FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DrumVox Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: DrumVox Newbie Reply with quote

So I have finally decided to go and start drumvoxing. I attempted some very easyesque songs tonight and struggled quite a bit.

It is actually pretty interesting. I spend the entire time watching the vocal screen but my early scores were
Troublemaker: 99 drums, 92 Vox
Pretty Woman: 99 drums, 93 Vox

These are probably 2 of the easiest non talkie songs out there to vox drum well, and I just can't get vox going.

I am looking for any types of tips. Also, my current setup is horrible. I simply have my RB2 mic hanging from the ceiling bout 8 inches about my lips in front of my face. Is it true that on PS3 you cannot use any type of bluetooth headset to sing vocals with? (That sucks =() What do people suggest that I use in this case then.

Thanks for anything =D. I realize there are other posts about this, but most of them are pretty outdated.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
dore  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A boom mic stand is ideal because you're going to want the microphone very close to your mouth at a low sensitivity (so that it doesn't pick up interference from your drums).

I really don't know how to help you get better at voxing because judging by your signature you're a solid singer . You just have to be able to match pitch by ear without relying on the visual cues. You can generally glance back and forth between tracks once you get comfortable memorizing charts measures at a time (as in, you see what's coming up and then use your peripheral vision to keep track of that chart while you focus on the other part).

The main thing I can say, though, is just stick with it and eventually you'll become more comfortable with paying attention to two tracks. It's a tough skill to learn. Just start out with songs that you know very well on vox and work from there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get a boom stand or something like that. I actually use a camera tripod for mine; the arm is long enough so that I can tape the mic on and still have it reach my mouth. Put the mic on low sensitivity so that the drums don't interfere with it.

Really, really knowing the song helps, obviously, especially if you really know the vocals. I can get 98 drums/96ish vocals on Tom Sawyer just because I listen to Rush all the time. Take time to familiarize yourself with both parts before doing them simultaneously.

Also, don't worry about the "percussion" parts. If you really want the score, make a loud click or "daht" noise into the mic (although that doesn't really work well all the time).
anonymous_104  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Jared1287  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've attempted this a few times, and I'm definitely going to need to invest in a mic stand, since my headset get's in the way of my drums all the time. But, I've tried a few songs, although, unlike you Internetguy, I suck at vocals.

It's really fun though, once you get the hang of it, so make sure you stick with it!
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: DrumVox Newbie Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
I am looking for any types of tips. Also, my current setup is horrible. I simply have my RB2 mic hanging from the ceiling bout 8 inches about my lips in front of my face. Is it true that on PS3 you cannot use any type of bluetooth headset to sing vocals with? (That sucks =() What do people suggest that I use in this case then.

Like the others here, I use a boom mic. However I do not change the sensitivity. I find if I'm singing it ok, the drums aren't getting in the way. I tend to concentrate more on the vocal line when I'm voxdrumming because I know the drum parts better, and also I think I lose more points if I "break combo" on vox than if I miss a drum note here and there.
MrPizza1771  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried DrumVox because I got interested in Multitasking with a broken arm, one which I still have, but I have played Voxtar by tying a knot in the mic cord and hanging it on a fan chain switch and hang it down to near my mouth and sing with max sensitivity. I would suggest the same thing, and try to sing really loudly so you can drown out the drum part.

Hope I helped,
Pizza

P.S. omg it's azurite...

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Mr Pizza1771 PSN Name: MrPizza17
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly when i started voxtarring i almost failed conventional lover. A VERY easy song to voxtar and a song i knew VERY well. Its all about practice and persistance. If you really want to get good at drumvoxing, you just need to do it every day. Keep on the early tier stuff and you will improve in no time. One of the songs i recommend to start with is my own worst enemy.

Also, no matter what anyone says, when you get good at multitasking you do NOT need to have either part memorized. You will be able to glance back and forth between vox and the instrument and/or notice the vox lines in your periferal vision. I also do not recommend breakneck speed as it gives you no time to adjust to the guitar line when concentrating on vox.

So all in all, keep practicing and the coordination will come.

good luck and happy multitasking
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
evilgoat  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voxdrum often, but I would do it all the time if I just invested in a boom mic stand. It is definitely the answer to most of the problems. All of the above techniques are great help. As for me, I play a song on drums a few times if I'm not familiar in general. Then the first time I voxdrum, I pay attention to drums and sing the song based on memory. Two or three runs like this, and I have memorized which part(s) of the song (vocally) I need to look up to reference. This has been an effective method for me, and I am always at 98% or better on both instruments.

Until I buy the boom mic stand, I have the mic in a regular stand off to my left. I play on a Yamaha DTXPress3 kit, so the noise is minimal and doesn't interfere. Hope this helps.

XBL ragnartheawful PSN Ragnar_the_Awful
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: ragnartheawful PSN Name: Ragnar_the_Awful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: