FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Promotional Tron guitar - (Finished!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Promotional Tron guitar - (Finished!) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm making good progress on this unique guitar and I figured I'd start up the thread to keep track of my progress. I've been comissioned by my friends to build a promotional tool for their Boston area Rock Band bar night company (www.NightlyGigs.com) who I also run nights for. The purpose of this guitar is to draw people in from the street into the bar where they will join us rocking out. And so, it does not need to be a functional guitar which opens up all sorts of possibilities.
I floated around several ideas before coming up with the idea of a Tron themed guitar. I decided to go with a Tron theme since everything seemed to click with that idea. The new movie "Tron Legacy" is coming out later this year, and the general theme of "getting in the game" fits perfectly with the gigs.
It will have a custom skin by www.HeroGear.net , the body and pick guard outlined with glowing neon-like EL wire, and in place of the the strum bar a programable scrolling message LED display. Here's a mockup of the current design:

I have already recieved the programmable LED display and 2 sets of 10 foot blue EL wire. Both look awesome, look really easy to work with, and I should even be able to mod their control buttons to work on the 5 small solo buttons on the Strat! The LED display is programmable, stores 5 messages, has adjustable scroll speed, brightness, and the display fits perfectly in the strum bar hole.

I plan to attach the EL wire to outline the body, neck, and pick guard. It has a steady on, slow flash and fast flash modes. I plan to have the pick guard controlled separately, so you can have one set flashing while the other is steady, or whatever you want. I think the EL wire outline will be key to make this visible to people from far away. It could even be left in the window, flashing away to draw people in with little effort on your part. Once it catches their eye, the LED message can convey the message to get them in "Free video games inside, no cover to play!", "Rock Band and Nintendo Wii", "Game night at xxxxx bar", "NightlyGigs.com", "BriGuy is the coolest" etc.

UPDATE 2

I got my skin in the mail today and I quickly went to work. Here's some pics.
I applied the skin as carefully as I could using tweezers and popsicle sticks to aid in holding it without skin contract. There's a side by side pic of the EL wire which I have two of.

Applying the wire properly and fussing with the electronics are for another day, but here's a quick look at what it's gonna look like.

UPDATE 3

Update 4 - FINISHED!!

Some pics of the final design:

Thumbnails:
My buddy Shaun (of Nightlygigs) outside a gig. Like the blur!
Speaking of blur, the guitar slipped down and I had to catch it mid-shot.

And a first for me, animated gifs:

Last edited by BriGuy on Wed May 12, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks nice, but I did notice that it looks like a painted and modified RB strat. Hardware wise (like for playing and stuff, RB stock sucks), is it going to be different?

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
SPinD0cter  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy you never dissapoint. That looks sick.

But I think your flame guitar will always be the best.
Guitar Hero 80's FC's [18/30]
Guitar Hero 3 FC's [46/70]
Guitar Hero 5 FC's [73/85]
Guitar Hero Metallica FC's [28/49]
Guitar Hero Smash Hits FC's [33/48]
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:
It certainly looks nice, but I did notice that it looks like a painted and modified RB strat. Hardware wise (like for playing and stuff, RB stock sucks), is it going to be different?

It's made from a broken RB1 Strat and isn't meant to be played anyway. I'm installing the scrolling message LED display in place of the strum bar. The only other working buttons will be the solo keys which I am hijacking for control of the display and the 2 EL wires.
Actually, if I really wanted to I could make a Buckethead killswitch style strum button out of the back button, but probably won't go through the trouble.
SPinD0cter wrote:
BriGuy you never dissapoint. That looks sick.

But I think your flame guitar will always be the best.

Hehe thanks. It's amazing that I made that guitar over 4 years ago and it's still hard to beat. I keep trying my damndest though!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #2 See OP

Last edited by BriGuy on Tue May 11, 2010 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #3 See OP

Last edited by BriGuy on Tue May 11, 2010 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is crazy shit man !!! But why no strumbar ??? Is it just gonna be a trophy or is there going to be a different strumming mechanism ??
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was intended to be used strictly as a promotional tool, almost like a portable neon sign for Rock Band. If I really wanted to, I could have saved the functionality of the guitar and installed a Buckethead style killswitch strum button, but did not have to (or want to) go through the extra effort.
This was complicated enough already, and isn't really meant to be handled roughly or played on. Especially because of the EL wire on the neck near the fret buttons which is held on with fishing line and wouldn't stand up to much abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice. Have you thought of making custom RB1 strats with upgraded hardware, though? With the look and design of that guitar, you'd probably do it well.

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the neon wire surrounds the neck would make it very uncomfortable and odd to play, it's a good thing that it's simple an ornament.

Though this does beg the question what can be done with neon and guitars, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_O If that's not the coolest looking Rock Band instrument, I don't know what is. Even if it doesn't work, That's hella nice, man! You do real instruments? I bet my drummer would love you to death if you could do something like that for his electronic kit one day, just in green. xP I know I'd dig a real guitar mod from you!

RIP RBN
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Money For Nothing-esque neon. Great job!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All finished!!! I've consolidated all my posts in the first post.
If there is interest, I'll post more pics of the guts and the build. But's it's getting late tonight for all that. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome

ricecake  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one sexy guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: