FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
No Part: thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems to be going in about thirty different directions at once. Can we please cut back on the quote abuse and focus on the OP and not if GH5 did it right or not or what the dynamics of a full plastic band should be?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Sorry, Hylian, clearly hadn't refreshed in a while and it wasn't showing the new page. Removed my post.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
goaliejack  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there should be equality across all instruments instead of just vocals being left behind
EDIT: wow, i didnt know that one of the pearl jam songs didnt have drums
i still think that this is a GOOD thing, it means that harmonix can move into any genre of music, although they should try to like find a replacement for the missing part, an extra guitar part or something, like on the PJ song, add a harmony vocalist, or a rythym guitar, or something. chart cowbell on drums (LOL), and i would still get it as i suck teribly at drums, not a bad idea IMO but idk what other people think, as im obviosly not the only one playing this game lol

Goals:
5 star GH2 [six>:/]

Last edited by goaliejack on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CEEDZ3 PSN Name: CEEDZ3
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goaliejack wrote:
i think there should be equality across all instruments instead of just vocals being left behind

Getting back on topic, it's this mentality that RUINS hope of no part songs being added.

Why in the world should HMX have to release a no bass song, a no drum song, and a no guitar song for each no vox song they have?

That is simply ludicrous.

As I have said before, no parts need never be looked at like this, but simply as: "Hey we have this entire album or 6 pack we want to bring to RB but 1 song lacks an instrument, oh well we can have a single no part and not ruin the entire album's chances for everyone".

I have also said no 3 pack should EVER have a no part, if HMX can't find 3 good songs by the band with all instruments, then it either doesn't deserve a 3 pack, or doesn't deserve to be in Rock Band. Obviously this is my opinion, but I don't think any of my logic is TOO insane.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
goaliejack  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
goaliejack wrote:

Getting back on topic, it's this mentality that RUINS hope of no part songs being added.

Why in the world should HMX have to release a no bass song, a no drum song, and a no guitar song for each no vox song they have?

That is simply ludicrous.

As I have said before, no parts need never be looked at like this, but simply as: "Hey we have this entire album or 6 pack we want to bring to RB but 1 song lacks an instrument, oh well we can have a single no part and not ruin the entire album's chances for everyone".

I have also said no 3 pack should EVER have a no part, if HMX can't find 3 good songs by the band with all instruments, then it either doesn't deserve a 3 pack, or doesn't deserve to be in Rock Band. Obviously this is my opinion, but I don't think any of my logic is TOO insane.

i edited lol read my post now

Goals:
5 star GH2 [six>:/]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CEEDZ3 PSN Name: CEEDZ3
Metalteeth  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:

I think this will be tested in a few weeks when The White Stripes come out. While both the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and thenewno2 do not have a bassist, there is still sort of a bass track on the master (rhythm guitar, or anything) but on the White Stripes, there just isn't any. So I think that will determine whether HMX will be more likely to give out no parts.
Capt.Howdy  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ While it's possible there'll be no bass track on the White Stripes stuff, there's (almost) always like 2 guitar tracks in each White Stripes song. And Jack White usually does some effects to make one lower pitched... so I don't see why that couldn't be charted as bass.

I just keep seeing this idea of bass being a total impossibility for the White Stripes songs, but I think Harmonix can come up with something clever to combat their lack of a bassist.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
GanonMetroid wrote:
that means we could get some Flight of the Conchords.

I can dream, right?

Dare to dream, my friend:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165648

I can't believe I missed this. I came buckets.

*crosses fingers for Rhymenoceros vs. Hiphopopotamus*

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
benjt82  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's HMX's game, they can do what they want with it. Instrumentals, acoustics, hell, even acapella for all that I care. If you, the customer, don't want to buy it because it excludes an instrument or vocals, don't buy it. And if enough people feel the same way, that certain track won't sell much, HMX will get the point (if they really care), and they'll quit doing that. But I've got a feeling that they wouldn't release a song if they weren't fairly positive that it would get a decent amount of purchases.

tl;dr Let them make the decisions about which songs they put in the game.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: benjt82
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're wandering really far afield from the discussion.

I think No Part songs are fine as far as inclusion - I just hate the way they're implemented in Rock Band.

I do think GH5 goes a little too far in the other direction (I can play an instrumental song on solo vocals and score 0 points... why?).

For quickplay of any sort, I have no idea why there are so many purists arguing that it takes away from the spirit of the game. It's just a game, you're not on a stage (usually). You're either in a room with friends, or you're playing online with other people you can't see.

With friends, I argue that it is more important to have fun and keep people entertained - and part of that includes not backing all the way out of the interface and kicking one instrument when one part either isn't playable - OR when no one wants to play a particular instrument at the moment.

Online, it's just as important.

Now, in Tour/Career mode, I absolutely agree keeping the sanctity of the 4 part band makes a lot of sense, as you're trying for a measure of verisimilitude. Double enforce this by only registering scores from a full 4 member band with G/B/D/V. These things make sense, and I don't think anyone would argue against it.

Otherwise, why do you care how other people are playing the game? If you want to play quickplay in a traditional setup, nothing is stopping you, even if you have the option to deviate. If you're a real guitarist and walk into a room and find another guitarist there, are you suddenly going to stop and say "oh, wait, one of us needs to learn how to play bass guitar... and we need to scare up a vocalist and a drummer too!" before you sit down across from each other and jam out some music? No? Then why would you enforce such rules on plastic musicians that you wouldn't apply to real ones?
MisterMixelpix  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I see no problem with songs having limited parts.

- Packs and on-disc songs should always be 4-man so no instrument is short-changed.

- The game should let bands pick songs in setlists that don't have all parts. it should just "discard" the excluded instrument highway for that one song.

Mixelpix has spoken. You can now close the thread.

solusdelgar1  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMixelpix wrote:

lolego.

RB3?
TTFAF 928k(OLD)
XBL GT: Final Blud420SH
My Twitter Account!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Final Blud420SH
JODIsBack  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMixelpix wrote:
- I see no problem with songs having limited parts.

- Packs and on-disc songs should always be 4-man so no instrument is short-changed.

- The game should let bands pick songs in setlists that don't have all parts. it should just "discard" the excluded instrument highway for that one song.

LEGO MY EGO!
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the one guy who was furious over the inclusion of YYZ, the first ever no vocal part song, I am strongly against this.

Why? Because it has been my view from the beginning that "No Part" songs should not be in the game, because in my opinion, it gets away from the core value of this great game, which is 4 player, full band play.

I mean, a part of me wants to just scream out "FUCKING FINALLY", but on the other hand, it goes against what I feel makes this game so great, and is ultimately a step backwards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BizCasFri wrote:
As the one guy who was furious over the inclusion of YYZ, the first ever no vocal part song, I am strongly against this.

Why? Because it has been my view from the beginning that "No Part" songs should not be in the game, because in my opinion, it gets away from the core value of this great game, which is 4 player, full band play.

I mean, a part of me wants to just scream out "FUCKING FINALLY", but on the other hand, it goes against what I feel makes this game so great, and is ultimately a step backwards.

Yeah, but we all knew that the inclusion of a "NO PART" was inevitable. Take YYZ for instance. It's amazing on guitar, bass and drums so there was no way that HMX would have kept it out of Moving Pictures because there aren't any vocals. Just because there isn't all 4 tracks doesn't mean that the song isn't going to be any less amazing and fun.

Also, I don't agree that it takes away from the full band play. There are what, 800+ songs? And only 10~15 songs have a single part missing? Pick a different song. A vocalist isn't going to be disappointed that they can't sing YYZ or Testify! I'd rather not have a part to play than sit around and hit 8 notes on drums, a la Polly. Now they could fix this by still allowing the instrument with "NO PART" still play along with the band and just have an empty track but the way HMX is dealing with it now works for me.

Rock Band is about playing songs that you love and enjoying it. If that means a NO PART track, then have at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: