and they're posts come across as more confrontation resulting in me reutnring the favor and its downhill from there.

i mean i dont contribute as much to the forums as like barfo, invader, or you for example (just three people i could think of), but if for example tomorrow scorehero were to hold a poll to get me banned/ask me to leave the forums i would be legitimately shocked if most people thought i should leave as i dont contribute.

i hope that somewhat addresses your post. uggh, my brain is not that sharp right now.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PMs and Getting Banned Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Talking about how visible private message notifications are, or what kind of communication you get when you're banned, is taking the focus off the actual issue that needs to be addressed.

Certainly. However just as a general ease-of-use thing, I wouldn't mind if SH did something to make the PM inbox more noticeable. I've gotten PMs sometimes and not noticed for a week or two, even though I come to the forum every day. A notification when you get to the website that there's a PM for you would be enough.
toopskittles  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

under preferences i have "notify me when there's a new private message" on and when i have one and log in a little pop up window comes up saying i have a pm

ricecake  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toopskittles wrote:
under preferences i have "notify me when there's a new private message" on and when i have one and log in a little pop up window comes up saying i have a pm

I do as well, but I also have a pop-up blocker on my browser. However, I do get the bar at the top of the window saying a pop-up has been blocked, which works just as well

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyber, I think the fact that you had BIIIG quote tunnels (at least in the Un-FCed thread) was a factor in why you were banned. I don't know how big, or if that was even thought about, but looking at Woozer's post in there I think I can reasonably say that she was probably considering that.

Ricecake: I usually ignore that, though, so that's not really a good indicator of a PM. Even if that's probably the only thing it'll block on SH.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. As others have mentioned, if you have pop-ups enabled on ScoreHero you should get a pop-up with a link to your Inbox every time you receive a new PM. Although considering how long you've been a member, I can't imagine that it's too difficult to know by now to check the top of the forums page for new messages.

2. We do have the ability to set a message to appear upon banning, and we often do.

I also can't tell if you're trolling here or not, but a message was set upon your last ban which you should have seen. I just tested the ban message functionality and can confirm that it's working as intended.

Since you've decided to make this public, here's the message:
    "This is for your general behavior, which is mostly taking place in the RB3 thread as you stir up stupid arguments and then attack people or complain when they disagree, but the final straw was this comment in the RB3 thread after someone got onto you for constantly complaining about everything: "DID YOUR BOYFRIEND GIVE IT TO YOU TOO HARD LAST NIGHT?"

THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE BEFORE A PERMANENT BAN.
    Do not come back and repeat this behavior."

Seems very clear to me - and even if you somehow didn't get the above message, it excuses nothing. blingdomepiece has good advice to think about your contributions and how others will perceive your posts before submitting them. You've been here a while and I do hope that you learn before it's too late.

Locking this as your 2 complaints have been addressed and there's nothing more to discuss in a public setting.

CyberRaiza wrote:
Trust me, im a pro at getting banned.

Not something to laugh or be proud over, and your chances have run out if it happens again.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: