FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Freaking Abbreviations.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlashYourFug  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Freaking Abbreviations. Reply with quote

This is ridiculous. I thought about saying something every time I see it, but I quickly realized that it's in every single topic, almost every post.

STOP ABBREVIATING SONG NAMES! Is it really that hard to type out the full name and save everybody else a hell of a lot of trouble?

I've had to look through the set list to find out what the hell people are talking about. I mean seriously, how much time do you spend figuring out what the abbreviation is when you could just type it?

It's not a lot of work. Watch this!

Green Grass and High Tides
Run to the Hills
Won't Get Fooled Again

Wow! How am I doing that?!

You don't even need to capitalize. Just type things out. It's stupid to make everybody else suffer because you're lazy.
k3v227  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3196

There you go, now stop complaining and get with the program :P'

Just to be clear, I'm not going to stop abbreviating, and I highly doubt that anyone else will, so if you plan on posting on these boards for a while and still want to maintain your sanity, I suggest you look at that thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that thread. It's pure bullshit. It's like carrying around a dictionary.

I know I'm not going to make a big difference by trying to tell people how fucking ridiculous it is, but if I can make any, I'll be happy.

Oopsie! Did I just abuse the FR&UA? Add that one to your list, assholes.
nivlac  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait.... you're pissing a fit about abbreviations and that makes the rest of the community assholes? Interesting logic, but the last time I checked the user adapts to the community, not the other way around.

Considering that most of us have already typed out "Green Grass and High Tides" 74+ times already we'd prefer to go with the shorter version. Add to that the fact that 99% of the userbase will learn the abbreviations (refer to paragraph 1) and somehow will not bitch about it in the process.

So why be a dick about it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we do this over on the GH side a while ago? Why, yes we did.

Someone came up with an idea that suits everyone - it's not unreasonable to use abbreviations but, out of courtesy, it's not really hard to type the full title the first time you use it in a post... that way everyone's happy.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like the abbreviations, but we have to live with it. Even I started abbreviating words after getting sick of typing long names out.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
CrackerRiley  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a annoyingly (that's a word?) long name I will abbreviate but lately I've been spelling everything out to kinda "boycott" the abbreviations here, haha. I even spell out full combo now. Something you will never see here, thats for sure.

I had no quarrel with you until you had to start flaming everyone. I was actually on your side. It that really necessary? Yes, it is hard to deal with the abbreviations sometimes, but you just have to learn to live with it and adapt to the community like nivlac said.

Now the only time I've really got mad/frustrated with abbreviations was when Lo7 used EWWS in his latest accomplishment thread. How many people are going to know that one?! It literally took me more than a day to figure it out since I didn't realize the title isn't even english!
youhas  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that the "we have an abbreviations thread, just use that" is kind of a glib non-answer. That sort of plays into an elitist "we expect you to have encyclopedic knowledge of every song in the game, DLC included, and if you don't, screw you" sort of mindset, which is not really user- or community-friendly.

People are going to keep using abbreviations, sure. And if a title or community phrase is especially well-known, that's probably going to be tacitly acceptable - hey, GGAHT and TTFAF are marquee songs, and terms like FC and DLC are pretty much omni-present. But for most other references, I do encourage folks to at least type out the full song title one time, so casual posters have at least some idea what the hell you're talking about. (This goes double in accomplishment threads. If you can't be bothered to spend the three extra seconds to inform me what I'm supposed to be impressed by, it's not like I really have a ton of incentive to go hunting for that information on my own....)

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Ouzo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlashYourFug wrote:
assholes

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I agree to a point. Songs that are discussed a lot like Green Grass and High Tides and Through The Fire and Flames are instantly recognizable to me as GGaHT and TTFAF. Less discussed songs like SIAS (Say It Ain't So), EFIL (Ever Fallin In Love), etc. should be typed out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreed till this guy started flaming.

As stated earlier, the community dosent adapt to you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-60t7xliTkU
http://youtube.com/zacklesauce
Armageddon  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the fact that the TC took a really aggressive tone with this. As I said in the past, I feel for the new (and even not-so-new) users that have to hear all of these acronyms that could easily be typed out. However, the examples he used (Green Grass and High Tides, Run to the Hills, and Won't Get Fooled Again) are staple acronyms of the RB (Rock Band) section of ScoreHero, so you better get used to it. I think it's good to be balanced: You should have a healthy (small but active) knowledge of the most common or famous songs in Rock Band, but it is ridiculous that people use acronyms for every single song. However, there isn't too much you can do about it, so just try to deal with it. Topic locked.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: