FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Multi-instrument Charts (The Beatles: Rock Band)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajanata  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Multi-instrument Charts (The Beatles: Rock Band) Reply with quote

RB 1/2 and DLC | The Beatles: Rock Band and DLC

Related: Guitar/Bass/Guitar+Bass charts - Drum/Drum+Vocal charts - Vocal charts - Vocaltar charts - Full Band charts

Many apologies for not keeping the threads up to date. I wanted to have the RB2 charts up for release, but various technical and scheduling difficulties popped up and prevented it. Oh well, less than a day isn't bad turnaround, is it?

(Note: This message is copy-pasted to every thread, so ignore anything that doesn't apply to the instrument(s) involved as described in the thread title.)

These charts contain per-measure and cumulative scores, OD whammy beats, solo note counts, clock time since the last OD note before a drum activation fill, and BRE estimated upperbound scores.

For the vocals, these charts contain bare-bones vocals charts. Overdrive activation zones are not marked in the .mid as they are for drums, so I suspect any gap between phrases longer than a certain amount of time (either clock time or number of beats, I'm not sure yet) is a valid activation point. I don't have time to do the needed research for this right now, but I hope to get to it Real Soon Now™. The pitch lines are pretty decent at this point, though sometimes they seem to go off the top or bottom for some reason. The talky part indicator characters (#, ^, and *) are left on the lyrics in case anyone wishes to do any experimenting to try to figure out what the different ones mean, if anything. A * by itself is a percussion hit (I would expect this to be rather obvious).

Zip files with all charts removed due to obscene amount of disk space required, sorry.

A big thank you to rkcr, Revelus, and Sully for finding bugs. Thank pata70 for improvements to the vocal pitch lines. Thanks also go out to Krim and PeridotWeapon in this thread for information about solo bonuses and Big Rock Ending scoring. Big shoutout to debr for documenting Rock Band's .mid format and helping with some rounding issues. Kawigi found and described issues with non-x/4 measures which enabled me to fix them, and make a bit of the code much more readable (it was done in SUCH a stupid way and re-coding it made it much easier to read, and worked better, and was simpler. Yay stupid things).

A huge thank you to Deimos for assisting with DLC.

Rock Band 2 notes:

• Drum solos worked with no code change on my part, hurray! I did have to make it count notes correctly (and not count chords as single notes), but I don't think that qualifies. ;)
  • The delay for a drum activation fill showing up after an OD note has changed! I do not know what the new value is, just that it has changed. This invalidates all drum paths previously created for RB1 and DLC songs.
  • Eventually, I want to indicate hammer-on and pull-off notes on the charts, since they can be manually placed in RB2. This requires (very simple) investigation to determine how they are marked (probably just a flag in the mid with the notes) and an overhaul of the code to be able to draw HOPO notes.

General notes:

• Vocal "slides" (with the slanty pitch tubes) are not drawn at all. Any time a lyric is a +, pretend that the +'s pitch tube and the previous pitch tube are connected with a slanted pitch tube. I haven't tackled how to handle this between measures yet.
  • If there is a held guitar part note or a vocal note that extends out of or into a measure which is not in x/4 time, there may be issues with drawing the held line. I didn't find any test cases in my (admittingly brief) testing, so I don't know. Please let me know if you find one and it doesn't look right.
  • Overdrive backgrounds extend the exact range specified in the .mid file. Sometimes this is significantly shorter than the length of a sustained note (see third note in Foreplay/Long Time for example).
  • If a solo or BRE ends at the far right of a line, the note count/bonus score can get cut off.
  • The .mid BEAT track is now displayed on every chart. The game uses this to determine how long Overdrive lasts. A full bar of Overdrive always lasts for exactly 32 BEAT track beats. Most of the time this is 16, 32, or 64 noteboard beats, depending on tempo. Sometimes, it isn't (see the first break in Foreplay/Long Time for an example). I don't see the two events in the BEAT track doing different things in the gameplay (perhaps different stage lighting or something but nothing that matters for pathing), so I've drawn them all in the same color. If it isn't obvious, you want to look at the small red lines above every set of lines (this also makes a nice seperator for multi-instrument parts). Note that this DOES NOT affect whammy rate, only usage rate. Whammy is always based on noteboard beats.
  • Band per-measure scores, more or less. This is currently done "stupidly", and does not include vocals. It is "stupid" because it takes each instrument's per-measure score and multiplies it by the instrument's maximum multiplier, regardless of whether such a multiplier is possible yet at that point. Vocals is on the to-do list and maybe a smarter way of doing it.

If you find a problem with these charts not outlined above, please send me a private message and I'll look into it.

FAQ
(Yes, I have been asked some of these more than once.)

Q. What did you use to make these charts?
A. I wrote a program in PHP to parse the .mid files (using a library) and coded the rest from there.

Q. How long does it take to make the charts?
A. I completely revamped my code to do every single chart in one go, so it takes significanly less time than it used to. It also stores the parsed .mid files in a (very large file-size) format which it can read nearly instantaneously, instead of taking several seconds to parse the .mid file every time. For the first batch with 147 songs, it took 42 minutes to parse the files and make guitar, bass, guitar+bass, drums, vocals, voxtar, and full band charts; just generating the images from the cached parses took about 16 minutes.

Q: Can I host a mirror for your charts?
A: Not needed, as the 'official' location for them is now hosted on ScoreHero. Thanks for offering, though.

Last edited by ajanata on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ajanata
meister  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks! This is just what I asked for in the guitar/bass charts thread!

Except it doesn't have band per measure scores or vocal scores per measure

Edit- I just saw you're working on that, hope it isn't too much work!
also, my last post as a guitar god!

dogfoodnyc wrote:
Wow, you guys got Meister?! I am expecting this group to hit the top
RB3 Bass FGFC! 1st x-plat
My RB Thread- | Renegades of Funk Accomplishment Thread|Twitter|My YouTube channel Please subscribe!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MeisterSH PSN Name: justindeboer
ajanata  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't have vocals split out per measure yet, as I'm not exactly sure how I'd tackle that. I could do the stupid way and divide it based on percent in the measure only, or do it a bit better and weigh it based on the amount of actual vocals in the measure. At any rate it's not at the top of my priorities list at the moment. Full-band measure scores is silly without that on vocaltar, and slightly less so on full-band. I considered doing it for the full-band charts but decided to not worry about it just yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES thank you ajanata
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
evilgoat  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit these are amazing. Thanks!!

XBL ragnartheawful PSN Ragnar_the_Awful
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: ragnartheawful PSN Name: Ragnar_the_Awful
ajanata  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for Rock Band 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never thanked you for your charts, ajanata, so I'm gonna do that right now. They've proved invaluable, and I use them religiously while charting voxtar paths. Thanks for all your hard work, and it's especially awesome that you've managed to get them all posted for Rock Band 2 on release day.
- All 3,255 RB1 BWT stars collected (solo, voxtar, expert)

Voxtar guide.
Vosty3  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Vosty3 PSN Name: Vosty3
MrPulsar  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could post a zip or rar file with all vocaltar paths? Would love to have them all without having to individually gather them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MrPulsar
ajanata  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPulsar wrote:
Any chance you could post a zip or rar file with all vocaltar paths? Would love to have them all without having to individually gather them.

I used to post zips with the individual instrument charts, but they're simply too large for me to upload with my pathetically slow upload speed. I don't have shell access on the scorehero server, so I can't make the zips there from the files. Sorry. =\

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for The Beatles: Rock Band! Vocal harmonies are displayed (rather ugly). I realized after I started uploading the charts around midnight last night that you can't really tell where phrase markers and activation zones for harmony parts are, nor can you always see all of the pitch lines (if they overlap, you won't know which one the hidden one is following). I have also been made aware that the delay window in which activation zones show up has apparently increased, and that sometimes you can activate in the middle of a phrase. I do not have any plan of when I would be able to fix these issues, because the program's code is getting pretty messy (it took a lot longer to make this work than I would have liked, and it's a giant hack). It probably will have to wait a couple months.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ajanata, I just wanted to point out that Full Band affects the activation windows for Vocals. My band's pather has been using the charts, and some windows have not appeared when it comes to pathing. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHawk wrote:
Hey ajanata, I just wanted to point out that Full Band affects the activation windows for Vocals. My band's pather has been using the charts, and some windows have not appeared when it comes to pathing. Any suggestions?

Are they actually different between solo and band, or are the charts just sometimes wrong for both? Does this generally happen before/after tap sections? Also, is it Beatles or RB2?
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
CHawk  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
CHawk wrote:

Are they actually different between solo and band, or are the charts just sometimes wrong for both? Does this generally happen before/after tap sections? Also, is it Beatles or RB2?

It's for TB:RB. It seems to affect the very small activation windows. I'll have to double-check this theory, but since the vocal chart is shrinked in FB play, it may affect some windows appearing/not appearing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: