FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bob Marley's Legend Full Album DLC 9/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazor wrote:
nextlevel88 wrote:
Quazifuji wrote:

considering that RB3 DLC does not work in RB2,

I agree that this is true and well-documented, but how is it that Green Day plays in both just fine? Apparently Rock Band 2 can ignore some things that it's not compatible with.

the only extra feature Green Day has is harmonies, RB3 DLC will have an extra audio stem for keys, which is probably the main issue.

QFT. It's possible they could chart harmonies before RB3, but keys is a no go because of the extra audio stem. Ironically, pro guitar and pro bass are the most time consuming charts to actually author (according to Harmonix, which makes sense) yet they are the easiest ones to add from a technical perspective. It's literally just another guitar/bass chart, like a different difficulty. The same animation and lighting data and audio stem apply.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorkmasterFlek wrote:

QFT. It's possible they could chart harmonies before RB3, but keys is a no go because of the extra audio stem. Ironically, pro guitar and pro bass are the most time consuming charts to actually author (according to Harmonix, which makes sense) yet they are the easiest ones to add from a technical perspective. It's literally just another guitar/bass chart, like a different difficulty. The same animation and lighting data and audio stem apply.

Funny that a patch to RB2 couldn't tell it to ignore the audio stem, if that's really all it is.
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextlevel88 wrote:
DorkmasterFlek wrote:

Funny that a patch to RB2 couldn't tell it to ignore the audio stem, if that's really all it is.

But you can't just ignore the audio stem. In fact, it's entirely possible the game might do that by default anyway if you plugged in a random extra audio stem. You would lose the keyboard audio entirely. You would have to specifically look for it and just play it all the time along with the background audio. There are two problems with this:

1. The mixing will likely be off. The playable parts are generally mixed higher so they stand out and you can hear what you're supposed to be playing along with. This isn't a huge issue though.

2. They have stated that the format is different enough that RB1/2 will no longer support new RB3 DLC, so clearly there are probably more format differences than we know. Yes, maybe they just want to push people to buy RB3 (not that it needs any help really) and don't want to go through the trouble of patching RB1/2 to support new DLC for a minority of the player base that refuses to upgrade (or can't for some reason). But I have to think that if it was really that simple, they would patch the older games to maintain support. We have no idea how the engine actually works, so it may be that adding an extra audio stream in the RB1/2 engine completely breaks things. All we know is that they aren't doing it, so that's pretty much end of discussion right there.

In the end though, it doesn't matter one bit. They have stated that DLC with keys will not come out until the day that RB3 is released, and that RB3 DLC going forward will not work with RB1/2, so therefore this DLC cannot possibly have keys in it when it is released. It's possible that they're planning on upgrading it with RB3, but again I have two issues:

1. There's nothing to indicate that they're planning to do this at all. It's just blind hope.

2. If they are planning to do this, why bother even releasing it this close to RB3? Why not delay it a month and just release it with all the new features?

Like I said before, the timing on this doesn't make sense. Given the statement at PAX that they will "probably" do this for a selection of the back catalogue at some point, but it's "not on [their] radar" at the moment, I have to assume the worst for this particular album.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBA has a new post with some new info pretty much confirming the Marley DLC. Not that it was really disputed or anything, but eh.

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorkmasterFlek wrote:

Like I said before, the timing on this doesn't make sense. Given the statement at PAX that they will "probably" do this for a selection of the back catalogue at some point, but it's "not on [their] radar" at the moment, I have to assume the worst for this particular album.

I know what you're saying, I saw all the 'new format' talk and all that. I'm just in denial I guess. This is pretty stupid, but it's not the only stupid thing they've done recently that I'm willing to overlook. Bring on the "poorly-timed-yet-awesome-nonetheless" album please.
BathTub  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with stems is a bit of a red herring simply because we know the game handles various numbers from song to song anyway. Back when the format was first unlocked it was easy to see that something ancient like Gimme Shelter had minimal number of tracks (including multiple instruments on the 1 track) where as something like Disturbed had more individual tracks for the drummer than the entire Rolling Stones song had used for everything.

This doesn't prove anything one way or another, just saying.

Personally I think this confirms that HMX has some sort of upgrade system in place. Like buying a general pack, and then for an extra fee you can download an add on to it with the 'extra' data in it. Useful for the 'pro-guitar/bass' add-ons for post RB3 DLC and upgrading existing DLC. I just hope they aren't going to be too expensive.
Sonic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200898

hmxhenry wrote:
Hey gang,

Here's the DLC coming at you next week! It's a healthy does of reggae, long over due in Rock Band, courtesy of one of the genre's most beloved icons. We'll be seeing Get Up, Stand Up on disc for RB3, but to tide you over here's the rest of Bob Marley and the Wailers' epic album Legend. Enjoy!

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (Sept. 21):

“Is This Love” +
“No Woman No Cry” +
“Could You Be Loved”
“Three Little Birds” +
“Buffalo Soldier”
“Stir It Up”
“One Love/People Get Ready”
“I Shot the Sheriff”
“Waiting in Vain” +
“Redemption Song”
“Satisfy My Soul” +
“Exodus”
“Jamming”

(All tracks are original master recordings)

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 system Sept. 22)

These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks, as well as “Legend (Album)” on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system and as individual tracks on Wii. Tracks marked with “+” will also be available for download in the family-friendly LEGO® Rock Band Music Store.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song

$19.99, £9.99 UK, €14.99 EU (1600 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for Legend (Album)

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!!!!!!
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BathTub wrote:
The problem with stems is a bit of a red herring simply because we know the game handles various numbers from song to song anyway. Back when the format was first unlocked it was easy to see that something ancient like Gimme Shelter had minimal number of tracks (including multiple instruments on the 1 track) where as something like Disturbed had more individual tracks for the drummer than the entire Rolling Stones song had used for everything.

This doesn't prove anything one way or another, just saying.

Actually, the drum tracks being different is because the game supports multiple different setups for those tracks. The most common one is separate tracks for snare, hi-hat and kick, and a combined track for everything else. But there are other options available. Check the RBN documentation for a full rundown.

On drums, when you miss a note, only the associated track can cut out, if they have it separated to that degree. When it comes to the other instruments, there is one vocal track, one guitar track, one bass track, and now with RB3 there will be one keyboard track. The entire track cuts out when you miss a note. There is one other track for "everything else", which plays all the time. This is any background parts that aren't charted, like say for example, keyboards in earlier songs. There is also an optional "crowd singalong" track, but AFAIK, the only variation in number of tracks with existing content is on the drum stem setup, or the complete lack of one track if there is no part, which so far is only vocals.

The issue with adding keys is the addition of an entirely new audio stem which has gameplay implications.
DougieDougDoug  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Smith's This Charming Man and Marley's Redemption Song are both in my top ten favourite songs, this is the best fortnight of DLC ever- and I say this of a game that has already given me a shitload of Coheed, which I adore.

How fitting it is then that this is the only time in my life I've ever faced financial difficulties Roll on Christmas...

PriestMLH? He's a rubber chicken with robotic guitar playing giblets.

Unless you are a volcanic robot from space or a chicken with robotic giblets, don't compare yourself to those folk. Each accomplishment is an accomplishment, no matter what people before you did.

[12:44] Kiriyama: Knights of CYDOOOOOOONIA- Cough medicine, with clout!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: CuriousJewbeard
Indianajo75  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this is finally confirmed! Going to be playing the shit out of this all day Tuesday!

FC Any Way You Want It - [-3]
FC Afterlife - [-10]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Eccles Rose PSN Name: -
toymachine  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Woman No Cry is Live.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
No Woman No Cry is Live.

I thought we already knew this, since it is a live version on the Legend album.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorkmasterFlek wrote:
2. If they are planning to do this, why bother even releasing it this close to RB3? Why not delay it a month and just release it with all the new features?

There is a benefit concert being put on by the Marley family later this week. Maybe they insisted on releasing it this week? I know it's a stretch...but still hoping HMX has an ace up their sleeve.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My completely baseless speculation is that they already have the keyboards and harmonies charted and they are releasing this now so they can very quickly go "look we're upgrading old dlc too"
LyokoFreaks  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
My completely baseless speculation is that they already have the keyboards and harmonies charted and they are releasing this now so they can very quickly go "look we're upgrading old dlc too"

My baseless speculation has always been that they've been charting harmonies, keyboard and pro-mode stuff this whole time and will release the extra parts as a patch or paid DLC or something after RB3 comes out. Oh how I dream...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LyokoFreaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: