FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Whammy OD Rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkcr  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Whammy OD Rate Reply with quote

ajanata and I have been trying to figure this out for a while: what determines how fast your OD gains from whammying?

The normal observation is that OD gains at a rate of one beat of OD for one beat of whammy. But while commonly true, it isn't always true. Behold, Foreplay/Longtime (see chart here). Here's what we've figured out:

1st phrase: OD fills faster than 1:1.
2nd phrase: OD fills faster than 1:1.
3rd phrase: OD fills faster than 1:1.
4th phrase: OD fills at 1:1.
5th phrase: OD fills at 1:1.

This is somewhat confounding. What makes the first three special, and the next two not?

I also remember at some point whammying going at a rate slower than 1:1, but I can't remember exactly which song does this.

Anyone got any ideas?
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem that it's ever truely 1:1 though. A lot of times I either see the bar moving slightly to the left or slightly to the right while whammying while activated. Maybe I can notice it easier because I play on a projector which throws to ~6ft diagonally.

Last night, I noticed in the phrase that starts in measure 33 of Tom Sawyer that the bar moves slightly right by the end of the sustain (it started slightly to the left of a fret line and ended slightly to the right of the same fret line).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does whammy speed have anything to do with the speed of gaining it?
rkcr  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsupaintballer wrote:
Does whammy speed have anything to do with the speed of gaining it?

It never has for GH, and I don't know why Harmonix would suddenly change their tune for Rock Band. Here's an explanation from a dev.:

Phnord wrote:
I was a DEVELOPER on Guitar Hero I & II, and I can tell you that you are mistaken. Whammying works as follows:

* It only boosts your Star Power (will never effect the score)
* It only does so on note-trails of hold-notes WITHIN a star-power phrase
* The rate it boosts it at is NOT proportional to the speed of the whammy.

Basically, the game checks during a hold-note within a star-power phrase to see if the whammy bar is being moved at all, and if it's being moved over a certain threshold amount you gain Star Power at a constant rate.

The reason for this design choice is that we didn't want to make whammying an "essential" playing technique, as it would be if it directly effected the score. There are certain times that whammying sounds really bad, so we didn't want to encourage whammying in those places. Additionally, we didn't want to force the user to speed-whammy, because again that could sound like crap contextually.

I hope this clears some things up.

-Andy B.

Source: http://kotaku.com/350226/build-a-guitar-hero-auto-whammy-barless-bar#c3947554
teamjimi  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Hole Sun, on some whammys if you have OD already engaged, it still slowly drains.
BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamjimi wrote:
Black Hole Sun, on some whammys if you have OD already engaged, it still slowly drains.
IIRC, that's because the rate that the whammy drains is twice as fast as you can whammy a hold. There are some songs like that, and there are other songs that you gain whammy during whammying a hold under OD.

Also, while pathing SiaS on bass, I noticed a similar thing occur.
http://www.ajanata.com/charts/rb/bass/sayitaintso_bass_expert_blank.png
Look at the first two OD phrases. On the first phrase, you can get 1.75 beats of OD whammy, and on the 2nd, 3.25 beats. That makes 5 beats of whammy + the 16 beats you get from the 2 phrases originally. So altogether you should have 21 beats of OD. I activated on the next note to see where it ended. Instead of ending after 5 1/4 measures, it ended a bit later. It ended up going 5 3/8th measures. So that makes the activation last 21.5 beats. Take off 16 beats from the 2 phrases alone and you are left with 5 beats of whammy and 5.5 beats left in the activation. So therefore that would be a 1.1 to 1 ratio, not 1 to 1. Just thought I'd put that here.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with BPM.

Thats why Black Hole Sun has a noticable drain, but Highway Star and the like of other fast songs get extra during overdrive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: