FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips on band formation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hailey's points about finding a consistent schedule from the start and people who are willing to say exactly when they are willing to get together is golden advice.

Take, for example, my first band that NEVER HAD A SESSION despite 10 pages of thread here trying to get all of us online at once.

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8934

Being the type of person I am, any time I said I would be online and ready to play, and I wasted hours and hours of my time that summer sitting around, watching different band members pop on, see that everyone wasn't online yet, and feel like they don't need to be the one to sit around and wait, so leave again. It was infuriating. Like Hailey says, if you ask for a specific time and they say "Oh, I'm always on, whenever," make them commit to a specific day and time or look for someone else if they won't do it.

And also, what Deschain is saying is good, too. It may sound mean on my part, but all-teenager bands don't seem to do as well as ones that are most or all "adults" (I use the term loosely ). If you look at the list of top bands, nearly all have at least one or two "grownups" in them. I have watched bands that were mostly teenagers turn down very talented adults just for being adults, but an adult presence to be a good influence and encourage responsibility can be key. Not to say an all-teenager band isn't going to work out, but someone is going to have to take charge or you will implode or fizzle out quickly. I suspect that this is why GH, having such a large percentage of its players being teenagers, has so few bands that stick together. Adults can be irresponsible, too, and teenagers can be responsible, but consider your odds.

Finally, a bit of insight from me based on my experience: unless you all already know what you are doing full-band wise (particularly pathing), it's much wiser to start off with the aim of being a casual band. You can be a superstar lineup but if no one knows how to path, you are going to get frustrated real fast with FBFCs that rank 5th and 6th or worse, and putting pressure on each other to FC stuff before you have gotten to know each other well can burn you out and turn you off to each other real fast. Play together for fun, get to know each other, feel out the other people's personalities, and then, if you are still working out, start looking to make it increasingly serious. Make sure it's a group decision. Periodically, my band will do a sort of checkpoint and make sure we are all in agreement about our goals and what we want to be doing with our time; we don't want to be re-grinding RB2 songs if only one person cares about our on-disk career score. Nor do we want to be just screwing around and putting up "meh" scores on DLC if people are really wanting to improve our standings in a certain category.

Overall, communication and responsibility are key in putting together a band that will last.

GuitarHailz wrote:

Is there a way someone could repost this thread on the GH side as well?

Bands are scarce over there, but I know the talent is out there. With GH5 and the lack of freeforms among other things, I can't see any reason why GH5 bands should be any harder to find than RB2 bands. This thread could certainly help.

Yes, going to work on that tonight. Very good idea.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Will Rock For Food All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: