FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
9/7/10 DLC - Snoop Dogg 8-Pack!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Libb  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberRaiza wrote:
I believe DLC inst even rated by the ESRB or whatever, I'm sure HMX chooses to censor a little more than they absolutely have to which I think it should be the other way around, censor as little as you absolutely must.

So here's how the ESRB thing works from what I understand. When a game offers online functionality of any kind, including downloadable content, they must put "Online experience may vary" somewhere on the box and advertising alongside the ESRB rating. With this disclaimer in place, they don't need to submit DLC content to the ESRB for separate rating - HOWEVER, this is because it is considered to be covered under the blanket rating of the over-arching game product. Thus, even though Rock Band 2 downloadable content does not have to be rated separately, it MUST conform to the same ratings guidelines as the Rock Band 2 disc product (in this case, rated T for Teen).

If Harmonix released an uncensored track that contained content that would be considered M or AO, the ESRB could make a decision to raise the rating for the Rock Band 2 disc to M or AO in turn. This actually happened once, although not with downloadable content - the Hot Coffee controversy with GTA: San Andreas was based on additional content, not accessible to players out of the box without some form of modification. The ESRB rates the ENTIRE software product - even if not everyone can access certain content, it is still considered in the overall rating.

(On a side note, this is why the whole Lego Rock Band Music Store divide exists. Even if you download content from another game and import it into the new game, if it doesn't meet the content restrictions of the lower-rated game, that game could get its rating raised.)
ricecake  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the "Online experience may vary" part is to cover the case of playing with people online, since HMX can't make people not scream obscenities.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, but here's an update on the situation:

hmxhenry wrote:
Hey gang, sorry for the delayed response. I was following up with the Audio team about this throughout the day yesterday and wanted to make sure I had as much info as possible before posting an update.

So here's the issue: some info from the Juliana Hatfield song announced today somehow made it into the Snoop Dogg DLC submission that came out this week. There is just enough info to piggy back on Drop It Like It's Hot (and shouldn't affect any other Snoop songs or the pack, so please reply if you downloaded the pack and still got the Hatfield song) and prop the file name for Juliana Hatfield's Nirvana. You should not be able to play this song, and as many of you have pointed out it will in all likeliness crash RB2 if you try to play it.

Here's what we have for solutions right now:

1) You can buy the Juliana Hatfield single when it's released next week and it should overwrite the incomplete file.

2) We will resubmit Drop It Like It's Hot to Sony, but it will take several weeks to make it through their resubmission pipeline. Once the track is resubmitted successfully you should be able to redownload without any problems and the incomplete Hatfield data will disappear.

3) The most immediate solution, and the least enjoyable, would be to delete and redownload your entire DLC library except for Drop It Like It's Hot and wait for the resubmitted version.

If you plan on picking up the Hatfield track, Option 1 is the way to go. If you don't want the Hatfield track and you can avoid the incomplete file for the time being, Option 2 will be the easiest solution. If you absolutely positively have to be rid of the Hatfield track now and have no desire to download it in the future and you find yourself continually tempted to try to play a song that doesn't work, then Option 3 is the quickest fix.

I hope that info helps. I'll keep you posted on the resubmission process and let everyone know when the Hatfield free version of Drop It Like It's Hot is available in the store. Thanks all for your patience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to download this...
Hell, I love the doggfather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: